Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are the typical camera settings for star burst for the 15mm? Aperature, exposure, etc?

04-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
What are the typical camera settings for star burst for the 15mm? Aperature, exposure, etc?
It's all about aperture, I use f16 or f22, the smaller the aperture the more starburst. To meter I point the camera at the blue sky so it doesn't have the sun in frame, hit the AE-L button to lock exposure, then recompose and take the picture.

I sometimes use live view and manual focus if I'm going to be taking more than 10 or so, as looking through the VF with the sun in frame hurts my eye, and there's potential for long term damage to eye sight I think.
04-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Thanks twitch, that was very helpful and informative. =]
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Sure, one thing I forgot to add is that the sun can't be obscurred at all by cloud or mist, if it is the star burst wont work.

Another thing I sometimes do is do HDR bracketing to really turn the star burst up to 11

04-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #35
Site Supporter

The DA15 'starburst' effect works well on less demanding points of light too.

04-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Any aperture f/8 or smaller should do it, and you need an unobscured line of sight to the light source (no clouds or such). Exposure shouldn't matter unless you overexpose enough to blow out everything and obliterate the effect.
04-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Originally posted by selar
I would buy the DA15 Ltd but have held off so far
Sounds like you're being sarcastic here?
Actually, i'm not being sarcastic. I have given the matter serious consideration, and have even registered to be notified when it comes into stock at B&H.
The DA 15 is undoubtedly a fine lens, and at its price point I would buy it without a moments hesitation if I didn't already own a Ultra Wide prime.
04-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I love that second photo and how EricT has creatively used the sunspot to envelop the couple in a golden halo.
Thank you! My point was to show that sometimes technical deficiencies can be used creatively.

04-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
just saying that pic has a hell of a lot of flare, whether you like that amount is up to you...

Here's how the DA15 handles a similair situation (no flare artifacts I can see)

Here's how the DA12-24 copes (ie, not as well but not horrible, but that lower left flare is borderline unacceptable IMHO)

The DA21 is only a touch behind the DA15 in resistance, but much better than any of the zooms. On the left is the DA21 shot, on the right is a shot taken at the same time but with a Canon 17-55 f2.8 (it's a $1k zoom, not a kit lens)

My conclusion is that for flare resistance primes can't be beaten, it's not even close, no matter how expensive the zoom. Flare resistance is very handy to have, and not just for shooting into the sun (as can be seen in the DA21 pic)
I don't agree that your first shot is similar, as the sun is much closer to the edge of the picture. See the other shot I posted, virtually no flare. However, it's impossible to compare lenses like this, a side-by-side comparison is the only way to go. And as I said, the 15mm has better flare resistance, this is obvious. I just wanted to show that shooting into the sun with the 16-50 is possible, and can give good results. Good flare resistance is "nice to have", but so is 2.8, weather-sealing and zoom as well these are two very different lenses. I will probably (hopefully) own both at some point!
04-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
And as I said, the 15mm has better flare resistance, this is obvious. I just wanted to show that shooting into the sun with the 16-50 is possible, and can give good results. Good flare resistance is "nice to have", but so is 2.8, weather-sealing and zoom as well these are two very different lenses. I will probably (hopefully) own both at some point!
Exactly. One is not 'better' than the other.
10-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I think the 16-50 sounds like an excellent lens, and I'm definitely envious of the 2.8 aperture and the weather sealing, but I can definitely say that there's just something about the images I get with the DA15. I have a 50-135 and I can tell the difference. It's not sharpness, or colour, nor flare resistance or whatever. It's kind of like, more pronounced textures. And as someone said somewhere, the DA15 produces images as if it has a CPL already attached. There's something very crystalline about the images. Maybe not to everyone's tastes, but they are very distinct, sharp and alluring.

Or maybe I'm just kidding myself and I secretly want the 16-50 instead. Who knows. I do know that I want more limiteds though. And I think the DA15 is perfectly proportioned ^-^
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
As the originator of this thread, I thought that I might weigh in with my experience with both lenses. I did purchase the DA15 Limited as part of a plan to complete a set of prime lenses that will cover most of my shooting needs. I still have the DA*16-50. There is no doubt that the DA15 is optically superior to the DA*16-50 at the wide end. It is also much smaller and lighter and more fun to use. That said, the DA* is still a very fine lens that is capable of producing outstanding images. It really boils down to a personal choice between versatility and IQ/size. Some days, I shoot with primes, and other days with the zoom.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 10-04-2011 at 09:57 PM.
10-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote

So what I want to know is whether the DA15 is really something special or just the object of a lot of LBA hype.

Rob
Both. There is long thread (somewhat bloated by mutual admirers) here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #44
Site Supporter

15 ltd and 16-50 are different tools, both have their place in the kit. I like the 15 (been using one for a while now) for it`s small size and the color rendering but I would never expose it to stuff that the DA* sees.
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #45
Pentaxian

The DA15 has been my most used lens over this summer. I do a lot of car shows and the flare resistance is a huge benefit. Car shows are mostly out in open fields in the middle of the day and and with all that polished paint and chrome, you get starbursts all over the place and the car owners love them. Flare pops up on occasion but it's rare and slight when it's there.