Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

chinon 50mm/quantaray 35-70 any good?

So I already got the lenses cheap enough on ebay. They will be used on a pentax ist-ds. Its the lenses that I'm wondering about but here is what I actually got. It was a chinon cp-7m, chinon 50mm 1.9 full manual, a quantaray 35-70 3.5-22 MF auto app, lenses came with original caps and quantaray uv filters with original boxes and instructions, original chinon camera bag, lens tissue, blower and cleaner, and original instructions for the camera and the quantaray lens. It even came with a sealed roll of film (that expired in 2001, lol) and an original chinon strap. I paid 16.50 + 9.99 shipping. Everything was in pristine condition for 20+ year old used equipment (either it was only used a couple of times or it was very well taken care of). There were no signs of wear of any kind. In all honesty, all I wanted was the fast prime. I might sell off the rest (or maybe play with film or at least keep the other lens, who knows).

So I have searched extensively and found a lot about the chinon lens, but mine seems different than any other ones I have seen. I gather its an average, decent, usable lens. Here is what every one I have seen looks like

Chinon/Pentax PK 50mm f/1.9 Lens | eBay

mine has the same text but different text spacing and color on the printing as seen in the pictures. I have a strong feeling this is the original lens that came with the camera meaning it was made between 1988 and 1990 if I recall right.

I cannot find anything about the quantaray lens. I have a couple of AF pentax lenses and several AF quantaray lenses so it will probably not get much use unless the glass is better than my other lenses?

Basically I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is the same chinon lens as the others even though the appearance is different, and is the quantaray one any good.

sorry about the pics. I'm new to manual focus lenses, and my eye site is just a little to bad to adjust the camera for (but not bad enough that I have gotten glasses), so I had to rely on the camera focus detection. I'm new to doing that way. The first 2 of the clock are the chinon prime wide open, the second 2 oif the clock are the quantaray at 35mm f8 and 70mm f8. The were taken at iso 200 with bounce flash. The rest are just to show the lenses (wasn't going for quality shots).

mf_lenses Photo Gallery by Richard Homeyer at pbase.com

04-09-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
how about the photos?

Sorry if my posts are too long. I'm trying to provide as much info as possible. Any comments of any kind would be appreciated. My eyes just are not good enough to judge anything solid about the lenses.

If nobody's familiar with the lenses, perhaps someone could comment on the photos of the clock (assuming my limited photography skills got images good enough to judge anything about the lenses)? How good do the lenses seem? The first 2 of the clock are the chinon prime, and the second two are the quantaray zoom.

If it would help, here are the other lenses I have. The prime is my only fast lens so of course I'll use it. Might the quantaray zoom be better than any of my other lenses? Fyi, yea I know I got a bunch of cheap glass. Cheap is the key word (maybe in about 15 years when the kids are grown up I'll be able to afford something better). I wish I would have known more back when I bought the camera (back then I might have been able to afford something better).

ist-ds 18-55 kit lens

pentax 80-200 4.7-5.6 (ouch, 4.4 rating in the lens database)
SMC Pentax-FA 80-200mm F4.7-5.6 Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Quantaray 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 LDO (8 rating in the database but only 1 review)
Quantaray 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 LDO Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Quantaray 28-90mm f3.5-5.6 version 5 (6.6 rating in the database)
Quantaray 28-90mm f3.5-5.6 version 5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

quantary 70-300 1.4-5.6 LDO MACRO (6.5 rating in the database)
quantary 70-300 1.4-5.6 LDO MACRO Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
04-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are they any good? Use them and find out. Just about any lens has it sweet spot. I've seen some pretty good shots posted around the forum from Chinon 50's. Quantaray lenses are a brand sold by Ritz camera and are relabeled. Most of the ones made in recent years were Sigma or Tamron made. I would say you did all right for $16.50.
04-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yea, I'm familiar with what quantaray are (could be made by anyone as they don't make any of their own stuff). I have a whole cabinet full of their stuff. I used to live near a wolf camera clearance center ( I think there are only 2 nation wide), and they get all the clearance stuff from all over the country. Thats where I got my ist-ds a few years ago (275$ new with kit lens). It was a bit out dated at the time but half the price of any current model dslr kit. I'm quite glad I wound up with pentax (just chance), but I really wish I knew then what I know now.

I think what my main worry is, when/if I ever get glasses, I'll find that all my photos suck because the glass wasn't that good. I'm not sure I can properly judge a good lens. My eye site is just beyond what the camera can adjust for on the viewfinder slider. I never even knew my eye site was bad till I got this camera. I can see clearly and read fine, but I guess things are a bit softer or perhaps a little less sharp than someone with good eye site. I would assume that would make it hard to judge such things though. Its too bad its near sightedness (if it were far sighted a cheap pair of reading glasses would fix the problem).

In other words, I guess I'm looking for someone with good eye site to second guess my opinion (I really don't have any major complaints about any of my lenses and these look fine too, keeping in mind the cost of them (mostly budget lenses).

04-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wear trifocals. We all go through this as we grow older. I adjust my diopter and shoot without my glasses and get pretty good results. I'm farsighted and my distance vision it still pretty good. I need my glasses because I can't see a thing on the LCD screen without them. I'm not familiar with the camera body you're using but from what others have posted, trap focus worked on the Pentax AF film cameras as well as on all the digital cameras. It's going to be difficult to judge a lens if you aren't sure if you have focused properly. I rely on the focus indicator also. A split image viewfinder is also a worthwhile investment if you are going to shoot with a MF lens a lot.

I you aren't familiar with trap focus, setting the camera on AF-S won't allow the shutter to fire unless focus is achieved so slowly turning the focus ring by hand and pressing the shutter button down, the shutter will fire when you hit focus. You are using the camera's auto focus system to achieve focus and fire the shutter. WIth some practice, you can get really fast doing this.
04-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on trap focus. That might come in very handy. It would seem that there is more to it than just the af-s setting on the ds. you must also have the body set to af and something else I think (not sure what I did). Regardless, I got it working. Thanks.

I did run into one other little problem. When I turn the focus ring till it focuses and fires, at the moment it fires, the focus ring lurches forward out of focus. I assume that movement in the lens when firing is reducing the normal resistance on the focusing ring and the pressure I am applying already makes it lurch forward. I'll have to work on that. When searching for trap lock info, another way people use with wild life is to focus close, and then let the camera fire when the subject moves into focus. That might work with fast moving kids too, lol.

Last edited by ripit; 04-09-2011 at 11:46 AM.