Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
I don't use the wide open my FA* 85 if enough light available, but it definitely is able to produce enough resolution in DOF at 1.4, although I usually close it down to 2.0, since I find those portraits with sharp eyes and blurred ears being plain simply ugly, especially for this sigma with its nervous bokeh.

To each their own

03-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
Aah, well the original file is in RAW format and flickr doesn't support that format. Not sure how else to get the original size, but believe me, it's SHAAARP!
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I didn't even think about this. Yes, if you do not have flickr pro you do not have access to the original file size. Does anyone know a file uploading website that everyone used when the K-5 first came out so we could compare it to the K-7/K-x

Obviously, Im REALLY eager to get my hands on a full sized pentax image
If you [Outsider] have dropbox, you can upload the original photo into the public folder and provide the link to the file.
03-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dasuhu Quote
If you [Outsider] have dropbox, you can upload the original photo into the public folder and provide the link to the file.
thats the one I was thinking of! Thanks dasuhu
03-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't use the wide open my FA* 85 if enough light available, but it definitely is able to produce enough resolution in DOF at 1.4, although I usually close it down to 2.0, since I find those portraits with sharp eyes and blurred ears being plain simply ugly, especially for this sigma with its nervous bokeh.
I don't find it that nervous, unless my eyes are betraying me now.

03-31-2011, 01:34 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Well Sigma is a bit of a square I guess in the lens world, but I will say that they have come up with a beast here.
Thanks for posting the samples. I hope we'll some more in the future.

Has this lens resolved your AF focusing problems?
03-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
You're right pops...wide open it does have some trouble at the distance of the out of focus shot above, but i'm thinking it was the time of day/weather. Overcast as the sun was going down, it was pretty crummy weather actually. But it does incredibly well even in less than ideal lighting at nailing the focus in portraits any closer than the oof shot above. People talk about difficulty with shallow DOF using wide apertures, but, as my gut feeling indicated, this was a non issue with close ish portraits. I.Q. and ability to hit focus spot on is betten at 1.4 than my tamron is at 2.8.
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks for posting the samples. I hope we'll some more in the future.

Has this lens resolved your AF focusing problems?
Thanks, i'll have more to come. I convinced my sister to be my human subject for the first portrait test And you know...with this test (using the 85 on my sister here) I've learned so far that the best thing for getting the eyes in focus using autofocus, is to aim for the eyes, eyes, eyes. For most of the shots i took of her, I would just compose on the middle of face, between eyes, and ever so slightly move to my left and work the shutter button (partially depress) several times, as though asking the camera "are you sure, are you sure, positive you're locked on?". Working the focus using the shutter is a bit of an obsession for me. It keeps the camera thinking and helps it make the fine adjustments while pointing at the area of interest. My assumption is that not enough people use patience, those extra 1 or 2 seconds get the focus right. The focus is a relationship between the camera, lens and how you're reacting to what's happening, half seconds at a time. Not the ability of the equipment, necessarily. But to answer your question my focusing issues have been resolved by my technique (go for the right OR left eye not the bridge of nose), and the closer you are to the face, the greater succes rate. I don't think i'll be backing up farther from the subject than what I can fit in the picture of the head and some upper torso. Beyond this, without fair lighting will not give enough contrast for the camera to grab the front face/eyes....instead it will likely grab the side of head (area of contrast where head and background meet). Which has happend plenty of times with me.

03-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I don't find it that nervous, unless my eyes are betraying me now.
I wouldn't call the bokeh, quite so, "nervous". It had seemd a bit more....how to say...."edgy", than other 85's (canons, pentax), but i've learned you don't know how exactly the lens is going to perform until you use it on the respective body and see the image on a proper computer screen. I will say that the bokeh is less edgy, more soft than what I expected it to be (the harder bokeh lines, circles in the canon examples). But one thing i'm pretty damn pleased about is the center sharpness.
03-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shoot, i replied to the wrong person.....sorry pentaxor. Still getting a hand of this interface...
03-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wouldn't call the bokeh, quite so, "nervous". It had seemd a bit more....how to say...."edgy", than other 85's (canons, pentax), but i've learned you don't know how exactly the lens is going to perform until you use it on the respective body and see the image on a proper computer screen. I will say that the bokeh is less edgy, more soft than what I expected it to be (the harder bokeh lines, circles in the canon examples). But one thing i'm pretty damn pleased about is the center sharpness. I read a lab test of this lens among the nikkor 85 1.4 G, Canon's 85 1.2 and 1.4 and the results were fairly suprising....the sigma held it's own, or bettered all 3 in many areas...
03-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you wan't, I can send you the raw file.....email or msn live messenger
03-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

If you wan't, I can send you the raw file.....email or msn live messenger
can I post the full sized image here for everyone to check out for themselves?
03-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Ok I got permission. Here's the DNG images converted to Jpeg with nothing else done to them.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5577457743_bcb0457cf8_o.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5222/5577457749_e90640c541_o.jpg

and very basic editing with LR3 (fill light, etc.)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5578050410_a596159402_o.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5138/5578050422_cefe6f9f1e_o.jpg
03-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Niice!! Thanks Man!!
03-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Yeatzee & Outsider, thanks for working together to get these to us. I like what I see & to think the lens was in my "cart" a few weeks back.