Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #1

K mount lenses fungus

I am sure this has been covered many times before but I have a question about fungus in lenses. I have acquired from my father a SMC 55 1.8 , a SMC M - 28 3.5 and a Takumar Bayonet 135 2.5. All are riddled with fungus on more than one element it seems. All lenses have been last used over twenty years ago and even then they were used about twenty times all up.

I do not think the fungus looks as bad as some of the examples I have seen on the forum, but it is spidery although not particularly thick. I am not sure about damage to lens coatings.

I live in Australia so repair costs sometimes are prohibitive. However I am wondering should I sell them as is, or get them cleaned? The prices of some of these items is going sky high thus the need for this posting.

I have a couple of Pentax film bodies so they would likely get some use when I get the urge to shoot some film if I bothered to get them cleaned.

04-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
so how much do they usually charge for the lens to be CLA'd? or merely cleaned?

if it's $50 or more for 1 lens, I say forget it and get yourself a good and clean copy for the same amount or less.
04-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In a post of mine, concerning fungus on my 55mm SMC Tak, it was said that the fungus will just spread and get worse and can etch and ruin the glasses coating. clean it with isopropal alchohol and some good cloth (I'm about to begin my cleaning right now).
04-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Repair costs including adjustment are certainly more than $50 per lens. I think I will probably abandon the idea and search for clean examples. Thanks for the rapid replies.