Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #1

Ordering "new" FA* lenses

Hello everybody,

I'm new to participation in this forum. I was wondering how one would go about ordering FA* lenses with weather sealing? I have read elsewhere on this forum that this is an option, but I have not found anything in my searches that indicates how one would go about this. My apologies if this is already covered in a separate thread (I tried to find the answer before asking).

04-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well the FA* lenses have long since been discontinued, and were manufactured before Pentax started incorporating weather sealing at all, I believe. Pentax's current line of DA* lenses are, unless I'm mistaken, ALL weather-sealed, and done so by default. Don't have to order them in any special way.
04-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA* lenses are (unfortunately) out of production. DA* lenses are weather-sealed, and you can buy them at B&H, here:

Pentax DA* lens

For a complete list of DA* lenses, see our database:

DA* Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
Does "discontinued/out of production" mean that there is no longer an option for a built to order 300/2.8 or 600/4 even without weather sealing?

04-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Definitely not for the 300/2.8, but you can call Pentax and ask about the 600.

Sigma makes a nice 300/2.8 that you can buy: Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG Autofocus Lens for Pentax 195109 B&H

Apart from that, ebay is a good option for used Pentax lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're a serious telephoto photographer.
What you'd be after are the DA* lenses since none of the FA* lenses are weather resistant.
With bodies like the K-5, the need for f/2.8 at 300mm+ focal lengths are becoming less justifiable. (OK, I know it's not quite as straight forward as that)
We're waiting for Pentax to come out with their DA* super telephoto range of lenses...
In the meantime, they're quite amenable to special orders of lenses such as the 600/4 and 250-600.
Enjoy the forum.
04-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
We're waiting for Pentax to come out with their DA* super telephoto range of lenses...
Who is "we"?
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
In the meantime, they're quite amenable to special orders of lenses such as the 600/4 and 250-600.
In the meantime one can also look at what third-party lens manufacturers such as Tamron and Sigma have to offer.

04-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Who is "we"?
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting...
Me, Ash and several others. We're easy to recognize--blue faces from lack of oxygen.