Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG IF

From what I've read, this lens is the widest full frame wide angle zoom lens ever made. Positives: Sharp, great color, almost no distortion, and can be used on ff or aps-c sensors. Negatives: There are good and bad copies floating around. It seems a bit slow on paper, but I figure with shake reduction, it shouldn't be a problem.

What are your experiences? How are Pentax copies of this lens?

10-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #2

Isn't there a Sigma 10-20, or is that not full frame?

Anyhow I have the 12-24, the downsides are like you said, its slow, but not really a concern for me, since its not exactly a walkaround lens.

It also has a bulbous hemispherical front element, which means no filters except with the lens hood ring on, which vignettes. The element is kind of risky with the way it sticks out, but it has a built-in petal hood arrangement for that.

No problems with build quality or image quality, built like a tank, and takes perfectly good photos.

My DA* 16-50 seems better on contrast and sharpness though, but of course it doesn't go as wide as 12mm.
10-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Isn't there a Sigma 10-20, or is that not full frame?
Thats crop only.

I had a sigma 12-24 for canon, it was big, bulky and sometimes a pain to use. The fact that you had to use part of the hood thing they provide to use filters on it kind of sucks and also that it makes it an 82mm filter thread.

I ended up selling it to my dad and getting a 10-20, i just wanted wider and lighter. The 12-24 is also currently away getting its sticky aperture blades repaired. Ive heard of this happening a bit with that lens.
10-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The 10-20 is a better lens. The 2mm difference is significant. I had a Tokina 12-24 for my N*kon and quickly sold it for the 10-20. I plan on getting the 10-20 for my Pentax.

10-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you don't need the FF support, I have seen side by side tests and the Sigma 10-20 came out well ahead of its bulkier cousin (Sigma 12-24)... Of course we always have to allow for Sigma sample variation :-/