Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
But is it worth having only this lens if you only plan on portraits and general pics but mainly for pro portraits? I know some have already answered but I am leaning towards selling my super taks and using saved money to get the lens. On the other hand I thought about saving my super taks and going with some nice slave lighting, umbrella, and radio triggers.
Which lens are you talking about now, still the DA70? Personally, the 70-85mm range is my favorite for portraits, but if we are now comparing purchases of other equipment, lighting is more important for studio portraits, especially when you have glass that is at or near that range.

As others have noted, manual focus is not difficult in the studio setting, and once you set your lighting up, automatic exposure is not an issue, either. Your zooms and taks should get you there.

04-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Which lens are you talking about now, still the DA70? Personally, the 70-85mm range is my favorite for portraits, but if we are now comparing purchases of other equipment, lighting is more important for studio portraits, especially when you have glass that is at or near that range.

As others have noted, manual focus is not difficult in the studio setting, and once you set your lighting up, automatic exposure is not an issue, either. Your zooms and taks should get you there.
It's actually outdoor portraits.

edit: maybe I should do indoor portraits. Kind of creepy leading people to a photography studio in my garage though.

Last edited by justtakingpics; 04-14-2011 at 09:46 AM.
04-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you need investment in other areas than lenses to acheive your objective.
04-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking at the list of lenses you own, I'd dump most of the M42's in a heartbeat if that were the best way to fund a good portrait lens. Only the 50 or 55 would stay; the rest really just duplicate what you have in zooms.

04-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Looking at the list of lenses you own, I'd dump most of the M42's in a heartbeat if that were the best way to fund a good portrait lens. Only the 50 or 55 would stay; the rest really just duplicate what you have in zooms.
I thought I would dump all but the 50 so you have confirmed what I thought. Typically, at least in my research, the 50 1.4 lenses are more costly and good investments. This was just the 1.4 before that AF era but still a good lens. The 55 has sharp images, however. I have yet to decide. Thanks.