Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Please discontinue FA ltd so I can make some money
If they do that im sure used prices would increase alot.

04-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
$800AUD and its yours
At historical exchange rates, right?
04-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Current rate
04-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Nothing is forever, and eventually the FA Ltds will be discontinued, the question is when. The earthquake could be a trigger, but more likely I think the trigger will be Pentax needing the production capacity for new lenses, or falling demand. Given the spate of great Pentax bodies lately I think the former is more likely than the later.

Who knows when, but lets just say I'm doing a bit of risk management currently

04-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Nothing is forever, and eventually the FA Ltds will be discontinued, the question is when. The earthquake could be a trigger, but more likely I think the trigger will be Pentax needing the production capacity for new lenses, or falling demand. Given the spate of great Pentax bodies lately I think the former is more likely than the later.

Who knows when, but lets just say I'm doing a bit of risk management currently
True, "never" is a long time. But if all the R&D is done and the tooling for the manufacturing of the lenses is in place, only a lack of demand or the inability to make a profit on their sales would seem to be a good reason to stop production.
04-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #36
Veteran Member

In all reality "IMHO" the price of the FA Ltd's went beyond common sense long ago.

The average photog can't justify that sought of money when there are other lenses of almost equal quality out there on the shelves for half the price.
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
In all reality "IMHO" the price of the FA Ltd's went beyond common sense long ago.

The average photog can't justify that sought of money when there are other lenses of almost equal quality out there on the shelves for half the price.
The FA Limiteds are niche products, and one must presume that they sell well enough, or Pentax would stop producing them. The fact that they are relatively expensive is not a mark against them, but rather for them, as it makes each unit sold more profitable. The average photographer is not the target market, just as the average driver is not the target market for Mercedes automobiles.

Rob

04-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say that the FA limiteds will be discontinued if and when Pentax decides to make DA * primes in equivalent focal lengths. Of course, those primes would not be any cheaper than the FA limiteds.

What happens on the used market usually has a lot to do with what replaces discontinued lenses in the line up. I general, Pentax hasn't usually abandoned a focal length; however, a lens like the FA * 85 is quite pricey since Pentax doesn't offer a new equivalent lens to that.
04-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #39
Veteran Member

They wont do another fa*85 because that was replaced with the da*55 for the crop sensor. Unless they go FF which at this point a wouldnt hold my breathe.
04-08-2011, 03:49 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the price rise might also be the drop in value of the American dollar. these prices sound like the prices we see in Canada
Exchange rates are a factor. So are internet forums.