Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
It may also be a hidden fact that Pentax is contemplating a FF camera in the not too distant future, and they want to have this base of FF lenses on which to build a system.

Rob
You don't even know how much I wish you were right on this one!

04-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lens development has to take marketing factors into consideration. Pentax must feel that they are deriving too much profit from the FA Limiteds to warrant replacing them. Now if they could produce truly modern lenses of comparable or superior quality, then they might be able to sell them to many of the current owners of the FAs--the sort of people who absolutely have to have the best. But you may be right that they would have to replace, not supplement, some of the current Limited lineup. It may also be a hidden fact that Pentax is contemplating a FF camera in the not too distant future, and they want to have this base of FF lenses on which to build a system.

Rob
My thought is that the three FA LTD lenses are taking up production space that could be turned over to something more useful in the present, such as some longer primes (something in the 135 range, or something longer than 300mm for example), and at some point, Pentax may pull the plug on them to free up production.
It depends on if Pentax needs to free up some production value, and if the things are selling in sufficient numbers to be worth making them.
I think Hoya is a bit more cutthroat in this regard, and won't keep something that has turned into dead weight in the catalog just because it's nice.
04-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I can certainly see Pentax re-issuing the FA Limiteds with SDM motors, but there is probably little else that could be done to improve them.

Rob
Somebody pleeeaase comfort me and tell me this will never happen.
04-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Somebody pleeeaase comfort me and tell me this will never happen.
I don't think it will.

Feel better now?

04-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm hedging my bets, all my good lenses are still FF with the exception of the 16-50.
04-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
but there is probably little else that could be done to improve them.

Rob
Easy, just slap on a coating "optismised for digital" and that would please certain members on this board
04-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Easy, just slap on a coating "optismised for digital" and that would please certain members on this board
It's the rear element that is optimized for digital, too.
04-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes I know.

04-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Not to say that it's useless on digital! You just need to be a little more careful with flare.

Anyways interesting observations Wheatfield. I'd love to see some samples!

I have not warmed up to the 77 all that much, but I'm still intrigued by the 43. No funds for it these days but that may change...
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I don't think it will.

Feel better now?
Coming from you, axl, yes I do feel a bit better, thanks.
04-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

It may also be a hidden fact that Pentax is contemplating a FF camera in the not too distant future, and they want to have this base of FF lenses on which to build a system.

Rob
despite the many corporate statements on no FF, i'm pretty sure due to the way the market has moved in the last few years they are holding these to hedge there bets. notice how some of the newer lenses are DFA so FF compatible (ie DFA100 DFA50), I think the idea that they could be replaced by reworked SDM versions holds some water though. At that time they could also get the D coating upgrade and True WR designation. Likely this would only happen along with a FF launch so i imagine we have a good couple years yet

Congrats on the purchase Wheat, the only AF lenses on my wish list right now are the 31/43/77 and i'll likely start with the 43
04-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A few people on PDML that seem to be in the know are of the opinion that if Pentax doesn't release a 135 format camera within the next couple of years, they may as well pack up shop, since the other manufacturers are all making 135 cameras.
However, the other guys aren't making a 645 camera, so I'm not so sure if we'll ever see a full frame from Pentax.
I know in the film era their philosophy was 135 was for amateurs and if you want a pro camera then buy either a 645 or 6x7
04-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep that was the way they looked at it in my memory (i sold them for a while in the 90's) the lx and mz-s were the odd men out in their assortments. And with the cost of the sensor dropping over time on the 645 allowing for an entry and upper model medium format i can see this being the approach again. and it will work but keep them a niche manufacturer. not always a bad thing