Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Normally I'd recommend the genuine Pentax adapter, but in this case I think you perhaps ought to seek out a tight-fitting adapter - one which definitely needs an extractor tool. The reason I say this is because:

1. You're dedicating a camera to M42-only use.

2. You have the lenses you've described.

I'll explain:

The Penatx adapter is designed to be a loose fit in the camera, until the lens is fully screwed in, when it "pinches" the camera's mounting flange between the adapter and the lens rear. If there is any protruberance on the lens base which "mates" with the surface of the adapter, but doesn't extend to the camera mount, this won't be possible.

I don't own the Meyer-badged lenses, but I have a couple of Pentacons, and these (I believe) are just re-badged Meyer lenses. Both of these have a small lip at the base of the lens, just outside the M42 screw. The result is that, when used with my Pentax adapter, they're always a loose fit on the camera. I had to fabricate a shim of just the right dimensions to overcome this problem; so it's not the end of the world, but it is a nuisance.

As I say, in your circumstances, I'd be very tempted to go for a cheap adapter which needs an extractor tool...