Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Nice shot, and advice, how do you like your lens?
I'm fussy with IQ and own a few pricey lenses, but every time I use the 55-300 I get surprised at how good the image quality is. I do have another cheap zoom (different range though) and it has no where near as good image quality of the 55-300, so I do know bad IQ when I see it.

04-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Quickshift allows you to turn the focus ring with your hand without having to switch the auto focus switch from auto to manual. In some situations this is very useful (eg when you are shooting through or past a foreground object at something more distant, if the camera grabs the foreground object you can rleease the shutter and spin the focus ring by hand to force it to pick up the distant object rather than having to switch the body back and forth between auto and manual before spinning the focus.
The regular DA version not only offers quick-shift (which is useful for the above described reason), but also a metal mount, hood and case. It's about $100 more expensive than the less expensive DA L kit lens version. Whether it's worth the extra cash is up to the individual user

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm fussy with IQ and own a few pricey lenses, but every time I use the 55-300 I get surprised at how good the image quality is. I do have another cheap zoom (different range though) and it has no where near as good image quality of the 55-300, so I do know bad IQ when I see it.
Agreed. The 55-300 is actually the least expensive lens I own at the moment, but I am consistently impressed with its overall IQ. For it's cost and size it's a really fantastic lens (IMO).
04-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
What is "quick shift"?
and is it worth $350 for that DA lens?
I own a Sigma 70-300 APO, and am very happy with it. I only wish the Pentax had been around at the time.
04-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
For it's cost and size it's a really fantastic lens (IMO).
In my opinion as well.

04-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a zoom that goes to 300mm at a budget, the DA 55-300 is (in my opinion) your best option. It performs exceedingly well for its price-point.

As for future lenses and Sigma vs. Tamron, I personally like Sigma much better; their lenses are top notch *if* you get a good copy (which is most of the time). I recommend purchasing either of these brands only when there is a return policy of at least a few days to try it out. That said, Sigma makes some amazing glass (30/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 100-300, etc).
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for everyones input I sure appreciate it all, it looks like I will just kick out the extra dough and just get the Pentax, I have NEVER had any issues with Pentax so I might as well stick with it. I was out yesterday on a hike with my wife and daughter and had only the SMC Penax 50mm 1:1.4 that I have had for the last thirty years and I am still very impressed with that one little lens, for all that I have put it through it keeps performing like it was brand new right out of the box. If I could only have the same IQ as that little lens but with some 300mm reach. Ya.......Pentax is it.