Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I am not able to try them out here before buying, its a case of making my mind up, taking a plunge and placing an order and getting it delivered.
At this stage I'm leaning towards the 15mm ltd.

04-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #17

Both are very good. I had the 12-24 and sold it. The 15 is staying. I hope Pentax releases the WR 12-36 'cause I will buy one.

Can you handle both B4 you buy? That would be best.
04-05-2011, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentAdam Quote
I am not able to try them out here before buying, its a case of making my mind up, taking a plunge and placing an order and getting it delivered.
At this stage I'm leaning towards the 15mm ltd.
Can't try before you buy...no problem. Just go by your requirements.
If you need very small for easy pocket portability its the 15mm.
If you need wider or longer than 15mm, its the 12-24mm.
If you have no specific requirements, either one will work just as well.
Thats as straightforward as it gets.
04-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #19
Mr_Canuck

I've tended to prefer prime wide lenses to zooms. I find it's way easier to visualize with a fixed focal length, so you get to know it's characteristics. In my experience, it makes for better shooting. Between the 14 and 15, it's about the size I think vs a little wider/brighter spec.

04-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm inclined to think that the 12-24 is the bestter lens for the money if you can handle the bulk... because as soon as you buy two primes to cover the range, it's more expensive.

I like the 15 because of the size, but I do crop a lot of photos quite a bit for better composition. Maybe personal preference, but I find I take better photos with a tighter composition.

The 15 has a bit of a *fun factor* associated with it though, that makes it hard to let go of.
04-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Untitled by ducVduc

04-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The thing with the 12-24... THAT HOOD.

04-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #23
Forum Member

I'm having the same problem right now. I have a KX and a DA 40mm f2.8 but I mainly shoot small indoor punk shows where the only place to get good shots is by the side of the stage. The DA 40's perspective isn't suited for this, and so I need a good wide angle lens to complement it. It needs to be fast for low light coupled with fast movement, so I've been looking at the sigma 20mm f1.8, the da 14 and da 15. Can you still use the on camera flash with the 14's large size? The da 15 seems like the perfect fit for me but it isn't as fast and would require bumping up the iso to noisy levels or using the flash which I don't really like. I need to decide soon because my sister's wedding is coming up soon and while she has a photographer I would like to snap photos and make a little album for her. A wide angle lens good in low light would again be useful for that purpose. Any help would be appreciated.
04-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Twich,
The size comparison you have posted is pure gold!!! Thank you!!!
04-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spicy cho Quote
I'm having the same problem right now. I have a KX and a DA 40mm f2.8 but I mainly shoot small indoor punk shows where the only place to get good shots is by the side of the stage. The DA 40's perspective isn't suited for this, and so I need a good wide angle lens to complement it. It needs to be fast for low light coupled with fast movement, so I've been looking at the sigma 20mm f1.8, the da 14 and da 15. Can you still use the on camera flash with the 14's large size? The da 15 seems like the perfect fit for me but it isn't as fast and would require bumping up the iso to noisy levels or using the flash which I don't really like. I need to decide soon because my sister's wedding is coming up soon and while she has a photographer I would like to snap photos and make a little album for her. A wide angle lens good in low light would again be useful for that purpose. Any help would be appreciated.
15mm is very wide for people shots, you can end up distorting their features quite a bit. I think the DA21 f3.2 might be more suitable perhaps.

Using the pop up flash is going to negate the IQ advantges of a prime though. I'd rather have a kit lens and an external flash used to bounce off walls, than have to use a DA21 with a pop up flash.
04-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentAdam Quote
Twich,
The size comparison you have posted is pure gold!!! Thank you!!!
No problems Good luck with your deciding.
04-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
15mm is very wide for people shots, you can end up distorting their features quite a bit. I think the DA21 f3.2 might be more suitable perhaps.

Using the pop up flash is going to negate the IQ advantges of a prime though. I'd rather have a kit lens and an external flash used to bounce off walls, than have to use a DA21 with a pop up flash.
Well I was really looking for 2.8 aperture or larger, but 3.2 isn't far from that and I've read it's quite sharp wide open. I use a KX so I don't think using a high ISO and cleaning up the image in post will be a problem. It will also go nicely with my only other lens besides the kit, a DA 40. Thanks for the warning about distortion, I hadn't really thought of that. I think I'll take your advice but if anyone else wants to weigh in I'd be more than happy to listen.
04-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Well I was really looking for 2.8 aperture or larger, but 3.2 isn't far from that and I've read it's quite sharp wide open. I use a KX so I don't think using a high ISO and cleaning up the image in post will be a problem. It will also go nicely with my only other lens besides the kit, a DA 40. Thanks for the warning about distortion, I hadn't really thought of that. I think I'll take your advice but if anyone else wants to weigh in I'd be more than happy to listen.
No Flash on camera with the da 14 due to vignetting, but i still use it sometimes

and it works pretty well at shows

04-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #29
Forum Member

Really nice shots there eddie. I'd like the 14 but the size is really turning me off since I plan to just shoulder my little kx/da 40 combo and keep the 21 on hand for when I'm up close and personal, and sometimes I'd like the flash despite negating the benefits of having a prime to get some good shots of stagedives and the like. Now I'm not 100% sure that 21mm is wide enough. I'll browse some photos and decide.
04-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Really nice shots there eddie. I'd like the 14 but the size is really turning me off since I plan to just shoulder my little kx/da 40 combo and keep the 21 on hand for when I'm up close and personal, and sometimes I'd like the flash despite negating the benefits of having a prime to get some good shots of stagedives and the like. Now I'm not 100% sure that 21mm is wide enough. I'll browse some photos and decide.
Typically now at shows i shoot with either my MF primes (ie fast 50 or 100 2.8) or use a24-70 2.8 sigma (which is a monster) the 50 for low light the 24-70 for ease of shooting. for a lot of clubs 2.8 just wasn't fast enough on the K10, even on the K7 it's a push sometimes. the 14 is really useful at close quarters, some shows i've had it right in the performers face because i was being pushed up onto the stage by the crowd. it's big, but i don't think the 15 f4.0 is fast enough the 21 at 3.2 will even be short on light. (oh for a k5 where this is less of an issue). build wise the 14 is durable it's seen some pretty crazy environments and survived quite well (good thing my cameras are wr sometimes)