Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The M 28 f2 is actually a better rated lens than the K 28 F2 according to the splosdb. The splosdb ratings are based on lens resolution tests by Yoshio Takinami and Frank Wasti from the PDML. However, this seems to be the exception that proves the rule, in general the K versions were better rated.
I never stated which was better, just the physical differences

I would never get the K 28mm F/2 anyways. They go for way to much IMO and they are as I said huge

04-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #32
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
There are dinosaurs still walking around, and I'm one of 'em. I know I'm in the minority, but I like big and heavy lenses. The first time I held my K 50 f/1.2, I was surprised -and thrilled- at its heft.

For me, the way a lens looks and feels is nearly as important as how it performs. My M, A, F and DA lenses are appliances. The K 50 is a jewel.

Tim
You are not alone Tim.
Although my reasons are bit different. I have relatively large palms and long fingers (for my height anyway) and quite strong flick in the wrist. As a result, small and light setups get shaken easily and I find them tad uncomfortable to handle. On bright exception is FA43. I'm quite happy with that one. On the other side, I never really made friends with FA77. It is partly because of it's FL but for my liking it's bit small. Sure it's easy to carry around but I can't get used to it. Not to mention it makes K-7 look like consumer superzoom my FA24 is by far the to go lens, followed by FA31, and now I just bought DA55 to replace 77
04-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chongmic Quote
Is there significant different between optical quality of both series? Let say on a 135mm lens.
Pentax released the M series in 1976 to keep up with Olympus in compact 35mm lens/body design, mostly for the consumer market. The M series lenses were not improvements in optical design over the K series lenses they replaced, they were just smaller. It wasn’t until the A series lenses that you saw optical improvements like the A*85/1.4 or the A*135/1.8 to name a few.

That’s why you don’t see M series lenses fetching much in today’s market, like you do for some K and A series lenses. (Exception the M2000mm reflex) They’re optically good but I wouldn’t consider any M series lens a classic like a K50/1.2, K28/2, A* or FA ltd lenses. The one exception would have been the prototype M35/1.4 which is based on the K28/2 optical design and featured floating elements. The M35/1.4 however was big and had a 58mm filter thread, not exactly a typical M series lens. That’s most likely the reason it never went into production, as well as its most likely high selling price.

As for the K28/2.0 vs the M & A28/2.0, there is no comparison. The K28/2.0 is like the K50/1.2, they are classics and are unique lenses. It’s not about sharpness, it about the effects these lenses can produce when used in a specific way. There is no M series lens that remotely comes close to the K50/1.2 or the K28/2.0 optically. Once you try these two lenses you’ll understand.

Phil.
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IMO the M series excels as small, affordable primes precisely when they don't compromise.

My M135/3.5, M50/1.7 and M28/3.5 are stellar wide open and blazing sharp all way through. It helps to remember that these came to market at roughly the same time as higher-ISO speed colour neg film was becoming more affordable and ubiquitous.

Sound familiar?