Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Marumi filter

Is Marumi UV filter any good?

04-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

From my experience, Marumi DHG Super series Lens Protect is very good.

It has slim ring with front thread (so you can still use lens cap). Coating is very resistant to flare, fingerprints, oil, dust, etc. Actually, I found its coating is similar to Pentax's SP coating. They even have the similar green sheen.

I have them on my FA LTD and DA* lenses.
04-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

"Good" is a relative term when talking about UV filters. All UV filters are worse than using nothing; the only question is how *much* worse than nothing. Assuming you're thinking of using it for "protection", it should either protect or fail to protect you lens to the same extent as any other. See many other threads on the subject of UV "protection" filters for more opinions.
04-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

UV filters test - Description of the results and summary - Lenstip.com

This article gives a great comparison of many different manufacturers and models of UV filters. Seems like Hoya HMC UV came out on top in terms of performance and bang-for-your-buck. One model of a Marumi MC UV filter is fairly high up on the list of top performers.

04-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I use clear protector filters on some of my lenses, but I only use either Marumi Super DHG or Hoya PRO1. I guarantee you that neither of these will affect IQ in any way unless you are not using a hood and flare becomes a factor.

I try not to use these most of the time because common sense tells you that another piece of glass for the light to have to get through can't have a positive effect (unless that's what it's designed for), but there are circumstances where a little protection is a good idea. I'm sure there are other good brands, too, but the two above, while not cheap, are top-notch without costing as much as another lens.
04-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
"Good" is a relative term when talking about UV filters. All UV filters are worse than using nothing; the only question is how *much* worse than nothing. Assuming you're thinking of using it for "protection", it should either protect or fail to protect you lens to the same extent as any other. See many other threads on the subject of UV "protection" filters for more opinions.
I agree, I only use a filter on my WR lens if I'm going to the beach on a windy day. I find no filter is better for IQ.
04-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chongmic Quote
Is Marumi UV filter any good?
I also do not use UV filters, for reasons already mentioned. However, I like the Marumi products I have used--which are Marumi ND Grads.
04-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Beach & wind are the situations where I use filters, too. But then, I don't care much about quality at that point - I'm already shooting through a layer of condensation and salt deposits, and doubt the optical difference between two plain glass filters is going to matter.

04-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I use clear protector filters on some of my lenses, but I only use either Marumi Super DHG or Hoya PRO1. I guarantee you that neither of these will affect IQ in any way unless you are not using a hood and flare becomes a factor.

I try not to use these most of the time because common sense tells you that another piece of glass for the light to have to get through can't have a positive effect (unless that's what it's designed for), but there are circumstances where a little protection is a good idea. I'm sure there are other good brands, too, but the two above, while not cheap, are top-notch without costing as much as another lens.
I use the same filters, if I use any at all, and in my experience, flre will be increased, despite using a lens hood. A lens hood will only shield the front of the lens, from light coming in sideways. As soon as you shoot against a light source (sun, street lights at nights, any other strong specular lights), you'll have flareing, with or without a hood.

Ben