Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
As the originator of this thread, I thought that I might weigh in with my experience with both lenses. I did purchase the DA15 Limited as part of a plan to complete a set of prime lenses that will cover most of my shooting needs. I still have the DA*16-50. There is no doubt that the DA15 is optically superior to the DA*16-50 at the wide end. It is also much smaller and lighter and more fun to use. That said, the DA* is still a very fine lens that is capable of producing outstanding images. It really boils down to a personal choice between versatility and IQ/size. Some days, I shoot with primes, and other days with the zoom.

Rob
While I'm at it, I might as well add my impression of how the DA15 compares with my other primes--the FA33, FA43 and FA77 Limiteds. The DA15 produces exceptionally sharp (at least in the center,) crisp and punchy images with well saturated colors. The FA Limiteds produce equally sharp, if not sharper, images that are smoother and less punchy and have slightly less saturated colors. To some extent, one can equalize the two in PP, but not completely. I really like my DA15 and have gotten some great shots with it, but if there were an FA15 Limited in the Pentax lineup, I would trade for it. Others may prefer the rendering of the DA Limiteds, which is fine with me, as this is a matter of personal taste.

Rob