Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Dratted LBA

So I noticed today that Adorama's price on the 43/1.9 seemed fairly reasonable. This is a lens that I had no use for on 35mm, and which I have been able to ignore successfully since I transitioned to digital by getting a 40mm LTD, the focal length of which I quite like, but I don't really like the lens all that much.

But then, a post I made a short while back, calling the 31,43 and 77 mm lenses dinosaurs from a former age, and predicting that they would probably be discontinued soon got me thinking.
I hate it when I think. It almost always costs me money.

Anyway, I await it's arrival.

04-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats!

I've got the 40mm and, especially considering your view of the 70mm vs 77mm, am interested in your thoughts on how it and the 43mm compare.
04-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So I noticed today that Adorama's price on the 43/1.9 seemed fairly reasonable... <trimmed justification>

Anyway, I await it's arrival.
Good job.

I've tried the 77 on digital, and it seemed like a PF'ing dino to me, but the 43 has been golden on APS-C for me. No regrets at all (except for waiting so many years to get one!).
04-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Good job.

I've tried the 77 on digital, and it seemed like a PF'ing dino to me, but the 43 has been golden on APS-C for me. No regrets at all (except for waiting so many years to get one!).
I think with the 77 that one needs to be a bit careful about where one points it. It seems to have some problems with very high contrast transitions. It has never really given me any problems that way, bit I suspect this has a much to do with what I photograph as anything else.
That and I rarely use it.....
One of the things I often wished for when shooting 35mm film was a lens in the 65 or so mm range.
On the 6x7 I had the 135mm, which would give a similar angle of view, and on 4x5 I had the 210mm, which would also be similar, albeit a bit longer.
These were my most used lenses on those two formats, so I guess it's only fitting that I have a good lens to mach that angle of view on digital as well.
It will also be nice to have all the Limited Lenses.

04-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got a 43/1.9 Limited last week. Already, I consider it one of the best lenses that I have ever owned, and that includes Zeiss Contax G masterpieces. The way that it renders is so beautiful that it will never be a dinosaur. Clear your mind of all negative thoughts, and enjoy.

Rob
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It will also be nice to have all the Limited Lenses.
Truly the worst of all possible outcomes.

Enjoy your new lens, Wheatfield. I'd be curious to know your thoughts on it once you get some time to play with it, as it's one I've been considering for a while.
04-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Forum Member

Congrats! I have the 31ltd and that has a lot of CA/purple fringing too, so sounds the same as the 77. Guess its because the FA ltds were intended for film and aren't optimised for digital, they're excellent lenses nonetheless

04-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vincechu Quote
Congrats! I have the 31ltd and that has a lot of CA/purple fringing too, so sounds the same as the 77. Guess its because the FA ltds were intended for film and aren't optimised for digital, they're excellent lenses nonetheless
So far, I have not detected any such aberrations from my 43 Limited, even in images with very high contrast edges. In any case, CA and PF are relatively simple to fix in PP, so I don't think that they should be of much concern to anyone.

I have been doing some more testing of my lens this afternoon, and I am starting to think that it is possibly the sharpest that I have ever used, and that includes some really superb glass. The clarity is just amazing. I also own the 31 and 77 Limiteds, but the 43 Limited may be the best of the bunch. I bought it mainly for portraiture, but I can see that I am going to be using it for much more than that.

Edit: Got an image with a faint streak of purple fringing. Zapped it in Capture One. All gone now.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-06-2011 at 06:26 PM.
04-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yay 43! My favorite lens, over the 31, 35 macro and F 50/1.4. Just a little better even than my second favorite... the DA 40. So it goes. Enjoy!
04-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, it's been shipped, and I should have it on Thursday or possibly Friday. And next week it's supposed to be warming up a bit, so there is hope for a photo expedition soon.
04-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats on the purchase! I made a similar decision, selling my DA40 and FA50/1.7 in favour of the FA43...Since it's arrived, I haven't looked back once. Though the DA40's peak sharpness is already pretty amazing, I have to say...though it's not miles ahead...well, put it this way. On my K-x's 12 megapixels, the DA40 doesn't leave much room for improvement in sharpness...but the FA43 fills up that room completely. And I haven't even begun to talk about the rendering...It's amazing. The DA40 was a lens that got the job done, but I never really got into it. Nor did I get into the FA50 due to the awkward (to me) APS-C length, so I guess the FA43 is the first normal prime to really sit well with me...

Hope it sits well with you too! Looking to see some shots once it gets there
04-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

congrats Wheatfield!
Since you are doing a lot of portraits, I believe you'll learn to love this lens.

my experience is very similar. I had DA40 and liked the FOV but 43 just has so much more character IMO, although it sometimes produces tad busy OOF.

on a side note, I do kind of agree with your statement on the "dinosaurs". They are perfect lenses but if company of size of Pentax wants to move forward with their lens line up they will have to discontinue the FA ltds pretty soon IMO, unless they are not planning FF body (which I don't think will happen...)
04-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
congrats Wheatfield!
Since you are doing a lot of portraits, I believe you'll learn to love this lens.

my experience is very similar. I had DA40 and liked the FOV but 43 just has so much more character IMO, although it sometimes produces tad busy OOF.

on a side note, I do kind of agree with your statement on the "dinosaurs". They are perfect lenses but if company of size of Pentax wants to move forward with their lens line up they will have to discontinue the FA ltds pretty soon IMO, unless they are not planning FF body (which I don't think will happen...)
In addition to being amongst the best lenses from any manufacturer, the FA Limiteds have a certain cachet, even snob appeal, so they continue to attract a certain group of buyers. Why should Pentax discontinue a line of profitable niche products? All of the R&D has been done, the fabrication is established, and people are still willing to pay good money for them. Moreover, in many people's minds, the FA Limiteds compare favorably to the more modern DA Limiteds. Newer is not necessarily better. Finally, even though they are FF, they are remarkably small, especially in comparison to FF lenses from other makers, so they do not seem overly large on Pentax's APS-C cameras. I can certainly see Pentax re-issuing the FA Limiteds with SDM motors, but there is probably little else that could be done to improve them.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-05-2011 at 02:25 PM.
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
In addition to being amongst the best lenses from any manufacturer, the FA Limiteds have a certain cachet, even snob appeal, so they continue to appeal to a certain group of buyers. Why should Pentax discontinue a line of profitable niche products? All of the R&D has been done, the fabrication is established, and people are still willing to pay good money for them. Moreover, in many people's minds, the FA Limiteds compare favorably to the more modern DA Limiteds. Newer is not necessarily better. Finally, even though they are FF, they are remarkably small, especially in comparison to FF lenses from other makers, so they do not seem overly large on Pentax's APS-C cameras. I can certainly see Pentax re-issuing the FA Limiteds with SDM motors, but there is probably little else that could be done to improve them.

Rob

As much as I agree with what you say, the only reason why we don't have DA*28/2 or 30/1.4 or something similar is existence of FA31. The only reason why FA35 was discontinued and new DA35 AL is 2.4 and not f2 is 31ltd. It would be too close to comfort.... Why DA70 is 2.4?...... I think you can see where I'm coming from. I agree on the fact that they are great lenses and that there are people willing to pay the premium price for them but these three lenses restrict the development of current line up more than anything else, be it from price point, or focal lengths and f stops point....
Pentax doesn't have base big enough to offer 2 top end lenses in the same segment, so we can be waiting for new normal fast for quite some time with 31ltd sticking around... and frankly, sticking to APSC sensor, Pentax needs fast lenses to make up for the loss of DOF due to smaller sensors.... New DA ltds are just not fast enough to cut it IMO, and DA* are not made for "whatever reason"...
If they keep the FA ltds, they should put out some small FF body too, to match them....
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
As much as I agree with what you say, the only reason why we don't have DA*28/2 or 30/1.4 or something similar is existence of FA31. The only reason why FA35 was discontinued and new DA35 AL is 2.4 and not f2 is 31ltd. It would be too close to comfort.... Why DA70 is 2.4?...... I think you can see where I'm coming from. I agree on the fact that they are great lenses and that there are people willing to pay the premium price for them but these three lenses restrict the development of current line up more than anything else, be it from price point, or focal lengths and f stops point....
Pentax doesn't have base big enough to offer 2 top end lenses in the same segment, so we can be waiting for new normal fast for quite some time with 31ltd sticking around... and frankly, sticking to APSC sensor, Pentax needs fast lenses to make up for the loss of DOF due to smaller sensors.... New DA ltds are just not fast enough to cut it IMO, and DA* are not made for "whatever reason"...
If they keep the FA ltds, they should put out some small FF body too, to match them....
Lens development has to take marketing factors into consideration. Pentax must feel that they are deriving too much profit from the FA Limiteds to warrant replacing them. Now if they could produce truly modern lenses of comparable or superior quality, then they might be able to sell them to many of the current owners of the FAs--the sort of people who absolutely have to have the best. But you may be right that they would have to replace, not supplement, some of the current Limited lineup. It may also be a hidden fact that Pentax is contemplating a FF camera in the not too distant future, and they want to have this base of FF lenses on which to build a system.

Rob