Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 85mm 1.4 Sample Shots. Finally.

I thought about posting this in the share your photos section, but this is really more about the lens's performance than anything, really. It seems that photos with this lens on a pentax body are almost non existent online. I looked for weeks trying to find examples on pentax bodies and came up with squat. People seem to like or hate Sigma and some just enjoy knocking the brand. Well Sigma is a bit of a square I guess in the lens world, but I will say that they have come up with a beast here. These were all shot at 1.4 and 100 ISO in aperture priority. K-x. Lens worked flawlessly out of box. The pentax fa 85mm is a great lens.....I hear.....but finding good examples of it's real quality like these is difficult. Apparently people own this lens, but few ever use it If anyone has it and can upload a closeup portrait wide open, untouched, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by outsider; 04-02-2011 at 03:52 AM.
03-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WoW! Thank you so much for being as far as I know the first pentaxian to provide samples

Any full sized SOOC images for us to look at @ F/1.4 and F/2?

(particularly image #3)
03-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks....I'm surprised as well more samples aren't floating around. These images arent quite as nice as some of the ones shot with canon bodies on flickr, i'm assuming because many are full frame and/or most are quite highly processed. What's SOOC??
03-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Straight Out Of (the) Camera

03-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
Straight Out Of (the) Camera
^ this

They look fine, im just keen to see the full sized sample of the third photo
03-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sister 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
03-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

you do not have the original available for us to view. go to all sizes, click original, and right click the image. Than click where it says "copy image URL" (pending what browser you use) and paste it here

This is of course, assuming you do not resize/downsize for the web

03-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, there's not an option to bring up the original. I saved it in png format, with photoshop. Maybe save in jpeg, upload and it will give the "view original" option? Flickr only goes to "view large".
03-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
Hmmm, there's not an option to bring up the original. I saved it in png format, with photoshop. Maybe save in jpeg, upload and it will give the "view original" option? Flickr only goes to "view large".
Yes, just load the full jpeg straight from the camera into flickr
03-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aah, well the original file is in RAW format and flickr doesn't support that format. Not sure how else to get the original size, but believe me, it's SHAAARP!
03-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Aah, well the original file is in RAW format and flickr doesn't support that format. Not sure how else to get the original size, but believe me, it's SHAAARP!
convert straight to jpeg and upload it
03-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #12

I think Flickr may still limit max image size to 1024 unless you upgrade to the Pro account. I don't remember exactly because I'm on Pro at the moment and I can upload original sizes.
03-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
I think Flickr may still limit max image size to 1024 unless you upgrade to the Pro account. I don't remember exactly because I'm on Pro at the moment and I can upload original sizes.
I didn't even think about this. Yes, if you do not have flickr pro you do not have access to the original file size. Does anyone know a file uploading website that everyone used when the K-5 first came out so we could compare it to the K-7/K-x

Obviously, Im REALLY eager to get my hands on a full sized pentax image
03-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought about posting this in the share your photos section, but this is really more about the lens's performance than anything, really. It seems that photos with this lens on a pentax body are almost non existent online. I looked for weeks trying to find examples on pentax bodies and came up with squat.
That's because the Pentax mount version of this lens has only very recently been available, and as has been mentioned above, I think you're one of the first few Pentax users to actually have the lens. The sample photos looks pretty much like the hundreds of samples in Canon mount that I've seen: sharp, and with really nice, smooth bokeh, but it can be hard to get the focus just right at f/1.4, e.g. in your first photo, it looks like the eyes aren't 100% in focus. Congrats on the lens.
03-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't use the wide open my FA* 85 if enough light available, but it definitely is able to produce enough resolution in DOF at 1.4, although I usually close it down to 2.0, since I find those portraits with sharp eyes and blurred ears being plain simply ugly, especially for this sigma with its nervous bokeh.