Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
So, the foil is for CIF, not if you want to just use it for manual focusing in M or A modes....do I have that correct?

Thanks
No. I meant that a conductive base is required for CIF. Perhaps you can find other ways to get correct exposure for non-conductive base lenses. I haven't found anything easier.

08-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard something about using a green button when in M mode to set the shutter speed. I heard nothing about using foil in that case. So, I was under the impression that you can meter in M mode after setting the aperture using the magical green button and no foil.....i guess once my K20D arrives I'll get a shot at trying it out and hopefully it will start to make more sense (after I get fully confused).
08-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Here is the sticky dealing with using older lenses with Pentax DSLRs.

In short, you may use the M mode and the green button (assuming it is configured correctly) to set the shutter speed. This takes one extra step but is the most consistent. You can also use Av mode and depending on the lens and camera combination it may work correctly or it may be off by as much as 2 stops. If I am going to use Av mode I take a few test shots, adjust the exposure compensation dial to suit and then don't worry about it. Unfortunately the effect is not consistent across apertures so if you are changing the aperture dramatically you may still find it somewhat inaccurate. Again, depending on lens and camera. It is reported by some that they get more consistent readings in Av mode by using foil to short the contacts. I tried this and found no significant difference on my lenses and camera. YMMV.

The foil is required if you want to use catch in focus. It is needed to tell the camera that there is a lens attached. Note it does not have to be foil, only a conductive base. Many lenses already have this, you need to foil the ones that are painted black.
08-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
foil the ones that are painted black
...and not even all of those. My Jupiter-9 85/2 has conductive paint...go figure. Strangely enough, this causes a problem in that sometimes the lens is detected as having "A" contacts. Not good, since the data is never correct.

Steve

08-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Thanks guys. This was helpful for getting a basic understanding of using a manual lens, or at least a starting point for M42s. My K20D should be arriving today, so I'll have a chance to test this out. At this point I only have M42 lenses to use on the Pentax. I got the camera because M42s don't work well with my Nikon, and my infinity adapter doesn't seem to allow infinity focus!

Now, I need to start learning about all these different types of Pentax lenses and lenses that one can use on their Pentax DSLR. It seems daunting!

Steve