Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
both K-Mounts but different

On the left is the new lens I bought for $10. its an 80-200 F4 Macro. The problem is, it isn't the same as the regular pentax K mount. (K and R)
the "tab" on the newest purchased lens is wider then the pentax, but it in every way the same mount. Is there a way to get around this?
is it best to grind it down to the size of the regular mount?
seems like a good lens and am anxious to give it a try if I can make it fit.

looked at the examples on the QA page but I don't see the one I have (could be blind though )

thanks

04-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't attach the "new" lens to the camera yet.

For the lens on the left, you may be able remove the whole shield at the rear of the lens.

If you are handy, you can perform a minor surgery, trimming off the shield. A rotary tool (e.g. Dremel) is particularly helpful.

I can't tell for sure from the photo you post, but I suspect the lens on the left also suffers from the "Ricoh-pin" syndrome. You may want to do a search on "Ricoh pin" to be sure.
04-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here is a pic of the mount. not sure what pins you are talking about?

thanks

04-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The pin at the 4:30 position in the photo you post.

If the pin has a rounded head as in this photo, it's harmless:

but if it's like the one in this photo, it may get trapped in the hole for the autofocus shaft of the body's lens mount:

04-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The R/K designation means it's meant for Ricoh and Pentax cameras.

Just below the 3-o'clock position is a screw, and under that, just above the blue shadow, is the position for a Ricoh pin. Funny, I didn't know that existed on non-A-type lenses -- A-types have a row of contacts between the 12- and 3-o'clock positions. Anyway, I have a few KR|RK lenses with Ricoh 'buttons' not 'pins', that don't get stuck in Pentax mounts. The Ricoh button is no more intrusive than an A-type lens' contacts. Do you have an A, F, FA, or DA lens to compare with? If that Ricoh-whatever protrudes more than a contact button, then it is probably the infamous pin and should be removed.
04-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The R/K designation means it's meant for Ricoh and Pentax cameras.

Just below the 3-o'clock position is a screw, and under that, just above the blue shadow, is the position for a Ricoh pin. Funny, I didn't know that existed on non-A-type lenses -- A-types have a row of contacts between the 12- and 3-o'clock positions. Anyway, I have a few KR|RK lenses with Ricoh 'buttons' not 'pins', that don't get stuck in Pentax mounts. The Ricoh button is no more intrusive than an A-type lens' contacts. Do you have an A, F, FA, or DA lens to compare with? If that Ricoh-whatever protrudes more than a contact button, then it is probably the infamous pin and should be removed.
I took it apart and ground the pin down with a dremel tool until it was smooth to the surface. I then took off the black part and cut it down to the size of the regular size so it would fit in the slot.
and here is the result of my effort
just a try out shot, 200mm wide open. yes I needed to put in some contrast with and sharpening in photoshop, but seems great for 10 dollars and 1/2 hours work. not bad for wide open

cheers and thanks for the help

PS I ground down the pin on my other ricoh lens just in case