Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

Should I buy?

I found 2 older Pentax lenses and wonder if there are good buys because I'm a newbie and not too familiar with older Pentax lenses.

1. Pentax SMC P FA 24-90mm f/3.5-405 AL, price $250

2. Pentax SMC P 100mm f/3.5 Marco, price $200

They are both displayed model, new old stock. I have called Pentax and was told that they will have 1 year warranty if anything goes wrong.

I'm thinking of using the 24-90mm as a walkabout lens. I do not like the 18-55mm kit lens. I do not have a marco lens and would like to get one if price is reasonable.

Any advice is welcome with regard to prices and usage.

I have a K7.

Thanks.
foong

Last edited by foong; 04-01-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: mistakes
04-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to check the forum lens database for information on lenses. Here is a link to the FA 24-90. And here is a link to the 100 MACRO.

The 24 - 90 is not well regarded according to the lens database but I think it has a useful range and it is on my wanted list. I owned the FA 100mm f/3.5 macro lens for a while. I eventually sold it because I had Takumar macro lenses that covered the same range. This version is a consumer lens with a plastic build. I really did not like it but I found nothing wrong with the results it produced, I just had other lenses I liked better.

Can't speak for the prices, you could do a search on fleabay for closed listings. I think both of these sold there recently but I don't remember what the sell price was.
04-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 24-90 is certainly usable, but it is a little flimsy, and the IQ is really no better than the kit lens. I'd recommend the 18-135mm instead, as its IQ should be slightly better as is the overall build quality and AF speed.

The macro is sharp, but it's also meant to be a budget lens. I'd recommend a manual macro instead, as it will give you a lot more control over the focus. A perfect candidate that comes to mind is the M 100mm F4. Should be available around $100.

By the way, if you do decide to go with the FA, Adorama has it in bargain condition for $149.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: