Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #31

Original Poster
Got the 31mm and 43mm today!

Quick ones with the 31mm outside my place

This thing sure is a piece of work! I couldn't believe the colors - no photoshop needed! and the bokeh... woahhh
Thank you for the recommendation!!

I'm having a hard time imagining the different functions of the 31mm and the 43mm though. How do you guys use the 30smm focal lengths compared to the 40smm?

04-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #32

These forums are really making it harder for me to resist adding a thousand dollar lens onto my expense sheet.
04-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ardentartichoke Quote
2. I'm disappointed in K7's performance at high ISO/nighttime. Is that something the FAs will significantly help improve? Or should I keep my eye on a K5 until its price goes down? I'm quite happy with the K7 and am eager to work with it a bit more, so my immediately solution is not to switch but to look for remedies.
The FA's are plenty fast, f1.8 will allow faster shutter speeds at lower ISO's than normal kit lenses, at the cost of DoF being nice and narrow I try not to shoot anything over 1600 ISO with my FA 43ltd @ 1.9, or my 55mm SMC Tak f1.8... I just recover the shot in Adobe Camera RAW. As long as the shot isn't 100% black on the viewfinder, bringing up 4 EV steps and tweaking fill light and brightness etc can bring back almost any shot that looks dark.

Remember if your shooting in Manual mode to use your green button to get a decent light metered guess for your shutter speed for your current aperture and ISO settings. I've had the K-5 for over a month, and just recently got 2 older manual lenses and just found out what the green button can actually do! Guess I could have used to read the magic lantern book, or paid more attention when going through the K-5 manual.
04-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mknowles Quote
These forums are really making it harder for me to resist adding a thousand dollar lens onto my expense sheet.

Everyone should have at least ONE $1000 lens (or close to $1000).
I'm just glad I didn't buy my mint condition 43 Ltd new!

04-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Yes, if you can, buy these things used. If you don't get along with them, you can sell them for no loss!

As for the 43 vs. the 31... the 43 is all about sharpness. You can use that lens at really low f-stops to make a subject pop out of the frame because it is VERY sharp. Good for subject isolation.

The 31 is all about the bokeh.

Unfortunately the difference in FOV between them is not massive, but you can think of it as using the 43 for subjects, and the 31 for scenes, and you should have some luck.
04-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #36
Pentaxian

So I went through a love affair last night spending hours researching the FA Ltds.

Then I placed an order on the FA 31mm, 43mm, 77mm and 15mm (replace the 12-24mm since I'll only use it for vast landscapes like top of the mountain over Tibetan plateau etc.)… I should be a site supporter soon!

I'm well aware that I'm in LBA Rookie Phase #1, but I happen to have no obligations and some hard-earned money that can be seriously invested into a hobby/a business. So FA Ltds it is. I'm reluctant to get the Macro because I'll only use it for a small amount of merchandise. The handicrafts aren't insanely small, so the 77mm should do with the details (saw some detailed shots of apple earphones and even bug bellies - that's about right).
I don't have a concrete idea of how much difference there exists between the 31mm and the 43mm, so I'm ordering both to try them out. If I end up keeping only one, I'm sure I'll have no trouble selling the other. If I end up loving both… Well I'll just have to deal with that later… Can't do anything anymore, it's in the hands of Adorama..

I didn't know a thing about Pentax film cameras, but a simple Google Shopping search showed me that the old Pentax MEs are being sold for less than $100? I hope to just snatch one of those to pair up with the FA Ltds when I start to experiment with film, so that played into the decision of buying the FAs as well. Aside from that, the weight of these things are godsend, and I really need them to be fast because I'm notorious with handshake. I've also had a lot of trouble taking crisp photos at night-time with the K7 and the kit lens, so hopefully FAs will help me with that.

Thank you all very much for the input. I can't help but to feel a bit silly but I do think I've done the right thing (given available resources and the fact that I've no obligations). This is one of the few things that I've ever wanted to do really well.

Thanks Marc, that does teach me something I was confused about!

sterretje, I got the 16-50 thinking that I'd keep it (update of IQ from the kit lens) while still look for a telephoto prime. But no... the more I compare it with the FAs the more I start to dislike the size and the weight... It plus the K7 = size of my head.

Rob thanks for the input on film, I may agree with you in a few years, but right now I'm a headstrong rookie who's eager to try out new things! When I do get my hands on some rolls and a filmcam, I'll be sure to come back to the forum to ask you for advice!

EDIT: thanks eddie... my thoughts exactly
Oh, I think you would shocked by 31Ltd on film: I tried it on my friend's LX, it's kind of magick.
04-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Got the 31mm and 43mm today!

Quick ones with the 31mm outside my place

This thing sure is a piece of work! I couldn't believe the colors - no photoshop needed! and the bokeh... woahhh
Thank you for the recommendation!!

I'm having a hard time imagining the different functions of the 31mm and the 43mm though. How do you guys use the 30smm focal lengths compared to the 40smm?
IMO the 43 is quite pointless on APS-C. I uses it as a portrait lens, but it's way too sharp for this purpose. But it will shine as normal on at FF body: I tried it on 5d mkII and it looks like it performs in better in that role than 31Ltd on APS-C. At least I prefer 43 over 46.5
04-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Everyone should have at least ONE $1000 lens (or close to $1000).
I'm just glad I didn't buy my mint condition 43 Ltd new!
The 43 Limited is a relative bargain. I just purchased a new one from B&H for $570. After working with it for nearly a week, I have come to the conclusion that it may very well be the finest lens that I have ever owned, and that includes the other two FA Limiteds. If you guys really want to see how 3D these lenses can be, try using Capture One. It brings out subtle tonal and color transitions in a way that no other raw converter can do, in my experience, and I have tested more than a few.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-07-2011 at 03:01 PM.
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
IMO the 43 is quite pointless on APS-C. I uses it as a portrait lens, but it's way too sharp for this purpose. But it will shine as normal on at FF body: I tried it on 5d mkII and it looks like it performs in better in that role than 31Ltd on APS-C. At least I prefer 43 over 46.5
Not good for portraits?

Rob

FA 43/1.9 @ f1.9, K-7

Last edited by robgo2; 04-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.
04-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #40
Veteran Member

It's fine for portraits but you need to kinda get n people's faces and it can make their noses look large.

IMHO even 50 is cutting it close although it's a lot more usable for portraits. 55 is where it starts for me.

40/43 is good for half-body.
04-07-2011, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
It's fine for portraits but you need to kinda get n people's faces and it can make their noses look large.

IMHO even 50 is cutting it close although it's a lot more usable for portraits. 55 is where it starts for me.

40/43 is good for half-body.
Well, you can also stand back a bit and crop the image, which is what I did with the portrait that I posted above. I have gotten some outstanding portraits with even shorter lenses, such as the 31 Limited. I'm sure that we have all seen wonderful people pictures taken with true wide angle lenses. One just has to learn how to get the best results from any given focal length.

Rob
04-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yes cropping takes you far (thank god for digital).

I've taken reasonable portraits with my DA 15... but massive cropping was required.
04-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Not good for portraits?

Rob

FA 43/1.9 @ f1.9, K-7
Really good, robgo, especially for a crop.
04-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2. So I'm looking for a prime that will reside on my K7 most of the time for street and portraits

First a hearty welcome to a newer member.

At 60, the weight of those bigger lenses is a drag for me also, so though I wrestled between the DAL 35 and the Da 40 ltd, I bought the 40. Weight was not the deciding factor as they are very close.

It may be a little to up close and personal for general street shots. It depends on the FOV you prefer. For my all purposes, I think I made the right choice though I may add a 21 ltd at a much later date.

IMO, It does a good job up close also. I have pushed it to a couple of limits and plan to hit a few more. See my user name in the single in April photo storage category to see those. The bud shot was a crop but pretty close to the near focus limit.

EDIT: And don't blame the lens for for my less than great skill. This lens is making me look better.