Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #91
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
And the flip side of not having to change lenses is that the full weight is on the camera all the time.
And the flip side of that is not having the extra weight in your bag This could go on forever!

Again, I'm not really advocating that one way is outright better than the other. As Ash pointed out above, there are times when the 28-75 makes sense (convenience/versatility) and there are times when the limiteds make more sense (speed/superior IQ).

I have the Tamron 28-75 and really like it, but I also have all 3 FA limited lenses as well as 3 DA limited lenses, so it's not as if I'm biased one way or another

04-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #92
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
And the flip side of that is not having the extra weight in your bag This could go on forever!
It is a matter of personal preference, but for me there is no comparison between weight around the neck and weight in a bag. I also don't like longer lenses scaring street subjects, but again it may not be a problem for you. This was a request for a lightweight Prime kit. We could go on for some time with zooms and will probably have many opportunities to do so on other threads.
04-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #93
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It is a matter of personal preference, but for me there is no comparison between weight around the neck and weight in a bag. I also don't like longer lenses scaring street subjects, but again it may not be a problem for you. This was a request for a lightweight Prime kit. We could go on for some time with zooms and will probably have many opportunities to do so on other threads.
I actually agree with you regarding the greater importance of the weight around your neck; I was just being a smart-ass earlier about the extra weight in the bag

I had the DA*50-135 out this afternoon and I can assure you that it was a lot less comfortable hanging from my neck that any of my (much) smaller limited primes
04-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #94
MSD
Senior Member
MSD's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 164
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I had the DA*50-135 out this afternoon and I can assure you that it was a lot less comfortable hanging from my neck that any of my (much) smaller limited primes
This is another advantage of the little primes- so much easier around the neck, IMO.

04-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #95
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
What's everyone's solution for carrying around a body and 1 pancake? I was thinking a small nylon bag or sock but a lowepro lens bag looked interesting too with better padding and a belt loop, albeit bigger:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/96715-k-x...small-bag.html

I wanted something that I would take literally everywhere.
04-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #96
nah
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Westminster, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 280
I just got a 35mm ltd and it's an awesome lens.

I love the fact that it's a macro lens and it's wide enough to shoot pretty much anything. It's also sharp!
04-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #97
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 73
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
What's everyone's solution for carrying around a body and 1 pancake? I was thinking a small nylon bag or sock but a lowepro lens bag looked interesting too with better padding and a belt loop, albeit bigger:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/96715-k-x...small-bag.html

I wanted something that I would take literally everywhere.
Yup, the 1W is a great case for that combo. I just have the shoulder strap hanging out out the closed bag and have it slung around my shoulder most of the time when I use that combo. Using the belt loop is a bit awkward.
04-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #98
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by spicy cho Quote
Yup, the 1W is a great case for that combo. I just have the shoulder strap hanging out out the closed bag and have it slung around my shoulder most of the time when I use that combo. Using the belt loop is a bit awkward.
How does it fare with the almost pancakes? the 15mm and 35mm limiteds or 70mm with a hood? Or a K-5/K-7 or even K10D/K20D?


Last edited by Eruditass; 04-28-2011 at 11:07 AM.
04-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #99
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 73
Don't think any of those would fit. I can maybe squeeze my kx with a DA 21 in if the hood isn't attached, if that gives you an idea. I can see when I get home.
04-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #100
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 73
You can definitely squeeze in a KX + DA 21 minus hood, it will be a little tight with a filter plus lens cap but I think it would fit. Anything longer is a no go for the 1W.

04-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #101
Senior Member
Frank B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 149
It's a little bigger, but for carrying around a K-7 with the DA15, DA21, DA40 and DA70, a Domke F-5XB works great. There is room for the DA35 Macro if I really want to push it, but usually I just carry 4. In a neutral canvas color (mine is sand) it doesn't look like a camera bag. I took off all the velcro too.
04-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #102
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 73
QuoteOriginally posted by Frank B Quote
It's a little bigger, but for carrying around a K-7 with the DA15, DA21, DA40 and DA70, a Domke F-5XB works great. There is room for the DA35 Macro if I really want to push it, but usually I just carry 4. In a neutral canvas color (mine is sand) it doesn't look like a camera bag. I took off all the velcro too.
Yup, that's my bag as well, in olive green. Fits all the stuff in my sig plus an extra set of eneloops sitting in the charger.
04-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #103
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by spicy cho Quote
You can definitely squeeze in a KX + DA 21 minus hood, it will be a little tight with a filter plus lens cap but I think it would fit. Anything longer is a no go for the 1W.
Cool, thanks for the pic. So it's pushing it with the hood depth wise, what about height and length?

Also how does it feel on the belt? or how else do you carry it? Does you find you take your camera more places with it?
04-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #104
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 73
Well, that's pushing it without the hood, for the 21 at least. It wouldn't be much of a squeeze to fit with a lens cap, but anything longer won't work. I don't know if a larger body would fit the pack, I only own the kx.

The pack will definitely stick out from your belt, I find it kind of annoying to carry that way. What I tend to do is zip up the camera but leave the shoulder strap hanging out of it, so I can have it slung over one shoulder as I walk about. But then when the camera is out you need a place to stuff the pack, so it's not a perfect solution either. I ended up getting the F5XB because of this, no need to worry about having to make sure the 40 is mounted to put it back in the pack. But if you are just carrying around a kx w/40 and another lens or two, you could just stuff the other ones in a fanny pack and head off.

I've taken out the camera quite a bit with the 1W the past few months and it's definitely nice to just grab and go. It's as close to a point and shoot as a dslr can get I think. Now that I have more lenses I needed another solution, but I could see myself using it still.
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #105
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
Cool, thanks for the info. I have other a larger sling/backpack and a medium-ish bag, but want something super small for just the K-x (or K-5 potentially) and one pancake for taking absolutely everywhere, ideally on my belt and along the belt (not across it, and i'd probably remove the neck strap). Bonus points if I can manage to fit in the 15mm or 35mm macro, but i realize those desires are at odds with each other.

Perhaps I can look into this one:
Lowepro - Lens Case 11 x 14cm
or the nikon leather one in the other thread.

Last edited by Eruditass; 04-28-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
glass, iq, k-mount, kit, landscape, lenses, macro, pentax, pentax lens, primes, range, slr lens, tele
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Pentax KX & prime Europe travel kit? WA-surfer Pentax DSLR Discussion 50 02-10-2011 12:12 AM
Prime kit recommendations paperbag846 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 10-26-2010 10:05 PM
K-X kit available with prime lens? frascati Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 02-13-2010 10:46 PM
Need help choosing a prime to go with the K-x 18-55 kit switters Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 12-01-2009 05:03 PM
New User - Advise on Lightweight Kit jonlee Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-22-2009 06:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top