Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tamron Adaptall & Adaptall 2 Mount: What's The Difference?

I'm planing to purchase Tamron Adaptall 135mm telephoto f/2.8 lens. It seems that it is with adaptall (version 1 ?) mount. I already have an adaptall 2 mount. Will it fit?

04-11-2011, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
I'm planing to purchase Tamron Adaptall 135mm telephoto f/2.8 lens. It seems that it is with adaptall (version 1 ?) mount. I already have an adaptall 2 mount. Will it fit?
Yes it is an Adaptall ("without-2") system lens, CT-135 from 1976-79:

Tamron Adaptall Series Lenses

And yes, you can use your Adaptall-2 Custom Mount for Adaptall lenses also. In fact, Adaptall-2 mounts are said to be mechanically much more reliable than the Adaptall mounts.

And, by the way, I have seen quite a few pictures taken with this 135/2.8 lens. It appears to be a fine optical performer.

B.R. / Steen G. B.
04-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hmm OK.
But what about this 'Adapt-Matic' mount? Is it interchangeable with Adaptall or Adaptall 2 mount?
04-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Hmm OK.
But what about this 'Adapt-Matic' mount? Is it interchangeable with Adaptall or Adaptall 2 mount?
No. Adapta-matic lenses mated to the adapter with a 42mm thread (not the M42 mount, however); all Adaptall lenses mate with a bayonet-type fitting. This pertains specifically to the Adaptall lens-to-adapter system and has nothing to do with the camera body mount.

The progression was from a T-mount/threaded adapter (Adapta-matic) to a simple bayonet system (Adaptall) to the present, improved Adaptall-2 bayonet mount.

QuoteQuote:
From -- Tamron Company History [[ adaptall-2.org ]]
"The Adaptall mount system . . . featured bayonet attachment of the [adapter] to the lens versus the earlier Adapt-A-Matic's screw attachment rings. In terms of convenience, these new Adaptall mounts were far more convenient to install and use.
H2

04-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

Adaptamatic mounts are not the same as Adaptall. But they do not have a 42mm thread, that's Tamron's T-2 mount. They are very fiddly, and attach with a lock ring with internal 58mm threads.

Adaptamatic mounts greatly pre-date K-mount, so there's no K-mount version. (It's a feasible, but substantial, machining project to make one. KA-mount is impossible.)
04-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Shriver Quote
Adaptamatic mounts are not the same as Adaptall. But they do not have a 42mm thread, that's Tamron's T-2 mount.
Correct -- I knew that didn't look right when I wrote it. Fiddly, indeed. Thanks. H2