Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #1

lenses IQ: M 200mm f4 or A 200mm f4

tech specs about both lenses according to Bojidar Dimitrov's webpage Pentax Telephoto Prime Lenses

both lenses are almost the same, there is a difference in construction (M: 6 elements, 5 groups; A: 6 elements, 6 groups)

Wich one do you think has better Image Quality? what do you think about the resolution, color rendition, CAs, etc. (if you have tried both or one of them, or what you have heard is said about them)

ps. Not based on the A aperture funtion that gives you metering, just IQ

Thanks to everybody!!

04-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have the A 200 and I think it's great. Judging from some of the other reviews, it seems a lot depends on the condition of the one you get.
You might want to check here;
Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
04-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the M200 and Find it to be an excellent lens, haven't tried the A. Some people have had Issues with severe fringing but i've not had an issue per se
With the a there is also the a* which is incredibly highly rated but given it sells for oh 10x the price i assume it's not the one you were looking at
04-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
yes i've seen the info at the lens database, the A* looks beautiful, but people sometimes go crazy at lenses auctions and pay a lot of money for old and used glass. i know famous vintage lenses can raise high numbers, but with the K5's better High ISO response if i'm to spend 1200usd i prefer to pay for a brand new lens.

i'm also concerned about weight, because i wan't to take it with me for landscape photography on long trips to mountain climbing, so even if the lens stays at base camp i have to carry about 2.5kg of pentax gear. that's leaving a whole meal to take the camera with me. I did use a point and shoot, but IQ is so bad i rather skip a dinner and take the slr with me.

i've seen at different webpages both are the same weight so what i'm trying to find out is if there's any difference in IQ because there's slight difference in glass construction. I don't really need f2.8, f4 is great because is a lot lighter. As an example a lot of people goes crazy about 50mm A 1.4 and according to resolution tests 50mm A f1.7 has better resolution, i have 50mm M 1.7 and has superb IQ if you find the sweet spot (i like this lens resolution and detail even more than my 40mm 2.8 lmt, the first was 65usd the other like eight times more expensive). So if i can find another great lens with a great price will be excellent! For my purpose with this lens i will normally stop down to f16-f22 and i have plenty of time to plan composition, manual focus and exposure.

Thanks to all for your advice