Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My question would be whether the seller is obligated to pay a percentage to Ebay for keeping the lenses.
there should be a penalty for every course of action. not to mention, trying to orchestrate fraud.

03-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
there should be a penalty for every course of action. not to mention, trying to orchestrate fraud.
As a general policy this seems like it would penalize honest sellers whose top bidders flake out. They've already lost out on listing fees, why should they have to pay ebay (and/or paypal) a cut of something they didn't even get?

I did report that listing to ebay, but who knows what they'll do about it. A mail fraud scheme does seem the most likely -- I'm not sure how they could extract money from ebay or paypal.
03-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
As a general policy this seems like it would penalize honest sellers whose top bidders flake out. They've already lost out on listing fees, why should they have to pay ebay (and/or paypal) a cut of something they didn't even get?

I did report that listing to ebay, but who knows what they'll do about it. A mail fraud scheme does seem the most likely -- I'm not sure how they could extract money from ebay or paypal.
Because Ebay is started to look crooked. I see these ridiculous listings more and more. If you can prove that your buyer flaked out, and that your buyer isn't you, then you should be able to get an exception. However, between the sniping and the silly listings, it is starting to smell.
04-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Here's a good one we've been watching. Even if it was real (which I doubt), it's already been bid up to levels at least 50% higher than it's worth (on a good day).

Edit: link fixed.
Not bad, started at $89 and ended at $8,100.

04-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Not bad, started at $89 and ended at $8,100.
The same scam auction has started again
04-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe they think someone can somehow use it as a part of bazooka
04-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
Veteran Member

if the same bidders with "0" feedback shows up again, are there people here willing to to report that listing as to stop that nonsense? if the seller is involved in that scam, I hope he gets banned from dealing again. although having said that, eBay has always allowed that certain fella to keep on doing his shady business. I hope we don't see one of his alter-ago coming here and defending himself on behalf of himself.

04-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

and the item/s suddenly magically disappeared along with the seller. I dunno if eBay did a course of action or the seller was able to pull a houdini act. if someone paid for the item/s and got screwed, this would be a long tedious resolution dispute. I just wonder how much it finally went for since it was running around for $1200 during the 3 minute remainder.

anyway, can't believe a person who is selling 4 lenses would only post one type of lens and the conditions are not disclosed properly.
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
and the item/s suddenly magically disappeared along with the seller. I dunno if eBay did a course of action or the seller was able to pull a houdini act. if someone paid for the item/s and got screwed, this would be a long tedious resolution dispute. I just wonder how much it finally went for since it was running around for $1200 during the 3 minute remainder.

anyway, can't believe a person who is selling 4 lenses would only post one type of lens and the conditions are not disclosed properly.
I won't name names (although I'm pretty sure he's watching this thread ), but a good friend of mind had a similar experience on ebay and the circumstances were very similar. Very shortly after the auction ended, the seller's account disappeared, along with any record of the item. The "seller" has some BS excuse for why his account disappeared, but assured the buyer that the lens was on its way. It wasn't. My friend did get his money back (through ebay/paypal) after at least a month or two of going through the dispute process. No idea if the seller got away with the money or what ended up happening on his end.
04-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I won't name names (although I'm pretty sure he's watching this thread ), but a good friend of mind had a similar experience on ebay and the circumstances were very similar. Very shortly after the auction ended, the seller's account disappeared, along with any record of the item. The "seller" has some BS excuse for why his account disappeared, but assured the buyer that the lens was on its way. It wasn't. My friend did get his money back (through ebay/paypal) after at least a month or two of going through the dispute process. No idea if the seller got away with the money or what ended up happening on his end.
As a recent first time seller on ebay, I know that paypal holds your money for a certain number of days or until you receive positive feedback on something you've sold. So someone with 0 feedback probably couldn't cut and run with the money. I'm guessing paypal transferred it back to the buyer.
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
As a recent first time seller on ebay, I know that paypal holds your money for a certain number of days or until you receive positive feedback on something you've sold. So someone with 0 feedback probably couldn't cut and run with the money. I'm guessing paypal transferred it back to the buyer.
I'd certainly like to hope that's what happened.

The holding of money on ebay varies. I've only sold a few things on ebay (I generally dislike ebay for a whole host of reasons), but I know the first two times I sold something the money was held before it was released. Since then, however, I get the money immediately when I sell something and get paid. Now, in this case, with zero feedback, it's very likely the money was held from the seller. However the hold time is usually 21 days, and because it's an international sale, buyers sometimes wouldn't file a claim until after the 21 day mark because it's not uncommon for it to actually take that long. Sometimes the scammer go so far as to actually send something so that you'll have a tracking number, so often you're not 100% sure whether to file the claim until after the hold period. Again, I don't know specifically what happened in the case I was referring to, but I'm assuming that it's not impossible for the scammers to walk away with money otherwise there would be very little point in doing it to begin with.
04-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Looky here:

SMC PENTAX-A 1:5.6 400MM LENS AS-IS | eBay

Jimmied-up lens mount, generally beat to Hell, and I think maybe the rear element's gone... All this can be yours for the low, low price of $400, plus $30 shipping.

Deal of the century, no?

Cheers
Bobbo :-)
Back to the original subject, it seems to me that the sellers of the intact Pentax K mount 400mm have been sampling the crack as well. Not a one of them is at a price that wouldn't make me say "I can do without a 400mm lens."