Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Nah i dont think its colours that gives off this effect, the 3d effect can be just as strong in colour or black and white etc...
I thinks its more to do with how the oof area is transitioned in the rendering...
For me they are colours. The most 3Dsh BW pics don't look as much 3Dsh as colours ones are

Last edited by Emacs; 04-07-2011 at 03:08 PM.
04-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Great discussion, but for those who own the lens, how about posting more photos?
04-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Armanius Quote
Great discussion, but for those who own the lens, how about posting more photos?
I agree. and preferably nice ones.
04-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I agree. and preferably nice ones.
Bad ones can tell a lot about a lens though

04-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Bad ones can tell a lot about a lens though
exactly,
04-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #51

I just want to see lots of pics! My preference is portraits or people photos. But I'll take any and all photos on the Siggy so that I can see how good (or bad) it is. Thanks!
04-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
But the subjects dont look to have the same 3D feel to them like the FA*85 and FA77 lenses do.
I believe the "3D feel" is partly created by the lighting situation and PP as well. Lens rendering plays a role but unless we've seen the same scene shot with these three lenses, I don't think we can make a reliable statement about how they compete in terms of "3D feel".

I'm sure one can produce pretty "flat" shots with the FA* 85/1.4 and FA 77/1.8 but people don't tend to post these...

04-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I believe the "3D feel" is partly created by the lighting situation and PP as well. Lens rendering plays a role but unless we've seen the same scene shot with these three lenses, I don't think we can make a reliable statement about how they compete in terms of "3D feel".

I'm sure one can produce pretty "flat" shots with the FA* 85/1.4 and FA 77/1.8 but people don't tend to post these...

Good point.
04-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Yeah like i said its still early days for the siggy so far, and have only seen a handfull of pics from it, still would like to see more.
04-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #55
Veteran Member

This is very good point. Unless you take pretty much the identical shot with the two lenses you want to compare, it's pretty tough to pass judgement on one lens or another based on a few samples taken by different photographers of different subjects in different light.
04-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I actually think the sigma 85 has more 3D look to it. I think it's the pentax 85's bokeh, it's almost too fluffy. Not bad, but seems to detract just slightly from the 3d effect. Could be the chinese food too I spose. The sigma has a more dramatic "in your face" bokeh it seems. Or it could be the center sharpness that makes everything look more dramatic. Portraits just seem more exciting to look at. It's hard to explain. Bokeh is one of those things you can't see, but is very apparent and can change everything. Here are a few more photos with the Sigma 85 all at 1.4, aperture priority, no post processing, except blue one and a couple crops.

04-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
I actually think the sigma 85 has more 3D look to it. I think it's the pentax 85's bokeh, it's almost too fluffy. Not bad, but seems to detract just slightly from the 3d effect. Could be the chinese food too I spose. The sigma has a more dramatic "in your face" bokeh it seems. Or it could be the center sharpness that makes everything look more dramatic. Portraits just seem more exciting to look at. It's hard to explain. Bokeh is one of those things you can't see, but is very apparent and can change everything. Here are a few more photos with the Sigma 85 all at 1.4, aperture priority, no post processing, except blue one and a couple crops.
Outsider, those are very good shots, but its no match to ones that 77 is able to produce.

I began shooting from July 2010, this one was made in August 2010. So, the shot could be much better.
04-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
This is very good point. Unless you take pretty much the identical shot with the two lenses you want to compare, it's pretty tough to pass judgement on one lens or another based on a few samples taken by different photographers of different subjects in different light.

Totally agree.
One can argue forever about such things and there will never be a conclusion w/o actually having side by side shots using the said lenses.

Sigma 85/1.4 is avaliable NOW. FA*85 was avaliable YESTERDAY.
To new entrants to Pentax, its certainly a viable short tele/portrait lens option rather than hunting down an elusive FA*85.
Hopefully Pentax does wake up and re-introduces a new 85mm.

However, I love my FA*85 and to me the extra $100 for it is worth every cent.
04-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #59
Veteran Member

still no side to side comparison?
04-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Outsider, those are very good shots, but its no match to ones that 77 is able to produce.

I began shooting from July 2010, this one was made in August 2010. So, the shot could be much better.
I like the FA77, but I won't draw to that conclusion yet with only a few limited samples coming from the Sigma on a Pentax body.