Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this what I think it is?

I picked up this SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8 a little while back, and I was wondering what this stuff is on the outside fringe of the front lens.. I think its some oil or grease that someone may have used to lubricate it.. I'm not even sure how much it effects my shots since most of my focal points are closer to center.. but it bugs me and I'm ready to tear into this thing and clean it! Is this grease or something else? And what should I use to clean it, just my bottle of lens cleaner?

Last edited by Chex; 04-23-2011 at 11:30 PM.
04-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's either fungus or the front element is separating.

Either way, you most likely won't see it in your pictures in 99% of the time. If it bothers you, take it apart and clean it (if it's fungus), or sell it to someone else.
04-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wouldn't sell it, I might donate it to my nephew who is just getting into photography and has a T2i, I already ebayed an EOS/m42 mount because I'm going to give him one of the 55mm Tak's I have.. it just sucks that the SMC f1.8 is the contaminated one and the older Super-Tak f2.0 is the clean one.
04-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's fungus... and it's spreading... if you don't clean if off quickly, that lens is nothing more than junk. Already it probably has etched onto the lens coating and possibly will leave an impression even if cleaned off.

04-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pretty sure that's fungus.
It hasn't spread too much yet though, you might aswell have a go at pulling it apart and cleaning it off. Especially if it was a cheap purchase. A camera repair shop could sort it out for you too.

Not sure what your lens cleaner will be composed of, but try getting some isopropyl alcohol and some good cloths. If you need something stronger than that to clean it off, you can try acetone. However with the acetone, avoid breathing in the fumes as much as possible

It looks like the fungus is just on the front element but it's hard to say. If it's just confined to the front element it may be quite easy to get to and clean. But you wont know until you pull it apart

If you just leave it as is, Denis (creampuff) is right, it will just get worse. And yeah the longer it's there the greater the risk of lens coating damage.
A lens with any fungus has very little sale value.
04-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well then I guess I'll pull it apart and try to clean it.. if it doesn't turn out.. well I have the 55mm f2.0 still.
04-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #7

How about my lens in the attached picture? Is it crack, dust or fungus? This is taken from the back of the lens with light source from the front.

Attached Images

04-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's a little bit hard to say definitively, but with the little strands it looks like fungus to me. eek!
04-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chongmic Quote
How about my lens in the attached picture? Is it crack, dust or fungus? This is taken from the back of the lens with light source from the front.
Did you fish that out of a lake? That looks like you've got an algae colony in there.

04-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Did you fish that out of a lake? That looks like you've got an algae colony in there.

I can't stop laughing. You definitely read my mind
04-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #11

Got it from ebay. Brought it to a camera shop, they said is cleanable, with reasonable fees.
04-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZEPsikopat Quote
I can't stop laughing. You definitely read my mind
+ 1 to that.
If the poster would harvest all that fungus he could get pretty rich
04-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
foly huck... people get enough pics through lenses like that Adobe might end up making a new filter for photoshop called "FUNGUS"