Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Leica lens focussing issues

I recently obtained a couple of manual Leica R lenses in k mount which I am very happy with except for one issue:
it seems impossible to accurately focus them at apertures of f8 or smaller as the viewfinder gets increasingly darker as you close the diaphragm. I have to focus at a wider aperture and then readjust the aperture ring before taking the shot which is a real bugger when using the camera without a tripod. I have used other manual lenses without this happening, is this normal with Leica lenses? I am using them with a K-7.

04-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Forum Member

What other manual lenses? The only lenses this won't be a problem on are auto aperture lenses like the pentax a series or "preset" lenses like the Jupiter 9 (which have one aperture ring to set the aperture and a second to quickly switch between wide open and the aperture "preset" with the other).
04-06-2011, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #3

This is the normal behaviour for adapted lenses, including the Leica R's. It is stop-down metering only in this case since the aperture lever in the R mount lens is not controlled in Pentax cameras. The only cameras that accept R-mount lenses without having to perform stop-down metering are ... the Leica R series cameras.

If you're talking about manual lenses in general, Pentax M and K mount lenses do not require stop-down metering because the green button does that for you.

If possible, focus first, stop down to meter and then shoot. It is a part of the workflow when one uses adapted lenses, but I guess one plus is permanent depth of field preview...
04-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by feilb Quote
What other manual lenses? The only lenses this won't be a problem on are auto aperture lenses like the pentax a series or "preset" lenses like the Jupiter 9 (which have one aperture ring to set the aperture and a second to quickly switch between wide open and the aperture "preset" with the other).
The problem does not happen with pentax K and M series manual lenses. I have used 28mm and 55mm K lenses and 50mm and 85mm M lenses with no issues.

QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
This is the normal behaviour for adapted lenses, including the Leica R's. It is stop-down metering only in this case since the aperture lever in the R mount lens is not controlled in Pentax cameras. The only cameras that accept R-mount lenses without having to perform stop-down metering are ... the Leica R series cameras.

If you're talking about manual lenses in general, Pentax M and K mount lenses do not require stop-down metering because the green button does that for you.

If possible, focus first, stop down to meter and then shoot. It is a part of the workflow when one uses adapted lenses, but I guess one plus is permanent depth of field preview...
Thanks taurus9, that clears it up. Reputation point added