Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
could someone please tell me what this is?

When I was cleaning my smc M135 f3.5 this fell out of the part of the lens that attaches to the body. No idea what it is for. anyone have any ideas what it is and if I need it?
It sits inside the mount of the lens (if that makes sense)
thanks

04-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like a baffle to cut down on stray reflections.
04-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, that's exactly what it is. A lot of lenses have these (that don't have elements near the mount)..

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks guys. which angle does it go back in and does it cut some of the light so the lens won't be as fast?

thanks a million

cheers

04-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The baffle has only one orientation to ensure the lens performs correctly and it attaches with a few small screws. You can go without it but may get some minor reflections off parts in the mirror box
04-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The baffle has only one orientation to ensure the lens performs correctly and it attaches with a few small screws. You can go without it but may get some minor reflections off parts in the mirror box
so buy mine coming off does that mean it is broken off?

thanks
04-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It shouldn't just fall off. I'm assuming that since it just fell off, that it's supposed to snap into the lens somehow. One thing you do need to give some attention to, is to make sure that it is aligned properly when you reinstall it. I'm thinking that the longer dimension should go across the top and the bottom of the lens to coincide with the orientation of the sensor. I have a Tamron 50-200 zoom that has that kind of baffle on the back of the lens. The orientation is as I previously described.

04-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my 300/4 this looks like it is part of the assembly with the flange that protects the aperture lever. It attaches by 3 screws through the side of the mount
04-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have at least six or seven photos of Pentax-M 135/3.5s that don't have a rectangular baffle. It looks like the K version to me, which looks like this:

The orange diamond above the aperture ring should end up at top center when the lens is mounted. The center of the long side of the rectangle should line up with the orange diamond. Don't worry that much about alignment. On APS-C, because the longest dimension of the sensor is the same as the shortest side of the film rectangle, you could be 90 degrees off and still OK.
04-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have at least six or seven photos of Pentax-M 135/3.5s that don't have a rectangular baffle. It looks like the K version to me, which looks like this:

The orange diamond above the aperture ring should end up at top center when the lens is mounted. The center of the long side of the rectangle should line up with the orange diamond. Don't worry that much about alignment. On APS-C, because the longest dimension of the sensor is the same as the shortest side of the film rectangle, you could be 90 degrees off and still OK.
I was curious about this too. I have an M135 f3.5 and a K135 f2.5. Just as Dave stated, my M has no baffle, but the K does. It appears, as wheatfield said, that it may have been been simply cemented in.
04-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

To add to the plot, I have a K 200mm f4 which has an identical plate. It's cemented in (and is matte black).