Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
I have shot both of these in canon mount and owned the Sigma for 2 years. Here's my perspective.

Tamron
pros:

sharper at f/2.8 (especially towards the corners)

cheaper.

cons:
no full-time manual. Have to use focus clutch which works ok, but could be better.

build quality slightly worse than the Sigma in my opinion. Feels more plastic.

autofocus is louder and slower than the Sigma. It's ok, but doesn't even compare in low light (at least on a Canon body).

Sigma
pros:

Very nice build quality, although the finish will start to flake off over time and I don't care for the texture of it on the older models (I like the new Sigma finish)

HSM-very fast to focus and nearly silent. Better in low light and smoother focus tracking as well.

Cons:

Not as sharp at f/2.8, especially in the corners. My copy was great after three trips to Sigma, but still not quite as good as the Tamron. In the corners the Tamron will always win, but that doesn't matter if you generally shoot with a shallow depth of field.

Slightly more expensive.

04-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That Nikon version certainly scrub up well in this series - as it should for what you would have paid for it.
yes Ash..it almost killed me....but I has a store credit for almost that amount...and I doubt Ill ever be in that position again ...plus I got a good deal on a used {500 shutter release} body....so for me ..its been a sidestep with only a extra $400 spent ..and with almost the same lens line up...

If any of you guys are seroiusly looking for a good priced 70-200...you can go wrong with a Tammy.....if you wanna spend double..the sigma is a step up..no two ways about it..the OS version that is..dunno if its twice the step up though

.....if you wanna go stupid...follow me...as Im heading down a long stupid path...LMAO

I think what the crops show...is that 200 FL on the sigma OS ..with a 100% crop is as good if not better than the Bigma and at stops quicker

I know its OT as the OP wants info on the Tammy...but its good info for anyone looking at the contant aperture 70-200 line up ..

Last edited by Tommot1965; 04-04-2011 at 11:04 PM.