Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 85mm 1.4: A real world test.

A test of the Sigma 85mm 1.4 lens. All shot at 1.4, aperture priority on K-x, with just a few with slight lighting effects. No sharpening. Exposure was spot on in most of the shots. More photos are in the sigma 85mm set.

The Set: Sigma 85mm 1.4 EX DG HSM with K-x - a set on Flickr

Last edited by outsider; 04-02-2011 at 09:22 PM.
04-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty sharp. That last shot I like the best. Great details in the eyes.
04-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
A test of the Sigma 85mm 1.4 lens. All shot at 1.4, aperture priority on K-x, with just a few with slight lighting effects and black and white. No sharpening Nonsense. Exposure was spot on in most of the shots. More photos are in the sigma 85mm set (flickr). Not sure how to get the images to show on this page, but the links should work.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5022/5582002884_911521af39_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5221/5581416519_74b6cf25c2_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5581995414_49b87b2795_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5095/5581406519_df971e4ce9_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5263/5581994514_1cc41faa26_b.jpg

The Set: Sigma 85mm 1.4 EX DG HSM with K-x - a set on Flickr

just replace the URL wrap around the HTTP link with an IMG wrap, note: remove the "wide" word.
you should be able to post the images here then after.
04-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

looks very nice on a 1.5x crop sensor. the important thing is it doesn't show any blooming on high contrast situations. anyway, I'm interested on seeing some color tests that would show the intensity and vibrance of different colors on real world applications. a full view would be nice as well.

04-02-2011, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

This lens seems like a hard one to beat! Reviews everywhere are very positive and there doesn't seem to be any mention of quality control issues. Now, if only the price were cut in half...
04-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
This lens seems like a hard one to beat! Reviews everywhere are very positive and there doesn't seem to be any mention of quality control issues. Now, if only the price were cut in half...
even if it were sold at 2/3 of the price, it would sell like pancakes in an instant.

not to mention it would kill the sales of any existing 85mm lens.
04-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree, looks pretty darned good! Dammit. That makes 2 thousand-dollar lenses that I know I want.

04-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
just replace the URL wrap around the HTTP link with an IMG wrap, note: remove the "wide" word.
you should be able to post the images here then after.
Urrg....I'm not sure still. You'll have to explain it in more detail, or i'll just leave be. Never had to deal with this before. I will say this website is very particular about everything.
04-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Urrg....I'm not sure still. You'll have to explain it in more detail, or i'll just leave be. Never had to deal with this before. I will say this website is very particular about everything.
Huh?

Posting a photo is easy and Flickr makes it even easier, though it is best to work within the Flickr policy to make sure that they will serve the photo correctly. You must wrap the image tag in a link going back to your Flickr image page. (They have filters to detect deep links.) Here is how it works from the Flickr side of things:
  • Go to the Flickr page for your image
  • At the top of the page are several icons (envelope, facebook, twitter). Click the down arrow to the right of these icons to display a tree of "sharing" options.
  • Expand the "Grab HTML/BBCode" section, select BBCode (the markup language used by Pentax Forums), and the size image you want to share.
  • Copy the BBCode from the text box into the "compose message" box here on Pentax Forums
Regarding size, there are guidelines somewhere in the FAQs, with the general rule of thumb being that you don't post full-size, full-resolution images. In fact, it is poor form to post images over about 900 pixels wide. That is where the imgwide tags come in. The intent is to support panoramas, not 16 megapixel images. These rules/guidelines/conventions are pretty much the norm for online photo forums and fairly loose compared to some other sites that I am active on. The intent is to spare the viewing user the pain of huge downloads and endless horizontal scrolling.

For lens test images, a good compromise is to post an image of about 800 px on the long axis to this site and provide a link to the full resolution image at Flickr or elsewhere. Another option is to provide full resolution crops to post along with the full frame reference image.

Steve
04-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Huh?

Posting a photo is easy and Flickr makes it even easier, though it is best to work within the Flickr policy to make sure that they will serve the photo correctly. You must wrap the image tag in a link going back to your Flickr image page. (They have filters to detect deep links.) Here is how it works from the Flickr side of things:
  • Go to the Flickr page for your image
  • At the top of the page are several icons (envelope, facebook, twitter). Click the down arrow to the right of these icons to display a tree of "sharing" options.
  • Expand the "Grab HTML/BBCode" section, select BBCode (the markup language used by Pentax Forums), and the size image you want to share.
  • Copy the BBCode from the text box into the "compose message" box here on Pentax Forums
Regarding size, there are guidelines somewhere in the FAQs, with the general rule of thumb being that you don't post full-size, full-resolution images. In fact, it is poor form to post images over about 900 pixels wide. That is where the imgwide tags come in. The intent is to support panoramas, not 16 megapixel images. These rules/guidelines/conventions are pretty much the norm for online photo forums and fairly loose compared to some other sites that I am active on. The intent is to spare the viewing user the pain of huge downloads and endless horizontal scrolling.

For lens test images, a good compromise is to post an image of about 800 px on the long axis to this site and provide a link to the full resolution image at Flickr or elsewhere. Another option is to provide full resolution crops to post along with the full frame reference image.

Steve
Thanks. Just never had to use this in the past. No reason to know
04-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
looks very nice on a 1.5x crop sensor. the important thing is it doesn't show any blooming on high contrast situations. anyway, I'm interested on seeing some color tests that would show the intensity and vibrance of different colors on real world applications. a full view would be nice as well.
This gave me results that pretty much blew me away. Little bit of purple fringing here and there, but not bad for wide open IMO. I think the true test of a piece of equipment despite tests, numbers and hype, is what you see at the end of a long, exhaustiung day, slumped at the computer screen. It did everything I wanted it to do, and then some. Of course the sensor helped a bit as well
04-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This gave me results that pretty much blew me away. Little bit of purple fringing here and there, but not bad for wide open IMO. I think the true test of a piece of equipment despite tests, numbers and hype, is what you see at the end of a long, exhaustiung day, slumped at the computer screen. It did everything I wanted it to do, and then some. Of course the sensor helped a bit as well
true. although I could live with a bit of pf which doesn't look that challenging to fix basing on the samples that you've shown. I have much tougher task with the M85/2.
04-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

So far looks good, not mind blowing though, need to see more to real world photos to base a conclusion from samples
04-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
So far looks good, not mind blowing though, need to see more to real world photos to base a conclusion from samples
Yeah, I think the main thing missing is the lack of pixel power. I don't think there's enough resolution with this sensor to blow anyones mind. I'm wondering if the K-5 would make much difference. Too bad it's not 20+ pixels.
04-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think the main thing missing is the lack of pixel power. I don't think there's enough resolution with this sensor to blow anyones mind. I'm wondering if the K-5 would make much difference. Too bad it's not 20+ pixels.
that is why there's the SD1. although it is not Pentax but rather Sigma. this is the other reason why I'm holding back on purchasing this lens. I'm contemplating on using it for FF with the 20+ MP Canon 5D MK II or the pseudo-MF resolution SD1 which has an estimate of over 30+MP (46MP foveon resolution numbers). I'm sure the high-res Sigma 150mm macro would be awesome with that camera.