Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax da 16-45mm in sunlight

Hi everyone, I was wondering if some of you guys could share their experience in using the Pentax DA 16-45mm in hi contrast zone with and without the lens hood ? Would you say that a hood makes a big difference with this lens ?
I have the opportunity to get this lens used for a good price, 215$, but the hood is not included and I cannot find one (beside for 63$ from Pentax, which is a non sense to me) .

Looking forward for your comments,

Thanks.

Karl

04-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By the way, I know I could just buy the lens and a cheapo hood but I dislike to have to scew the hood on the lens. I guess that it is what I will do.
Still curious how the lens performs in sunlights and high contrasty environment...
04-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

My experience is that the hood helps only in very specific situations with the light source at very specific angles.

What it does do however is keep rain and snow and fingerprints off the glass.

Paul
04-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's a VERY good price and I would take it, get the screw on hood, and post a wanted post on here for the hood. I've seen threads where they're given away for free so you can probably get one for less than $63.

04-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a tough call. I think I would want the original hood. I use the lens as a walk around, so I like having a hood that comes on and off quickly, reverses and has the little window to rotate a polarizer. My lens came without an original cap and I find that a little irritating - the replacement isn't that good.

It's hard for me to say whether it blocks stray light well enough. A zoom hood is always a compromise anyway. I know the lens isn't perfectly flare resistant, but I haven't seen anything objectionable without trying hard:

04-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I may buy the lens. I'm well tempted at that price as I'm eager to try 16mm versus 18mm. I'm curious to see how much wider it is.
04-13-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Every MM at the wide end adds a significant amount - the 16-45 is well worth it at that price. Like suggested above, pick up a cheap 3-stage rubber hood for now and post in the wanted section for the original.
04-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
By the way, I know I could just buy the lens and a cheapo hood but I dislike to have to scew the hood on the lens. I guess that it is what I will do.
Still curious how the lens performs in sunlights and high contrasty environment...
These zooms have large hoods for a very good reason. More elements in a lens makes it more flare prone.

04-13-2011, 05:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Buy it now and worry about the hood later, something is bound to come along to get you hood. By the way in the interim you can make your own.

Look here: Print and Fit your Lens Hood