Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

DA 21mm 3.2 - some thoughts

We have been having some unseasonably hot and sunny weather here in the South East of England - so I decided to head out with the DA 21mm 3.2 to stretch it's legs.

I'm lucky to live in a very pretty village in rural Oxfordshire, and as the evening drew in I decided to take advantage of the beautifully forming golden light and headed down to our village church.

For those of you who are interested, parts of it date back to the 11th century, but most of what you see now is more likely 13th - 15th century.

On to the DA 21mm - It's a superb lens to use - and the lighting was tricky to say the least. The K5 performed admirably, and I was amazed to see how much shadow detail I could recover from some of the shots. However, as I think many have said when it comes to the DA Limiteds, it's the colour and the contrast that really counts here and I think this is where the 21 shined..

Here's a few samples from the shoot - got to say, I'm really beginning to love these DA Limiteds the more I use them.. anyone else loving their DA 21 too?

04-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
gorgeous colours indeed. especially the second one. It's indeed impressive how you managed to preserve highlights and shadows.

I positively love my DA21. I find myself using it mire and more, even though the Siggy 17-70 is more convenient, the DA21 is more satisfying (and that's saying something!) It's probably my most rewarding lens.
04-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's indeed impressive how you managed to preserve highlights and shadows.
Spot metered on the sunlit gravestone then bracketed about a stop either direction (5 shots). Interestingly I used the originally metered shot. Using Aperture I dialled in a bit of shadow recovery and a bit of contrast but that was about it - oh, and a touch of highlight recovery as there were a few little patches on the sunlit gravestone where it was on the border of blowing out..

What's funny is I thought I'd miss the flexibility of a zoom - but everyone who loves primes is right - you chose one, go look at the scene, and then think about the composition - it forces me to move around and get the right angle. I reckon I spent about 10 mins trying to find the right position for those two gravestone shots.. I ended up half in a bush to fit it in!
04-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Superb colors...

The DA 21 is one of those Limiteds that I knew was out there but had not seen too many people talk about.

04-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Superb colors...

The DA 21 is one of those Limiteds that I knew was out there but had not seen too many people talk about.
Well I'm certainly impressed with it - can't decide between DA15 or DA70 next.. Hmmmmmmm
04-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I liked the 21 a lot, but I couldn't get down with the distortion, which is evident in these (otherwise gorgeous) photos as well.
04-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I liked the 21 a lot, but I couldn't get down with the distortion, which is evident in these (otherwise gorgeous) photos as well.
I'm sort of at peace with the distortion now.. but having said that, it's an old church - it might just be a dodgy curved building

04-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to renting the 21mm for a weekend with lots of photography. To me the barrel distortion doesn't look bad in these images, but I'm kind of used to the 10-17 fisheye (a fun lens).

If I really like the 21mm I'll have to look at the 15mm and compare experiences. Then again, I've heard so much good reviews about the 12-24 that it makes the decision difficult. In the end, I would like to add one of the wide-angle primes to my kit. They seem so useful for architecture and indoor candid shots.
04-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'm looking forward to renting the 21mm for a weekend with lots of photography. To me the barrel distortion doesn't look bad in these images, but I'm kind of used to the 10-17 fisheye (a fun lens).

If I really like the 21mm I'll have to look at the 15mm and compare experiences. Then again, I've heard so much good reviews about the 12-24 that it makes the decision difficult. In the end, I would like to add one of the wide-angle primes to my kit. They seem so useful for architecture and indoor candid shots.
In the shop - when I was looking at a range of wide angle options, I did look at the 12-24 as well - but I was looking to put together a small size lightweight kit - and both the DA15 and DA21 were significantly smaller.

Not a consideration for most, I guess, but it was for me at the time. I do toy with the idea of one of the WA Zooms from time to time. Then I think about the next DA Limited I could get and somehow forget about the zooms for a bit..
04-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
REM
Forum Member

I have the 21mm Ltd and I love it. It just doesn't seem to get much praise at times. Everybody either raves at the 70mm portrait taking abilities, the 40mm size and fast autofocus, and/or the magic of the 15mm.

For awhile, the 40mm and the 21mm were my only lenses. And I used the 21 the most. Now that I have more lenses, it is still one of the most used. Great walkaround compact lens.
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently acquired the DA 21, my third limited lens after the 35 and 15 respectively. I used for a monthly challenge every day in March which was a bleak, miserably and wickedly cold month to say the least. It took me a while to warm to it but I was impressed by the detail it could capture and the way it renders detail (not sure if that is the best way to describe it). I can't wait to see how it performs if spring ever arrives.

04-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Interesting thread, could we have more images please?
My point is, as many times before, I'm at the fork in the road (mainly budgetary reasons) as for what the future of my line up should be.
Option a) keep 3 FAltds and swap FA*24 for 21ltd to get, small light, transportable yet very capable line up
Option b) keep FA*24 + 31ltd and get either A50/1.2 or DA*55

Both options have their merits but I can't find too much info on 21ltd...

So more pictures please
04-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
SPB

Yes it sure is a lens that I would not sell. I use it a lot. Most of the car shots on my site are taken with this lens.

http://www.entourage-butterworth.net/morges/
04-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #14

don't know what to say but i shot a wedding using 21mm ltd 90%+...
this is my fav portrait lens too!
04-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I liked the 21 a lot, but I couldn't get down with the distortion
I was surprised as well with mine. I already have a fisheye, and the 12-24 seems to be pretty straight :-)

However, these are nice shots, particularly #2.