Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #46
Pentaxian
Emacs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,221
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Nah i dont think its colours that gives off this effect, the 3d effect can be just as strong in colour or black and white etc...
I thinks its more to do with how the oof area is transitioned in the rendering...
For me they are colours. The most 3Dsh BW pics don't look as much 3Dsh as colours ones are


Last edited by Emacs; 04-07-2011 at 03:08 PM.
04-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #47
Senior Member
Armanius's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 112
Great discussion, but for those who own the lens, how about posting more photos?
04-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #48
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Armanius Quote
Great discussion, but for those who own the lens, how about posting more photos?
I agree. and preferably nice ones.
04-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #49
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I agree. and preferably nice ones.
Bad ones can tell a lot about a lens though

04-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #50
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Bad ones can tell a lot about a lens though
exactly,
04-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #51
Senior Member
Armanius's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 112
I just want to see lots of pics! My preference is portraits or people photos. But I'll take any and all photos on the Siggy so that I can see how good (or bad) it is. Thanks!
04-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #52
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,201
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
But the subjects dont look to have the same 3D feel to them like the FA*85 and FA77 lenses do.
I believe the "3D feel" is partly created by the lighting situation and PP as well. Lens rendering plays a role but unless we've seen the same scene shot with these three lenses, I don't think we can make a reliable statement about how they compete in terms of "3D feel".

I'm sure one can produce pretty "flat" shots with the FA* 85/1.4 and FA 77/1.8 but people don't tend to post these...
04-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #53
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I believe the "3D feel" is partly created by the lighting situation and PP as well. Lens rendering plays a role but unless we've seen the same scene shot with these three lenses, I don't think we can make a reliable statement about how they compete in terms of "3D feel".

I'm sure one can produce pretty "flat" shots with the FA* 85/1.4 and FA 77/1.8 but people don't tend to post these...

Good point.

04-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #54
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
Yeah like i said its still early days for the siggy so far, and have only seen a handfull of pics from it, still would like to see more.
04-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #55
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I believe the "3D feel" is partly created by the lighting situation and PP as well. Lens rendering plays a role but unless we've seen the same scene shot with these three lenses, I don't think we can make a reliable statement about how they compete in terms of "3D feel".

I'm sure one can produce pretty "flat" shots with the FA* 85/1.4 and FA 77/1.8 but people don't tend to post these...
This is very good point. Unless you take pretty much the identical shot with the two lenses you want to compare, it's pretty tough to pass judgement on one lens or another based on a few samples taken by different photographers of different subjects in different light.
04-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #56
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 412
Original Poster
I actually think the sigma 85 has more 3D look to it. I think it's the pentax 85's bokeh, it's almost too fluffy. Not bad, but seems to detract just slightly from the 3d effect. Could be the chinese food too I spose. The sigma has a more dramatic "in your face" bokeh it seems. Or it could be the center sharpness that makes everything look more dramatic. Portraits just seem more exciting to look at. It's hard to explain. Bokeh is one of those things you can't see, but is very apparent and can change everything. Here are a few more photos with the Sigma 85 all at 1.4, aperture priority, no post processing, except blue one and a couple crops.














04-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #57
Pentaxian
Emacs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,221
QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
I actually think the sigma 85 has more 3D look to it. I think it's the pentax 85's bokeh, it's almost too fluffy. Not bad, but seems to detract just slightly from the 3d effect. Could be the chinese food too I spose. The sigma has a more dramatic "in your face" bokeh it seems. Or it could be the center sharpness that makes everything look more dramatic. Portraits just seem more exciting to look at. It's hard to explain. Bokeh is one of those things you can't see, but is very apparent and can change everything. Here are a few more photos with the Sigma 85 all at 1.4, aperture priority, no post processing, except blue one and a couple crops.
Outsider, those are very good shots, but its no match to ones that 77 is able to produce.



I began shooting from July 2010, this one was made in August 2010. So, the shot could be much better.
04-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #58
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I believe the "3D feel" is partly created by the lighting situation and PP as well. Lens rendering plays a role but unless we've seen the same scene shot with these three lenses, I don't think we can make a reliable statement about how they compete in terms of "3D feel".

I'm sure one can produce pretty "flat" shots with the FA* 85/1.4 and FA 77/1.8 but people don't tend to post these...
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
This is very good point. Unless you take pretty much the identical shot with the two lenses you want to compare, it's pretty tough to pass judgement on one lens or another based on a few samples taken by different photographers of different subjects in different light.

Totally agree.
One can argue forever about such things and there will never be a conclusion w/o actually having side by side shots using the said lenses.

Sigma 85/1.4 is avaliable NOW. FA*85 was avaliable YESTERDAY.
To new entrants to Pentax, its certainly a viable short tele/portrait lens option rather than hunting down an elusive FA*85.
Hopefully Pentax does wake up and re-introduces a new 85mm.


However, I love my FA*85 and to me the extra $100 for it is worth every cent.
04-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #59
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
still no side to side comparison?
04-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #60
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Outsider, those are very good shots, but its no match to ones that 77 is able to produce.



I began shooting from July 2010, this one was made in August 2010. So, the shot could be much better.
I like the FA77, but I won't draw to that conclusion yet with only a few limited samples coming from the Sigma on a Pentax body.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
atiim, flickr, jones, k-mount, k-x, pentax lens, photography, portrait, sigma, sigma 85mm, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Film Pentax Zoom-90 WR: The Real World Test ismaelg Post Your Photos! 1 07-20-2010 01:38 PM
Real world TEST review K-7 Adrian Owerko Pentax News and Rumors 9 09-01-2009 10:46 AM
Some K-7 Real World images yakiniku Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 08-02-2009 09:13 PM
Real world shootout Pentax FA* 24mm F2.0 vs Sigma 24mm EX DG F1.8 NaClH2O Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 03-18-2008 05:30 AM
K100D vs Sigma SD14, part II, the real world little laker Post Your Photos! 17 01-29-2008 05:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top