Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Using the manual SMC A 50MM F1.7

I'm currently considering buying the SMC "A" 50MM F1.7 secondhand (a few on ebay) & wondered how easy it is to use on the K10D. I intend to use it for portrait photography (occasionally). Also is it a good quality lens ?

would appreciate all feedback

thanks

simon

10-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi Simon,

I picked up an SMC A 50mm 1.7 a while back (also on Ebay) and have been very satisfied. If you set the aperture ring to the 'A' setting you can use the lens in all exposure modes, but of course you still have to focus manually. With the crop factor it makes a nice short tele portrait lens, and I've used it with a helicoid extension tube for some macro work (have to stop down to 5.6 or so to get decent sharpness and contrast, but keep in mind, it wasn't designed for macro). If you can get one for a good price, go for it. You won't be disappointed.
10-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Mine's not 50mm, but an A lens - the 28/2.8. Really simple to use on a digital body, the focus dots in the view finder help with focusing - though I miss the larger vf of 35mm on my K100D. Go for it!
10-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
TDN
Forum Member

It's one of my favourite lenses!

Metering is just like a modern lens, only difference is AF, or the lack thereof.

Once you practice a little, you get the hang of MF very quickly and it's really a superb lens!

Tom

10-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
I'm currently considering buying the SMC "A" 50MM F1.7 secondhand (a few on ebay) & wondered how easy it is to use on the K10D. I intend to use it for portrait photography (occasionally). Also is it a good quality lens ?

thanks

simon
You have to set the lens in A position (next to f32 and pushing the small button) then you can use the camera in Av priority but first you have to make a change in the menu custom to allow the aperture ring to work. Every time you switch the camera on you will have to select the focal length in order to make the shake reduction work properly.

Hope it helps

BTW, the lens is awesome. I have 2 copies (1 in the marketplace) and both work really well from f2 to f11
10-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, thats made my mind up for me

Now all I need to do is find one at the right price !!

simon
10-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Mine's not 50mm, but an A lens - the 28/2.8. Really simple to use on a digital body, the focus dots in the view finder help with focusing - though I miss the larger vf of 35mm on my K100D. Go for it!
Just remember that the red squares only indicate which focus spot the camera is using. The actual focus indicator is the green hexagon at the bottom.
10-26-2007, 10:31 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Every time you switch the camera on you will have to select the focal length in order to make the shake reduction work properly.
Greetings
What value should be entered if it is a zoom lens?
Minimum or maximum or one at which it will be used. I'm using K100D.
Thank you
andy

10-27-2007, 04:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xandy Quote
Greetings
What value should be entered if it is a zoom lens?
Minimum or maximum or one at which it will be used. I'm using K100D.
Thank you
andy
You just dial in the longest focal length (i.e. 70mm on a 28-70 zoom).
10-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
You just dial in the longest focal length (i.e. 70mm on a 28-70 zoom).
Thanks a lot !
andy
10-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
TDN
Forum Member

FYI, there are a few for sale in the marketplace here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/13774-fa-film-s...ses-go-go.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/13897-fs-a50-1-7-a.html

thought I'd let you know

Tom
11-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Hello everyone here!

In connection with the lens under discussion I would like to ask the following:

Are there any significant differences between the f2 , f1.7 and f1.4 versions of SMC A 50mm?
I would use it on my K10D.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Buksikoma; 11-21-2007 at 01:51 AM.
11-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
ms7

At the moment I have both the f1.4 and f1.7 lenses. They are soft wide open and so I usually stop down one or two settings. The f1.4 is a lovely lens but heavy compared to the f1.7 - I did not notice any differences in image quality though some users report a slightly better contrast with the 1.7 So in summary, either one is an excellent buy if you can get your hands on them. On Ebay, you might have to pay substantially more for the f1.4. I doubt if the additional money is a good investment, you may decide for yourself.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buksikoma Quote
Are there any significant differencies between the f2 , f1.7 and f1.4 versions of SMC A 50mm?
11-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ms7 Quote
At the moment I have both the f1.4 and f1.7 lenses. They are soft wide open and so I usually stop down one or two settings. The f1.4 is a lovely lens but heavy compared to the f1.7 - I did not notice any differences in image quality though some users report a slightly better contrast with the 1.7 So in summary, either one is an excellent buy if you can get your hands on them. On Ebay, you might have to pay substantially more for the f1.4. I doubt if the additional money is a good investment, you may decide for yourself.
You need to remember that all lenses have their best optical quality stopped down 1-2 stops minimum,

When you buy a very fast lens, like the 50mm f/1.4 you are primailry buying it for either very low light, or to have the brightest viewfinder possible.

With low light the extra stop can make the difference between the shot and no shot.

Please also remember as someone has already noted, wide open, the depth of field of a f/1.4 lens is very shallow, you may be confusing "soft" with out of focus.
11-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote

thanks

simon
I have this lens and it's flippin' amazing! beats my fa35 2 and k135 2.5 in sharpness, and these lenses are sharp!

only downside, I'm now so spoiled when it comes to sharpness any zoom is a huge disappointment