Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
Did I do good? ... What do you think? I skipped on the old bodies. I didn't know if they were worth anything.
I'm curious about the bodies too. Looking at the lens list he may have had some decent bodies. Depending on the body and condition it's in it may be worth more than any one of those lenses individually. But I'm one who enjoys using older film bodies.

04-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Congrats on the haul!

I can't tell if it is yellowed or not. When I look at the grass with it it looks a little yellow, other colors or on white or gravel, no. I guess I'll find out later if it shows up in a picture.
Telling if it's yellowed is pretty easy. Take the caps off the lens, hold it up in front of something white like a piece of paper, look through it and see if the paper looks yellow. Thankfully, it's also very easy to correct. All you need is a little bit of sunlight.
04-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Congrats on the haul!

Telling if it's yellowed is pretty easy. Take the caps off the lens, hold it up in front of something white like a piece of paper, look through it and see if the paper looks yellow. Thankfully, it's also very easy to correct. All you need is a little bit of sunlight.
That depends on what latitude you live at. It took me 3 months to clear the yellowing off a S-M-C 50/1.4. Sunny is not how you would describe CNY in the winter.
04-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That depends on what latitude you live at. It took me 3 months to clear the yellowing off a S-M-C 50/1.4. Sunny is not how you would describe CNY in the winter.
Yes well in CNY you generally can't see the sun in the winter for all the lake effect cloud cover during the day anyway!

04-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I read to make sure I get the original pentax like you said. Do you know where I can get an original pentax one?

pentaxusa.com.

If you like manual lenses you did well. If not, then less so :-)
04-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Congrats on the haul!

How do you do it?
04-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All say Super-Takumar Asahi Petax:

35 3.5
50 1.4
55 1.8
28 3.5
135 3.5
200 4

Did I do good? They all screw on so I don't know how to make them work with my k-x but I took a chance. According to the lens database I did real good. What do you think? I skipped on the old bodies. I didn't know if they were worth anything.
No, You did lousy.. I'll give you $100 plus shipping for the lot just so you can make a few $$ on them.

sarc

Get yourself a genuine M42 adapter from Pentax and strap them babies on. The money you saved on the lenses will more than cover the cost. The 50 f1.4 alone is worth more than what you paid. That is, assuming they are in at least good condition.

Great find.

04-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you do it?
Wrap the front element in a piece of aluminum foil. Place the lens in a south facing window with the rear element pointed towards the sun. I seem to recall that as a yellow ball that gives off heat.
04-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
No, You did lousy.. I'll give you $100 plus shipping for the lot just so you can make a few $$ on them.

:sarc:

Get yourself a genuine M42 adapter from Pentax and strap them babies on. The money you saved on the lenses will more than cover the cost. The 50 f1.4 alone is worth more than what you paid. That is, assuming they are in at least good condition.

Great find.

I believe it has some yellow, that and the 55. Not a huge amount. The aperture blades look good but there is a little rust (I guess it's rust) on part of one of the blades, but it opens and closes fine. That's good to me.

I ordered the adapter from Pentax. I can't wait to try these out.
04-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe it has some yellow, that and the 55. Not a huge amount. The aperture blades look good but there is a little rust (I guess it's rust) on part of one of the blades, but it opens and closes fine. That's good to me.

I ordered the adapter from Pentax. I can't wait to try these out.
The 55 shouldn't have any yellowing. It did not have a thoriated element. The only Taks with Thorium were the 50/1.4 and the 35/2.
04-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok.. I still think you did pretty well. Even yellowed, the 50 f1.4 can go for that on the bay. The 1.8, at least $40. The typical asking (admittedly I don't follow them to see if they get it) for the rest is at least $60-$90 each.

04-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a nice lineup of lenses, but you should've taken the bodies as well!

The 55 and the 35 are the only ones I have, but the cost me about 50$ to get, so you did good. The 55 is sharp at all apertures and I've never had a really bad flare problem with it. The 35 is also amazingly sharp, but is a bit slow for my liking, and so I tend to reach for the vivitar 28mm when I need wide angle.
Focusing with the 35mm on a full-frame PRISM with split image is a bit touch and go. Focusing with it on a DSLr with an APS-C sized finder and no prism seems like it would be an exercise in masochism.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but that's been my experience with the 35mm. However, it has tremendous DOF and is a bit forgiving of focus errors. It's worth a try, and some of those other lenses should be quite a bit easier. In any case, best of luck with your new lens collection!
04-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I don't mean to be discouraging, but that's been my experience with the 35mm. However, it has tremendous DOF and is a bit forgiving of focus errors. It's worth a try, and some of those other lenses should be quite a bit easier. In any case, best of luck with your new lens collection!
I have a S-M-C 35/3.5 and don't find focusing difficult at all on a K-x. In fact, it is quite a bit easier to focus than the 50/1.4 wide open.
04-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I also hate you.
But now you must visit us.
So we can rub your head for luck.
You scored an extraordinarily good haul.
04-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
From recently completed evilbay auctions ....
  • 35 3.5 ..... $30-$73
  • 50 1.4 ..... $39-$50
  • 55 1.8 ..... $15-$159
  • 28 3.5 ..... $38-$102
  • 135 3.5 .... $42
  • 200 4 ...... $21-$99

Some came with cameras attached. Some of the prices made no sense, however I did not look at how they were described or their condition (however one for the lowest price was described as "mint").. Regardless, $85 for the lot was a very good acquisition.

I only own the 50 1.4, but I can tell that's not the price for that lens. you got no chance of it going under 50, the reason is that M42 lens are a bit more "wanted" it'll work for all DSLR brand but Nikon. The MD/MC/FD stuff 50 1.4 already go at around 50, and that suckka doesn't even work on any DSLR.

The 50 1.4 is floating around 100 if i remember correctly.