Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dropped 15 mm limited

I dropped my 15 mm limited a while back. The hood was extended. Forturnately, the only damage that I can see is that the hood is bent. I have since straightened it out. It slides without significant resistance. The focus ring occasionally gets stiff if the hood is not pulled all the way out. Otherwise the AF and manual focus is perfect. Would you consider sending it in for a replacement hood? What do you think it would cost? The IQ is unchanged and there is no damage to the lens barrel or front element. The lens landed directly on the EXTENDED hood.

Thanks for any suggestions.

04-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The focus ring occasionally gets stiff if the hood is not pulled all the way out. Otherwise the AF and manual focus is perfect.
No reason to do any thing except pull out the hood as it was designed to be used.
04-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you won't be facing a problem unless you intend to sell it. Then it would be nice to know how much a repair would run to restore it to like-new.
04-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I probably will avoid costs of repair. It would be nice to know an estimate without having to ship it off. If it were 50-60 bucks, I would get it done. I suspect it will be a couple hundred though. I started thinking about it when a friend had his canon 28-135 usm motor replaced for ~150. This is an old lens out of warranty. I thought it was reasonable.

04-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Thanks for the replies. I probably will avoid costs of repair. It would be nice to know an estimate without having to ship it off. If it were 50-60 bucks, I would get it done. I suspect it will be a couple hundred though. I started thinking about it when a friend had his canon 28-135 usm motor replaced for ~150. This is an old lens out of warranty. I thought it was reasonable.
MSM, you could call CRIS for a ballpark quote at: (480) 940-1103.

I'd seriously doubt anything <100 bucks based on my last experience with them, but it could still be worth at least asking them. Technically they want you to send your stuff in, wait for them to give you a repair quote so you're already a captive audience and they have your gear hostage. For that reason they're unlikely to give you a terribly precise number over the phone and may even lowball you a bit, but it could still be informative.
04-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
they're unlikely to give you a terribly precise number over the phone and may even lowball you a bit, but it could still be informative.
How are they expected to give you an accurate estimate without seeing the extent of the damage?

"Hi, my car won't run right. How much to fix it?"
04-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
MSM, you could call CRIS for a ballpark quote at: (480) 940-1103.

I'd seriously doubt anything <100 bucks based on my last experience with them, but it could still be worth at least asking them. Technically they want you to send your stuff in, wait for them to give you a repair quote so you're already a captive audience and they have your gear hostage. For that reason they're unlikely to give you a terribly precise number over the phone and may even lowball you a bit, but it could still be informative.
Thanks for the info. I may just give them a call in the am.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
How are they expected to give you an accurate estimate without seeing the extent of the damage?

You may be right. Though, in my case, I just need a new hood. You would think they could say how much that would run. Though, I won't be surprised if they tell me I have to send it in.

Mark

04-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

Nah, the OP knows exactly what the problem is. The only variable is whether or not there are additional complications that are invisible to him which CRIS might find that will raise the price.

I seriously doubt though that they would give anyone an UPPER estimate before they were physically holding the product, as it would scare away potential customers who recognize something for merely being cosmetic damage. Hence I caution MSM to treat whatever they say as a lowball figure.
04-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's a proprietary part, which means you will never pay a fair amount for it. Pentax will charge you close to 50 just to look at the thing, change for a profit on the actual part (since it's not going to be mass produced, more expensive than you might estimate), then they will have to actually take the lens apart and install, which I'm gonna guess is going to be at least another 50 in labor...

My guess is, it's going to be well over 20% of the cost of the lens. Not worth it IMHO
04-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
It's a proprietary part, which means you will never pay a fair amount for it. Pentax will charge you close to 50 just to look at the thing, change for a profit on the actual part (since it's not going to be mass produced, more expensive than you might estimate), then they will have to actually take the lens apart and install, which I'm gonna guess is going to be at least another 50 in labor...

My guess is, it's going to be well over 20% of the cost of the lens. Not worth it IMHO
Ah, this is what I am talking about. If your last sentence is accurate, then I will just leave it as is. I mean the lens works great and my 'repair job' is not too bad.
04-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It might be... that's how most industries would treat it. I doubt pentax would be extra nice.