Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by testdasi Quote
Someone suggested me to buy the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 instead of the DA* 50-135. Does any one have any experience with the Sigma lens? What are the common problems with the lens?

Any help/info/comment is greatly appreciated.
I bought the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 in November, and I couldn't be happier. It's not much bigger than my Pentax 55-300mm. Build quality is top-notch, and the HSM autofocus is super fast and super quiet. It's a great portrait lens for when you want to keep some distance. I've found that it has allowed me to get some great close-up candid portraits of children since you can be all the way across the room and they don't even realize you're photographing them.

The only common problem I'm aware of is focus accuracy at close distances. My copy does not always focus accurately when the subject is closer than 10 feet. But I think this is just a weakness inherent in the design of a lens optimized to be used at a distance. From what I've heard most f/2.8 mid-to-long telephotos don't do great at close distances. But beyond 10 or 15 feet my 50-150mm has extremely accurate autofocus.

If I'm planning to shoot closer than 10 feet, I use my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. That lens almost works as a macro and can focus on subjects just inches in front of it.

I'll post some of my favorite shots from this lens in a few minutes.

04-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

And as promised, here are some of my favorite family portraits I've gotten the last few months with my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 on my Pentax K-x. All of the images were shot at f/2.8. The picture of the blonde girl was shot at ISO 1600, but I believe the rest were all shot at ISO 200.

I have a home studio, but these shots are all candid images. In my studio I always use my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

All of the shots are linked to the full-size 12MP image, so pixel-peeping is available. Click on the image to download the full, 12MP image file. If you do download the full-size image, you'll be able to see the exceptional sharpness that this lens produces at f/2.8.

04-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
Good luck finding one unless you're shooting canon
They are still available (in Pentax mount) from some outlets with remaining stock. I bought mine in February and I've seen them still advertised at a great price just a couple of weeks ago.
04-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
One of the key advantages of the 50-135/150 zooms was that they were much smaller than the 70-200 ones.
Right! The "old" 50-150mm fits into my holster bag but the 70-200mm doesn't.

04-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

This sigma is one of the best lenses I've tested. It is very sharp form corner to corner, bokeh is gfreat and smooth, AF is fast and silent. Really adorable lens, get it if you can. I planed to purschase it however they were out of stock, so I bought 70-200mm which is a lot bigger and heavier, but still impressive
04-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too own the Sigma. Fantastic lens. I primarily use it for my sports stuff... It has less CA wide open than my D FA 100mm WR Macro. If you can get a used one, then jump on it. It's nice and small (doesn't get tiring to carry around all day).
04-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It's really a shame that Sigma discontinued the 50-150mm non-OS and replaced it with a much larger and heavier (and I'm sure more expensive) version. But it probably wasn't a real hot seller since it seems like a lot of people were not even aware of it. I know I didn't discover it until just recently.

I think that some of this lack of notoriety may have been caused by some bad early reviews. One of the big sites had some trouble with focus accuracy. I'm not sure if they had some early bad copies, or if their indoor close-range focus tests just weren't realistic for the lens, but it would have been enough to dissuade me if I hadn't seen all of the positive customer reviews on the retail sites.

04-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
They are still available (in Pentax mount) from some outlets with remaining stock. I bought mine in February and I've seen them still advertised at a great price just a couple of weeks ago.
for how much?
04-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
for how much?
They were 400 GBP at Ffordes (less another 17% VAT if exporting outside the EU) .. however I've just heard from someone else on here that they have sold out now. I did see in the last couple of weeks another UK retailer selling them ... can't remember who, could be Parkes or SRS or someone else.
04-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
If you want teh Sigma then get a hold of the discontinued one. The new Sigm 50-150 is the same (gigantic) size as their 70-200, ridiculous but seemingly true if the published specs are to be believed. One of the key advantages of the 50-135/150 zooms was that they were much smaller than the 70-200 ones.
I am not sure what your talking about, as far as I know and based on my research, sigma doesn't have a current 50-150mm lens at any speed or price..
04-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I am not sure what your talking about, as far as I know and based on my research, sigma doesn't have a current 50-150mm lens at any speed or price..
New Product Announcement: APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM | sigmaphoto.com

Notice the dimensions (length & diameter), these are the same as the big brother 70-200 (in fact the new 50-150 is slightly longer).
04-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
It's really a shame that Sigma discontinued the 50-150mm non-OS and replaced it with a much larger and heavier (and I'm sure more expensive) version. But it probably wasn't a real hot seller since it seems like a lot of people were not even aware of it. I know I didn't discover it until just recently.

I think that some of this lack of notoriety may have been caused by some bad early reviews. One of the big sites had some trouble with focus accuracy. I'm not sure if they had some early bad copies, or if their indoor close-range focus tests just weren't realistic for the lens, but it would have been enough to dissuade me if I hadn't seen all of the positive customer reviews on the retail sites.
The Sigma 50-150/2.8 HSM had two versions, HSM I and II. The first HSM version wasn't offered in Pentax K mount. Only the HSM II was. That's why it wasn't very popular among Pentax users. But that isn't the case for Nikon and Canon users. Truth is that it was a very popular model and FL range, and that is why it was among the first to have been remodelled to include OS by Sigma.
04-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #28

Good luck finding one unless you're shooting canon
I believe this. I can't find it anywhere. Must be my bad search skills but where do you buy this lens?
04-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I believe this. I can't find it anywhere. Must be my bad search skills but where do you buy this lens?
I'm telling you, I've been looking for this in a Pentax mount for 3 months now and have yet to find a new one and the used ones are way overpriced.

QuoteQuote:
New Product Announcement: APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM | sigmaphoto.com

Notice the dimensions (length & diameter), these are the same as the big brother 70-200 (in fact the new 50-150 is slightly longer).
Great another $2000 lens...
04-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been looking for this in a Pentax mount for 3 months now and have yet to find a new one
Wow! I bought mine this January. I knew I was in a race against time but it looks like I just made it under the wire. I gotta think there are a few out there in some retailer's storeroom somewhere.