Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think the imagaes look a bit soft. Don't think it's the cameras as some have suggested. I use an old K10D and a newer KM...both are capable of very sharp pictures...but I always use Pentax lenses.
I'm a fan of Pentax lenses myself, but I looked at those in 100%, and they aren't soft.

04-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Yes, there are sexual components involve when taking photographs of women as well, also consider the culture. certain culture gives women that confidence or let's say empowerment. for those kind of culture, women are given more freedom to exercise and use their sexuality either for advantage or personal gratification. I'm not sure though if women are more vain than men, but I can assure you that women can be that vain. why so, I haven't seen men wore thin clothings during winter time, but women brave the weather wearing skimpy clothes even at below 0. so if a woman wears that kind of clothing, it is more to show off some skin rather than trying to hide or prohibit you from looking. so if you can see it, it doesn't matter nor make any difference for them if you take some photos as well. wearing such an attire is already an invitation saying, come and take a peek (pic). same with someone wearing a swimming attire on the beaches.

as far as making alibis and getting comfortable on taking a strangers photo, I'm in agreement with the testing my new camera routine. aside from that, you can say that you are a photography understudy and it is part of your project and assignment. or you can pull out the silly lost in translation tourist. I know it's funny, but it does work with people if you talk like a person with very poor English grammar. anyways, there are times that I even get approached by people to get their photos taken (with or without their camera for fun), and take that opportunity to shoot them with my camera as well. also some people that just pop right out infront of you or pose for you eventhough you never intended to shoot them. there are some crazy folks out that that makes photography fun and I'm sure that both parties would appreciate such thing. having said that, there are exceptions to locations and culture as well. and those are the ones that can make you ol grumpy.
04-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks outsider for the details. I guess it is either my look or what. I am afraid to go photographing people alone - I bring my gf with me. But I will try to do it this weekend... There is some kind of earth day celebration going on.

Will have to let my gf know about it in case she need to go to police station to bring me back... LOL

I do like to photograph women n kids, if I take photograph of guys.... is even weird.
I will use the photography portfolio project/ testing out new lens (though the FA85 definitely doesn't look new!).

Lee
04-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Why hunt and pay a high price for an old and discontinued FA* 85mm when you can pick up a new, silent focusing Sigma for less money? And there is little if any to fault image quality wise.
More Sigma 85mm f/1.4 images from a friend of mine. Definitely much nicer subjects to look at.
The new Sigma 85mm 1.4 for Pentax
I kind of agree. Although it would be nice to have something all metal. But I had a feeling that the sigma 85 was significantly sharper than the FA and I think I was right. I think some of the hype surrounding the FA 85 is the fact that it was the only lens of it's kind for pentax, until now.

04-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #155
Forum Member

Talking a little about future-proofing here. One more reason why I would like the HSM/SDM better over screwdrive is during movie recording. It's going to be fast and silent. You need speed to track a moving subject (within reasonable limits) and you may not want the AF sound, even if it's an external mic. Pentax DSLRs have already gotten into the VDSLR war starting with the K7. In fact, I bought my K7 because it had the most customizable VDSLR video available at the time (excluding the 5DMk2, which was too fat for my pocket). Ofcourse, live view AF was a joke. But look at K5 now. CD-AF done in a snap! And let's say you can do AF during movie recording in a future firmware update, or even in the next Pentax model (K3??!!). The HSM/SDM is going to be an invaluable asset for those of us looking at video, given that you'll be struggling with thin DOF relying on the less than ideal onboard-LCD.

I'm still within topic talking about the real world use for the Sigma 85mm
04-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
I kind of agree. Although it would be nice to have something all metal. But I had a feeling that the sigma 85 was significantly sharper than the FA and I think I was right. I think some of the hype surrounding the FA 85 is the fact that it was the only lens of it's kind for pentax, until now.
LOL
The FA* is sharp enough wide open. As for your shots, I wonder why you shew them: those pores, pimples
Again, this poor sigma yellow cast is still here.
Congrats, you bought a lens for PP

Last edited by Emacs; 04-27-2011 at 01:12 PM.
04-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think the imagaes look a bit soft. Don't think it's the cameras as some have suggested. I use an old K10D and a newer KM...both are capable of very sharp pictures...but I always use Pentax lenses.
Dude, these are about as sharp as they come period. @ F/1.4 they are unbelievably sharp

04-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
LOL
The FA* is sharp enough wide open. As for your shots, I wonder why you shew them: those pores, pimples
Agian, his poor sigma yellow cast is still here.
Congrats, you bought a lens for PP
Done putting down his purchase and trying to justify yours? I mean seriously whats with this comment?

The lens looks great, and someday I can't wait to own one
04-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Done putting down his purchase and trying to justify yours? I mean seriously whats with this comment?

The lens looks great, and someday I can't wait to own one
obviously trolling around. as if no lens on his line-up needs PP.

but anyways, kudos for those people who are able to give some useful and beneficial insights regarding the Sigma. it's one heck of a lens and there's no denying it (unless if you are being an ass). atleast Sigma stepped up to the plate where Pentax is nowhere to be found.
04-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
This image just may have sold a Sigma 85 1.4

Not just the incredible sharpness at that aperture, but the smooth transition to OOF and bokeh... Very 3-D.
Here's what the A* 85/1.4 can do, wide open, on my old *ist DS (it's a PF machine though, but in this case there's no sign of it).

04-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Here's what the A* 85/1.4 can do, wide open, on my old *ist DS (it's a PF machine though, but in this case there's no sign of it).
wow. pretty amazing! very amazing! purple fringing would not be a problem for me with something that renders center sharpness, contrast and skin tone like this. You just make minor adjustments when possible. I'm willing to bet it doesn't PF any more than the sigma 85. I love the feel of pentax manual lenses, working them, nailing focus. But i've found even with my good eyes, getting it right can be very tricky. Sometimes my eyes think it's in focus and it's another story when I see the image on a moniter. I think the tricky thing about manual focusing, in real world scenario, is that the lens in your eye is constantly making micro adjustments/movements while you're looking through that viewfinder. This eye lens movement can throw your active judgement of an in focus image off. It's just a conjecture of mine. Then there's the times when you just can't see enough detail to make confident focal assessments. Maybe I just don't have the discipline of the hardened, old school photographers. Practice is perfect. There are active things one may do to increase chances of getting at least 1 in focus shot, but whether one is willing to do them is another story. Thanks for the share.
04-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
I'm willing to bet it doesn't PF any more than the sigma 85.
I wouldn't bet my eggs on that assumption. I had seen A* samples that are really notorious for it, this is aside from the CA concern as well (although I wouldn't mind if it was only LoCA and not the harsh type). I believe that's the difference between the two lenses. although both lenses have this high degree of contrast compared to other 85's, the difference in terms of CA and PF separates both lenses.
04-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #163
Veteran Member

No photos from my Sigma 85/1.4 to post up yet, but compared to my Sigma 50/1.4, I've noticed that it focuses just a little bit slower. I'm really liking the new, smooth finish of the lens too, compared to the older EX finish.
04-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
No photos from my Sigma 85/1.4 to post up yet, but compared to my Sigma 50/1.4, I've noticed that it focuses just a little bit slower. I'm really liking the new, smooth finish of the lens too, compared to the older EX finish.
Still faster than my 85L. I love that lens, but is is slow compared to the 135L or my Sigma 50mm f/1.4..
04-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Still faster than my 85L. I love that lens, but is is slow compared to the 135L or my Sigma 50mm f/1.4..
You're talking about the EF 85mm/1.2L eh? I browse over at POTN quite a bit, and the Sigma 85/1.4 has got a lot of people talking, and comparing it quite favourably to the 85L.
I probably should clarify, the Sigma 85/1.4 isn't slow at focusing at all, it's just that compared to the Sigma 50/1.4 (which focuses quite fast), it doesn't zip into focus as quickly .