Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Like the cool effect on your flower shots. What softness setting did you dial in for each?
Thanks, unfortunately I donít remember what aperture I used, nor did I write it down after I took the shot. No exif data when you shoot film!

Phil.

11-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
gofour3, the link to that manual is now gone. I'm curious as to why focus confirmation won't work? I had the same problem with a 135mm f2.8 macro. The lens had a rotating front element that was supposed to be for macro, but ended up working like a soft filter, making everything glow. But it was really hard to use, because focus confirmation would get farther adn farther away from what I actually saw through the viewfinder as i rotated that ring. Nobody else had any idea why, and I would like to know just for having the knowledge.

Charles.
11-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #18

Great lens, congratulations! I like it more than F/FA 85/2.8 soft that I also tried. The images are sometimes crazy magic.
11-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #19

sweet lens.

11-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, a simple snapshot in poor lighting of a subject that didnt really wanted to pose for more than a second:
Ha! That sounds like the same attitude I usually get from the three "models" that I share the house with. And that expression on your model's face looks very familiar too!
11-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm really curious about this lens.

My wife is always complaining about my portraits shots looking 'too sharp' and yes I could soften them in PP but the effect is not the same (even using portraiture software to do the job). Are there any filters that could be added that would have the same effect ?
11-19-2011, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I'm really curious about this lens.

My wife is always complaining about my portraits shots looking 'too sharp' and yes I could soften them in PP but the effect is not the same (even using portraiture software to do the job). Are there any filters that could be added that would have the same effect ?
You can get filters that also have the soft focusing effect, but this lens is going to be way better.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
gofour3, the link to that manual is now gone. I'm curious as to why focus confirmation won't work? I had the same problem with a 135mm f2.8 macro. The lens had a rotating front element that was supposed to be for macro, but ended up working like a soft filter, making everything glow. But it was really hard to use, because focus confirmation would get farther adn farther away from what I actually saw through the viewfinder as i rotated that ring. Nobody else had any idea why, and I would like to know just for having the knowledge.

Charles.
Looks like Pentax Imaging has nuked all the old manuals, here is another copy that I saved. Sorry I can’t help you with focusing as I only have MF film cameras. I’d recommend focusing this lens manually.

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Soft_lens_85mm_f_2.2_01.pdf (338.1 KB, 271 views)
04-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #23
D0n
Banned

the aperture ring is normal... mine is like that as well.
three tips for use:
1) up your contrast and saturation a bit for in camera settings (or do it in post)...
2) for portraits, try it with hard lighting... trust me... you'll be happy...
3) combined with the af 1.7 teleconverter, this lens really shines, even on digital aps-c bodies...

04-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Had another go at using this lens yesterday. It really does like harsh backlighting!
05-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
the aperture ring is normal... mine is like that as well.
three tips for use:
1) up your contrast and saturation a bit for in camera settings (or do it in post)...
2) for portraits, try it with hard lighting... trust me... you'll be happy...
3) combined with the af 1.7 teleconverter, this lens really shines, even on digital aps-c bodies...
Good suggestions.

I was thinking that higher contrast and saturation might help it.

The last shot shows how it laps up harsh lighting.

Am wondering how a teleconverter might help it?

I'm mighty tempted to pop down to the shop I saw the 2.2 Soft in earlier this month... aargh LBA.
05-24-2012, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Am wondering how a teleconverter might help it?
I tried with AF 1.7x, it increased the effect even more. The manual even suggests using with teleconverter.
05-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I tried with AF 1.7x, it increased the effect even more. The manual even suggests using with teleconverter.
Excellent. Thanks for letting me know.

I've just found an "as new" 85/2.2 soft... looks like I'll have to cave in and get it. Wife won't be happy... well, not until I take some shots of her and the kids with it.
05-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

This might be an interesting lens to play with on a Q.... 470mm soft!
05-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unsinkable, I look forward to seeing your photos from your new lens.
01-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Unsinkable, I look forward to seeing your photos from your new lens.
The 2.2 was sold, and I haven't seen one in HK since.

That might be a good thing in that I just came across a 99% mint 2.8, and I'm hoping it will play well with P-TTL.

I just got a Metz 58 v2 and it has hugely elevated my family portrait shots. I'm thinking the new flash and a soft portrait lens might be fun together.