Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #1

M42 lenses, are they good?

Dear all,

I am new to this forum and to photography and thought it would be the right place to ask this question. I got a Samsung GX10(like Pentax K10D) and would like to improve my lens. I can get M42 lenses from a relative (for free) and thought some of you might give me some advice on those.

Here are the descriptions I got from my relative

- Industar 50-2 (3.5/50)
- ASAHI OPT. CO. (3.5/28)
- PETRI (2.8/135)
- Cosina (1.4/55)

2 Zooms:

- MAKINON (3.5/28-80)
- HElIOS (3.9/80-200)

Are they good? not too bad?

I saw that I can put them on my camera with a ring (? is that the right word in English? in French it is bague) Pentax Bague d'Adaption M42 / Pentax K - 027075003965

04-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
sai

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi jbc

Sailing in the same boat

I have seen good reviews and suggestions regarding M42 mount lenses, today I got "Helios 44-M 58/2" lens, I am in the process of buying a suitable adapter to use on my Pentax K-x.

Can anyone suggest me if this adapter works.

Regards
Sai
04-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #3

Your best bet is to get a genuine Pentax adapter. M42 lenses are fine but they can be quirky. Best to do some research yourself before buying and go slow or you will end up with a pile of junk lenses you can't use/don't like/can't sell.
04-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by sai Quote
Hi jbc

Sailing in the same boat

I have seen good reviews and suggestions regarding M42 mount lenses, today I got "Helios 44-M 58/2" lens, I am in the process of buying a suitable adapter to use on my Pentax K-x.

Regards
Sai
I dunno. It does not state it will focus to infinity.

04-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the industar 50 3.5 it's a cool little lens (really little it fits in my pocket - the caps double it's size)
I have a newer version of the 28 tak you have (an m series ) and it is also very good, i believe the m42 may be the lesser of the 2 though
the others i haven't experienced but i've seen good exapmples

For an adaptor you want first to try and get the Pentax m42 to K as it is the most problem free.
No the adaptor in the auction is not the right one it's for t mount lenses to m42

the link below will answer most of your questions, have fun with the old lenses

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
04-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi jbc

Sailing in the same boat

Regards
Sai
That adapter will NOT work with M42 lenses. Even though the thread may be similar in size, the thread pitch is different from the M42. You need an actual M42 - K adapter (preferably genuine Pentax) for these lenses. The T2 adapter you show is typically used for lenses from 3rd party manufacturers. The 500mm mirror lenses and the long telescopic lenses you will find on ebay in mass, are examples of T mount lenses.

04-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Forum Member

I've recently bought a Vivitar 55mm M42 lens for macro work and its very very good, I'd echo the comments about buying an official Pentax Adaptor, there are some reports of third party ones getting stuck into the camera body!
04-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

No, all those lenses suck mightily. I'll take them off your hands for a very small fee.

Heh heh.

The zooms may not be great. The primes are pretty fine. The Petri isn't well-known -- the others are. That is an *excellent* line-up of manual primes to start with.

Adapters: The Official Pentax M42-PK is safe but not cheap. It is fine, so long as you don't have a LOT of M42 lenses -- with a large collection (like my 100+ M42's) the (un)screwing gets tedious. Cheap clone adapters, often called Bower-types, are good to leave on lenses. I've had some on for so long, I've almost forgotten they're screwmount lenses. But with the clones, REMOVE THE SCREW AND SPRING OR YOU WILL GO APESH!T!

Another sort of M42-PK adapter is cheap and safe. It has a wide flange, but it's so thick that it doesn't allow infinity focus. It is good for macro, close-up, portrait, and other applications where you don't NEED infinity focus. These are often called flanged or NIF (no infinity focus) adapters. Like the Bower types, they may cost around US$5, while the Official Pentax adapter is several times more expensive.

The bottom line: Start with an Official Pentax M42-PK adapter. Later, especially as you collect / accumulate more screwmount lenses, try the Bowers-type and flanged adapters, see how they work for you. And later, we can talk about M39 vs L39 glass, etc. Have fun!

04-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No, all those lenses suck mightily. I'll take them off your hands for a very small fee.
You mean that he will ship the lenses to you and you also charge him an administration fee for that?

04-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You mean that he will ship the lenses to you and you also charge him an administration fee for that?
Aw hell, I'm feeling generous today, so I'll waive the fee. Just send the lenses!

Let's see, I can get about US$25 for the Industar, maybe US$50 for the Takumar 28/3.5, maybe US$75 for the Cosina -- yeah, no fees are needed.
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

to answer the OP's questions,

most M42 primes can be quite good within the limits of the optical materials of the time, specifically coatings. They are not as flare resistant as newer designs, that is for sure.

they can also exhibit more CA than some newer designs, but that is a personal preference issue more than purely a quality one.

zooms, on the other hand may not be anywhere near as good as modern zooms. I personally stay away from most, although there are exceptions like some vivitar series 1 lenses which were quite good, and available in both K and M42 mount
04-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
sai

Thank you all

I will have to check if someone is coming from US to get the original M42 PK adapters, almost impossible to get in India.
04-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Thank you all

I will have to check if someone is coming from US to get the original M42 PK adapters, almost impossible to get in India.
Order from eBay. I have 2 from eBay, the original ones.
04-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank for your advice. I hope I will enjoy using those lens, I was mainly looking for a prime anyway.

Thanks