Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 2
SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5

Hello everyone. I was looking at the lens database on the forum and have a question that some of the "Old Hands" may be able to answer for me. The first review of the above referenced lens says to be sure and not confuse this lens with the "M" version, see the following comment.

QuoteQuote:
When speed is not a factor, this is a "go to lens"! Very sharp from f5.6 to f11. Its performance surpasses most highly fancied lenses.
Not to be confused with the 35mm f3.5 "M" (which is a decent lens).
Unfortunately, these lenses are not too common but are worthwhile seeking out.
I looked at the database of M series lenses and did not find a 35mm f/3.5 lens. Can anyone tell me what lens the reviewer was making reference to and how one would be able to distinguish it from the highly rated K mount lens reviewed in the database? I would like to look for the highly rated lens in local pawn shops, yard sales, etc. and would like to know what distinguishes it from the other, good but apparently not as good, "M" version. Thanks for any help.

04-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Forum Member
kardinal's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Athens, GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 68
It's referring to the K series: SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5 Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

I just picked a damaged one up on ebay, and it still works great. It is an absurdly sharp lens.
04-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,285
QuoteOriginally posted by GaJoe Quote
I looked at the database of M series lenses and did not find a 35mm f/3.5 lens. Can anyone tell me what lens the reviewer was making reference to and how one would be able to distinguish it from the highly rated K mount lens reviewed in the database? I would like to look for the highly rated lens in local pawn shops, yard sales, etc. and would like to know what distinguishes it from the other, good but apparently not as good, "M" version. Thanks for any help.
The reviewer was most likely referring to the M35/2.8. As you point out, there is no M35/3.5. M series lenses are clearly marked SMC Pentax-M. K series lenses are marked SMC Pentax with no other identifier. I have a S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5 and I think it is a very underrated lens. The K gets a lot more love.
04-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oxford
Posts: 52
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The reviewer was most likely referring to the M35/2.8. As you point out, there is not M35/3.5. I have a S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5 and I think it is a very underrated lens. The K gets a lot more love.
Agreed, I reckon the reference was to the M35/2.8 (friend has one) and it looks (externally) very similar to the 35/3.5

From Bojidar's K-mount database:

35 3.5


M35 2.8


04-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by GaJoe Quote
Hello everyone. I was looking at the lens database on the forum and have a question that some of the "Old Hands" may be able to answer for me. The first review of the above referenced lens says to be sure and not confuse this lens with the "M" version, see the following comment.



I looked at the database of M series lenses and did not find a 35mm f/3.5 lens. Can anyone tell me what lens the reviewer was making reference to and how one would be able to distinguish it from the highly rated K mount lens reviewed in the database? I would like to look for the highly rated lens in local pawn shops, yard sales, etc. and would like to know what distinguishes it from the other, good but apparently not as good, "M" version. Thanks for any help.
I believe I have an SMC-M 35mm f/3.5
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
database, f3.5, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens, smc pentax 35mm, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC FA 20-35mm f4 AL, SMC FA 24-90mm 3.5-4.5 IF/AL Clarky Sold Items 8 06-08-2010 07:50 AM
Wanted - Acquired: Pentax SMC 35mm/2, 35mm/3.5 andersju Sold Items 4 05-16-2010 06:23 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC K 35mm/2 35mm F2 Rare Collector's Item, w/ Metal Hood (Worldwide) frank Sold Items 16 04-07-2010 05:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top