Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I had one in my shopping cart this morning but I managed to procrastinate it away. I got the 18-135, even though I said I'm done with superzooms. I need a plan.
Sounds like you need a lens roadmap

04-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Sounds like you need a lens roadmap
The old Pentax roadmap is part of my problem. Remember about three years ago they promised a supertelephoto? I'm still waiting. Every time I just about buy the DA*300, Is go through the same thought process: I would like a longer prime than 300mm because I have a good 55-300. So all I'm getting is better IQ, no increase in range. I have a Kenko 1.5 PZ teleconverter, but it didn't do well on the only SDM lens I tried it with. What if I buy the DA*300 and Pentax releases a supertele?

Once I go through all this, I bale and make an impulse purchase. So yeah, I need a personal roadmap.
04-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So all I'm getting is better IQ, no increase in range.
But better IQ, desirable in its own right, also effectively increases range--either via cropping or TC. The DA*300 works very well with Pentax TCs, IMO.
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
But better IQ, desirable in its own right, also effectively increases range--either via cropping or TC. The DA*300 works very well with Pentax TCs, IMO.
What Dave said.

I have the 55-300 too. Since I bought the *300 it hasn't been on the camera once (except for this test). The *300 is so flexible (but heavier !), close ups, fantastic DoF and bokeh, superb IQ and the greatly increased resolution means cropping to 1:1 isn't a factor - try that at distance with the 55-300 and see what it looks like. Also the *300 should play very nicely with your TC.

BTW if walking around all day with it then I recommend a Black Rapid or similar - works superbly. I even leave the monopod attached so can shoot with it on the lense or quickly extend it for extra stability.

04-13-2011, 04:02 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What if ... Pentax releases a supertele?
It'll be a sign of the End Time.
04-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I have the 55-300 too. Since I bought the *300 it hasn't been on the camera once (except for this test). The *300 is so flexible (but heavier !), close ups, fantastic DoF and bokeh, superb IQ and the greatly increased resolution means cropping to 1:1 isn't a factor - try that at distance with the 55-300 and see what it looks like. Also the *300 should play very nicely with your TC.
+1

I have an F*300/4.5 and it's an order of magnitude better than the 55-300. No problems for heavy crops, even when using my 1.7x AF teleconverter.

With the high ISO ability of modern DSLRs, I don't feel no need for those heavy 300/2.8 primes anymore. I don't know whether I would buy a new 400mm or 500mm lens from Pentax either, as it would be much bulkier than my 300mm and I am not sure it would offer much better image quality than using a teleconverter with the 300mm (with the 1.7x TC, I get a very compact autofocus 510/8 lens)... As for moon shots and other longest lens contests, I have a closet full of old 500mm or 600mm lenses, which are more than enough for this kind of recreational activities.

Cheers!

Abbazz
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right now if I want a lens to go with my DA* 60-250, it might have to be the SIGMA 500MM F4.5 APO EX DG HSM PENTAX. Stepping up to a 300mm doesn't make a lot of sense, a lot of lens to carry for an added 50mm. Without the aforementioned super tele, looks like that's the only option. I'm guessing you pretty much are in lens heaven there Abbaz. Next time I have 6 grand lying around I'll give it a look. Can anyone post some pictures to give me an example of image quality.. anyone? going once... going twice....