Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

There is virtually no chance this fungus ridden lens will "infect" your camera or other lenses, as fungus is not a contagion. On the other hand, if you store your camera and lenses in a dark, humid and warm place, you are likely to have fungus growing in your camera and lenses whether the fungus ridden lens is present or not.

Have you tried taking pictures with the lens in this state? I've seen pictures taken with lenses with major fractures in the front element deliver flawless images when shot at large apertures. Only when the lens is stopped down, does the fractures in the front element become a factor.

I'd say your M50/1.4 is about par with my Super Takumar 50/1.4. I took a few shots with my lens and it didn't seem to have any effect on the the image, so it would have been a waste to consign any lens like this as a paperweight. Anyways, as I was more interested in taking it apart and cleaning it, I took the lens apart and took the offending piece of glass and went through trying to wash the fungus off with soap and water, bleach solution, straight bleach, Zippo lighter fluid and finally soaking the glass in acetone.

Did it work? Almost all of tendrils are gone, but under certain light I can see something like lens haze that has the general outline of the original fungus patch. This might be what's called fungus etching the coating but there is nothing to feel on the glass. I keep wanting to go and take some shots with this lens and every time I pack my bag to include this lens, it rains. I hope to take this lens and shoot at all apertures to see whether I can see the effects of the cleaning or not.

Thanks,

04-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Have you tried taking pictures with the lens in this state? I've seen pictures taken with lenses with major fractures in the front element deliver flawless images when shot at large apertures. Only when the lens is stopped down, does the fractures in the front element become a factor.
A question arose on another forum that led me to do some test shoots yesterday with a couple of old uncoated iris-less Kodak Copy Ektars: a clear 53/3.5 and a fungus-y 65/3.5. Yes, I used hoods. They've no iris, no stopping-down, always wide-open. Both are sharp; both are subject to flare (they're not designed to shoot *into* lights!). The difference was that when shooting contrasty scenes, the fungus-y 65/3.5 went all soft and flare-y, quite so, while the clear 53/3.5 had the sharpness and contrast and IQ that I'd expect from such glass. Even evenly-lit subjects showed quite less contrast with the fungus-y lens.

Point being, that different damage has different effects. Severely scratched or cracked front elements don't necessarily show their damage if used right -- avoid direct light, don't stop down, etc. Damaged rear elements *do* negatively affect IQ. And so do fungus and haze and tons of dust. That fungus-y lens would be usable for soft portrait work, like smearing vaseline on the lens front. Turning lemons into lemonade, eh?

Do we have a thread here somewhere comparing images from focked-op lenses? Maybe someday I'll sacrifice some glass, see just how much damage it can take before the effects become noticeable. Let's see, I don't really *need* three minty M50/2's, do I? [/me reaches for ice pick...]
04-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I live in Vietnam (Saigon, not Hanoi) too and the going rate for a full-service CLA for this type of lens is about 50,000 - 100,000VND (about $2.50 - $5.00). Big stores won't touch those as it's not worth their time, you will have to find those who offer the service at home. Ask around, there should be plenty of places like that in Hanoi as the Hanoians love manual focus lenses.

Good luck!
Have you had much luck buying new pentax lenses in Saigon, as I go down there from time to time with work?
I only know of this place (www.tixiai.com.vn) up near the airport. And have also spent a couple of hours door knocking on all the photo shops in the city centre, only managed to see a few lenses.
04-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote

I'd say your M50/1.4 is about par with my Super Takumar 50/1.4. I took a few shots with my lens and it didn't seem to have any effect on the the image, so it would have been a waste to consign any lens like this as a paperweight.
Thanks,
I have tried taking afew photos: outside, with the appature stepped down, photos were ok, i guess comparable with a bad $7 instant kodak camera you'd pick up from a Kmart clearance bin. Wide open, in a very dark corner of the shop, they were quite good, however, they did look a bit hazy and lacking contrast, but definitely there was potential for the lens to be excellant with clean glass.

I am picking up the lens tonight after work, as it has just undergone it's service, so I am counting down the hours till I pick it up... hopefully I will not cry if it was not fixable .

04-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentAdam Quote
Have you had much luck buying new pentax lenses in Saigon, as I go down there from time to time with work?
I only know of this place (www.tixiai.com.vn) up near the airport. And have also spent a couple of hours door knocking on all the photo shops in the city centre, only managed to see a few lenses.
I don't buy new lenses in Vietnam because:

1) They are expensive
2) You are never sure if they are really new even from the bigger stores

I only buy used lenses and take them to a few well known lens cleaners here in Saigon to clean them up. That usually works really well.
04-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #21
Forum Member

What should you use to actually clean the fungus off the elements?
I read a topic many months ago suggesting some chemicals that would do a good job. Can't find said topic though.
04-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RichyX Quote
What should you use to actually clean the fungus off the elements?
I read a topic many months ago suggesting some chemicals that would do a good job. Can't find said topic though.
Cold cream. I tried it myself. Works really well.
04-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #23

Original Poster
Just got the lens back, and the verdict is....

...cactus!!!...lens has had it, and the coating on the element is damaged where the little spots of mould were residing.

The good news is, I have a perfectly good M50 f1.4 for sale!!! Just serviced, and everything is well lubricated and moves, first to see will buy, my loss your win, etc etc!!!!!!

I will take it apart and try to put it back together, it is now destined to be a learning lens.