Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tokina RMC 500mm f:8 mirror lens for $100. OK deal?

Hey folks.

Stumbled across a Tokina RMC 500mm f:8 mirror lens with hood & filters for $100. Is it worth it?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

04-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, it is. Check the mirror, known to issues of fungus growth in these mirrors. I snagged one on eBay last year for about $60, and happy with the results. Great reach in a small package.

You can find some examples in the Mirror lens club postings. It's agreed the Tamron 500mm is better, but the Tokina is no slouch:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/71775-mirror-lens-club.html

One of my shots from an airshow last year:

04-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How much better is the Tamron?
04-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
Yes, it is. Check the mirror, known to issues of fungus growth in these mirrors. I snagged one on eBay last year for about $60, and happy with the results. Great reach in a small package.

You can find some examples in the Mirror lens club postings. It's agreed the Tamron 500mm is better, but the Tokina is no slouch:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/71775-mirror-lens-club.html

One of my shots from an airshow last year:

That's a nice image no matter the lens!

04-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
How much better is the Tamron?
I think the Tamrons usually sell for several hundred dollars. About that much?
04-09-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Nick:

I think the Tamrons usually sell for several hundred dollars.
Nope. More like around, or under $200. If someone is charging "several hundred" for one, they're ripping you off.

Doesn't matter anyway.. The guy doesn't want to ship it. I'll probably hold out for a Tamron.
04-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Completed eBay listings run $200-300, which is what I meant by several hundred dollars (I was too lazy to look.) For the limited use it gets, I am quite happy with my Tokina 500mm mirror. Good luck lens hunting, Gibby!
04-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Nick. If I run across a good deal on a Tokina, maybe I'll snap it up. I think I'd rather have a Tamron, since I already have the Tamron SP 2x TC that might come in handy on it in certain very limited circumstances...

Cheers,

04-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #9

I owned both - kept the Tamron

A couple of years ago, I bought both for about $100 each, the Tokina perhaps in slightly newer condition than the Tamron. I checked them out side by side and found the contrast and color rendition of the Tamron to be a tad better than the Tokina. Overall, the performance of the two lenses was very close. Since the going price of the Tamron at the time was nearer to $200, I kept it and sold the Tokina.

if I had the choice between the Tokina at $100 and the Tamron at $200 or $250, I would take the Tokina!

Mike
04-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Mike.

Hmmm... If they're that close, maybe the Tokina would be a good deal. Actually, I'm getting some fairly decent quality shots out of my "doorstop" Spiratone. Sure, I have to bump up the contrast & color in Photoshop, but that's expected.

I'm sure either the Tokina or Tamron would be better than my current mirror, but I can squeak by with it for awhile 'til I can find a good deal.

I think the key with any mirror lens is working within it's limitations.

Cheers,
04-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've owned both. The Tamron 55BB is the best and has a closeup capability. The Tokina is very close in IQ but cooler temperature images with a bit less contrast. The Iq comes up with a bit of sharpening and temp and contrast can be adjusted in PP. At $100 in Pentax mount the Tokina would be a good buy. WiseOx has an excellent example of this lens' capabilities.