Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A box of free M42 lenses...

Well, a friend just gave me the following:

Praktica LB (big, primitive boxy thing with uncoupled meter)
Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan 50/2.8
Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestegon 29/2.8
Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestor 135/2.8 (this is a BEAUTIFUL preset lens with 15-blade [!] stepless aperture... The bokeh is said to be pretty amazing.)
Chinon 500/8 mirror lens (T2 mount with M42 adapter)
Sigma 70-210/4.5

Needless to say, this is pretty awesome. I was thinking of using my old K100D Super as an M42-only body from now on, so with that, my question is:

I know the genuine Mount Adapter K is supposedly superior to all the other adapters, but considering ease of removal is not an issue because the adapter is going to be in pretty permanently, has anyone used one of the infinity-focusing but cheaper eBay adapters with success?

04-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Well, if you dedicate a body to M42 lenses, then your problems are solved since all you need to do is screw the lenses on and off the body whilst leaving the adapter in the camera at all times.

So the short answer is yes!

Nice inheritance btw.
04-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
So the short answer is yes!
So essentially, the only real beef people have with the off-brand chinese adapters is that they require a tool to remove?
04-04-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
So essentially, the only real beef people have with the off-brand chinese adapters is that they require a tool to remove?
Correct!

04-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ask glee, he damaged a mount on a lens with a Bower (if I'm not mistaken) one. And he had to use a Dremel to cut it off. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/135940-...42-lenses.html

Not worth the risk in my opinion; you just got some nice stuff for free; just invest the money if you only need one.
04-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Ask glee, he damaged a mount on a lens with a Bower (if I'm not mistaken) one. And he had to use a Dremel to cut it off. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/135940-...42-lenses.html

Not worth the risk in my opinion; you just got some nice stuff for free; just invest the money if you only need one.
I think this is clearly an out of context experience.

First off... the lens would not thread well into the adapter.
Secondly... how often does this happen?

I don't think this is a good illustration to use with such types of adapters at all. especially since so many people have used such types of adapters(myself included) without as much as a hitch. And more importantly, where cross threading can occur regardless of the adapter "even" with the original M42 mounts.

So as far as I can see, putting an original adapter on a dedicated M42 body would be a waist of money.
04-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The main beef people have with adapters other than the genuine Pentax adapters is that they don't allow you to use infinity focus.

Make sure that any adapter you buy doesn't have a flange. If it does, you won't be able to focus at infinity.

P.S.: Just noticed that you used the term "infinity-focussing". So you are aware of the issue, sorry.
04-04-2011, 04:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think this is clearly an out of context experience.

First off... the lens would not thread well into the adapter.
Secondly... how often does this happen?

I don't think this is a good illustration to use with such types of adapters at all. especially since so many people have used such types of adapters(myself included) without as much as a hitch. And more importantly, where cross threading can occur regardless of the adapter "even" with the original M42 mounts.

So as far as I can see, putting an original adapter on a dedicated M42 body would be a waist of money.
I would agree the issue is out of context to some extent, but also illustrates a few do's and don'ts

Most important, what ever adaptor you get, INSPECT IT.
- even my origonal pentax M42 adaptor had a loose screw holding the locking spring in place. Tighten loose screws and also consider putting a little thread locker only on that screw to ensure it can't fall into your camera.
- check that the screw is not too long, as was the case in glee, if it is file it down.
- i found on my bower adaptor a small bit of swarth (metal chips) attached to the screw hole, that would have come off when attaching a lens, potentialy dropping into the camera, I removed this before use.
- note also, some adaptors had a screw to perminantly lock them to the lens, look out for this also.

Next, do a few dry runs.
- Insert and remove the adaptor by hand into the body (without lens) to make sure you can remove it easily
- same with the lens onto the adaptor.
if it takes any force, look at why,

The last thing you do, once you are happy that you can put it on and off the lens, and that you can remove the adaptor from the camera is to put it all together.

As for the bower adaptor, it has one specific use, which may be of interest. It has a lip to engage the aperture pin for Auto lenses that lack the auto manual switch, avoiding the need to modify the lens.

it just takes a little common sense to avoid problems. But if you are unsure the best bet is the origonal adaptor.

04-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As for the bower adaptor, it has one specific use, which may be of interest. It has a lip to engage the aperture pin for Auto lenses that lack the auto manual switch, avoiding the need to modify the lens.
This is interesting as three out of five of the above are auto lenses without an A/M switch. Thanks!

EDIT: I just bought a cheapo Hong Kong thing, that focuses to infinity and removes with a dedicated tool, for $7.30 with free shipping. We'll see what happens. Thanks to all for the advice!

Last edited by Erik; 04-04-2011 at 06:09 AM.
04-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

This is interesting as three out of five of the above are auto lenses without an A/M switch. Thanks!
Glad I could help.

I bought mine just for that reason. Not so much that I have one, (which I did modify) but that if I happened across one or two and did not have the necessary tools to modify them but wanted to shoot.,

the real point is, and this really applies to anything you plan to mount on your camera, inspect it closely first. A little time in advance can save a ton of greif later
04-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
About the auto lenses -- is it correct that all I need to do is find a way to push in the aperture control pin permanently? How will the lens function after that? Like a preset M42 lens?
04-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

About the auto lenses -- is it correct that all I need to do is find a way to push in the aperture control pin permanently? How will the lens function after that? Like a preset M42 lens?
Yes and yes. The ways to handle the auto-only aperture pin include:

* Glue it down. But this cuts resale value, if any, For the Domiplan, that doesn't matter.
* Use a needle to shove the pin aside inside the lens base. This is still a value-cutter.
* You *might* be able to jam the pin down by wedging something small in beside it.
* Slight surgery. Remove lens base (if possible), remove and save pine. This is reversible.
* Ignore it. Only shoot wide open. Go for that soft dreamy look. Right.
* Sell it. Enough great cheap M42 glass with M/A switches or presets exist already.

I've read of an expensive M42-PK adapter with an interior flange that depresses the pin. Haven't seen one though.

Oh yeah: Nice haul! Shoot and enjoy!
04-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes and yes. The ways to handle the auto-only aperture pin include:

* Glue it down. But this cuts resale value, if any, For the Domiplan, that doesn't matter.
* Use a needle to shove the pin aside inside the lens base. This is still a value-cutter.
* You *might* be able to jam the pin down by wedging something small in beside it.
* Slight surgery. Remove lens base (if possible), remove and save pine. This is reversible.
* Ignore it. Only shoot wide open. Go for that soft dreamy look. Right.
* Sell it. Enough great cheap M42 glass with M/A switches or presets exist already.

I've read of an expensive M42-PK adapter with an interior flange that depresses the pin. Haven't seen one though.

Oh yeah: Nice haul! Shoot and enjoy!
the bower adaptor available at B&H does the job for $15. Be careful though to inspect it before use, there is a report of the screw holding the spring clip to the adaptor being so long it jams the threads of a lens and can make it hard to get off.
04-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I just remove the locking mechanism. I prefer it to the genuine one. The only caveat, which is rather annoying, is that my cheapo ones mount lenses upside down..

Last edited by Eruditass; 04-05-2011 at 10:17 AM.
04-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

M42 lenses on Pentax K

I have both the genuine Pentax adaptor, and a few of these from SRB Griturn, and I can't tell the difference - other than the engraving. ( I'm and engineer who was at one time a quality control manager for a precision engineering company )

SRB are good to deal with as well, and I have no connection to them other than using a few of their products with no issues at all.