Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
M85 versus J-9 rendering comparison

a side by side comparison between two 85mm lenses. cite the difference between bokeh, sharpness and color.

M85/2 at f2

J-9 85 at f2

M85/2 at f4

J-9 85 at f4

04-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Very nice!

And now, I'm wondering how they both look close-up?
I'd like to see how both lenses deal with PF, OOF blooming etc etc.
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I slightly favor the J-9, bokeh-wise. The contrast is a bit lower, but they might end up more similar looking once PP is over with.

At first glance, though, the M85 is the sharpness King!
04-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Very nice!

And now, I'm wondering how they both look close-up?
I'd like to see how both lenses deal with PF, OOF blooming etc etc.
that's the funny part JB. as evident on the full images, the M85 is evidently sharper and more contrasty. this is a far as the 2 characteristics is concerned. but ultimately, when it comes to PF and OOF blooming, this is where the J-9 shines.

the M85 shows significant amount of PF and OOF blooming at wider openings. although the blooming isn't as evident in this example since it wasn't set up under harsh lighting environment, much so outdoors where such blooming occurs in general. although one can't deny that such blooming does indeed occurs and in one way, is destructive. at f2 is where it is at it's worst while at f4 can be a bit tolerable but still shows with less amount. the J-9 however shows a more promising result as it renders OOF with a hazy soft glow which can be a pleasing effect. there are no PF nor CA's that I noticed on the J-9 from wide open so that is a plus as far as being a portrait lens goes.

here are 100% crops of images showing such difference.

M85/2

J-9

04-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Comparing these lenses is like comparing two girls you really loved in high school.

You can coldly break them down into features and body parts, but it really comes down to a certain something, usually undefinable, that became obvious when you held each in your arms.

These lenses are best judged as a complete package, not individual qualities like sharpness, contrast and bokeh. It's how the lens feels when you are shooting with it and what happens when you press the shutter. Which one truly has the magic you seek ... kinda like that moment with your girl.

For me, my M series 85 was that kind of lens. Just felt good holding it, and it had that certain Pentax color rendering that no other lens can really duplicate. It was a lens that could not be replaced until my FA 77 came along.

The point of all this prose is simple ... a lens purchase can't be micro-measured or made by looking at a few jpegs. Ya gotta take the lens out to the dance, as it were; and see if the magic happens.
04-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Comparing these lenses is like comparing two girls you really loved in high school.

You can coldly break them down into features and body parts, but it really comes down to a certain something, usually undefinable, that became obvious when you held each in your arms.

These lenses are best judged as a complete package, not individual qualities like sharpness, contrast and bokeh. It's how the lens feels when you are shooting with it and what happens when you press the shutter. Which one truly has the magic you seek ... kinda like that moment with your girl.

For me, my M series 85 was that kind of lens. Just felt good holding it, and it had that certain Pentax color rendering that no other lens can really duplicate. It was a lens that could not be replaced until my FA 77 came along.

The point of all this prose is simple ... a lens purchase can't be micro-measured or made by looking at a few jpegs. Ya gotta take the lens out to the dance, as it were; and see if the magic happens.
I've done magic for both lenses believe me. I only did this to show the difference between the two and what might be unappealing to some people on certain characteristics.

the truth is, I love the M85 and it's pop-ish colour rendering but hated the blooming that I get on occasions. the J-9 has a weird feel and it has it's moments on certain scenarios. there are compromises involved when using both lenses and it can be dependent on the scenario you want them to be used on.
04-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally

bokeh @ F/2 - J9
fringing - J9

everything else, BY FAR - Pentax M 85mm F/2