Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 03:01 AM   #1

Help with Vivitar lens please

I am trying to figure out how I can use this lens. I originally thought I needed a T-Mount(wrong!), so I thought maybe someone here could help me out.

I have attached pictures of the lens and the removable mount (think it is a Minolta). Is there a mount that will allow it to work with my K-7 and other Pentax film cameras? If so where can I get one?

Thanks!

Last edited by dhugo3; 11-03-2012 at 09:00 AM.
03-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #2

I may be wrong but in the back of my mind I remember that Vivitar experimented in marketing a system similar to the Tamron adaptall system. Not sure it sold all that well. If I am correct they would have has a pentax mount available.
03-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That is the Vivitar T4 interchangeable mount, Minolta version shown. I am uncertain if T4 is made in K-mount, I know there exists M42 T4 mount which can be adapted via M42-K adapter.

edited -- Correction: changed TX to T4

Last edited by rhodopsin; 03-31-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Correction: changed TX to T4
03-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's not adaptall, it's a T4 mount.

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

I do not know of any T4 to K-mount adapters, but there are T4 to M42 adapters.

03-31-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
That is the Vivitar TX interchangeable mount, Minolta version shown. I am uncertain if Vivitar made TX in K-mount, I know there exists M42 TX mount which can be adapted via M42-K adapter.
Not TX either. If it were TX it would be marked TX.
03-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not TX either. If it were TX it would be marked TX.
Thank you for the correction boriscleto. I corrected my previous post. Mount on lens pictured is T4, not the later Vivtar-only TX mount. There are many lenses with T4 mount, not only Vivitar.
03-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's not adaptall, it's a T4 mount.

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

I do not know of any T4 to K-mount adapters, but there are T4 to M42 adapters.
The most common T4 to M42 adapter is marked PX. These have to be modified because although they have a switch kind of like an A-M switch on a Takumar, it doesn't stick in the M(anual) position. You need that to adjust the aperture with the ring. The modification is easy.

Soligor and Vivitar sold T4 adapters and lenses. The lenses might all be Tokinas, like this 300/5.5.

There's a T4 to M42 adapter with a better switch, marked ES. I never thought it was worth tracking down, but if you stumble across it, it's easier to use.

You can use the TX adapters too, they are only a little different, and there's a TX to K adapter. That would also have to be modified in the same way. The TX to K adapter allows a TX lens to be used like it was a Pentax K or M lens, but when it's modified and used on a T4 lens, the lens works like a typical M42 lens instead.

You can usually find the adapters on eBay, properly identified. Or if you like adventure, a lot of these lenses are sold by people who have no idea about T4, TX, etc. The rectangular bump is easy to pick out in a photo. In a few weeks you can have a modest collection of lenses and adapters.

03-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, definitely T4. I had a T4 Vivitar-Tokina 28/2.8 (#3718xxx) with a T4-M42 adapter. I sold that lens because it *didn't* have an M/A switch, just a stop-down button. So to use it, one must 1) preset the aperture, 2) aim and focus, 3) strain the left hand to reach the (stiff) stop-down button, while 4) pressing the shutter. This is sort of a three-hand job, and I am short by one . I have been tempted by no T4 lenses since then. I suggest *very* careful evaluation of a T4 lens before spending money on one.