Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Did "The 15 Limited Controls My Mind Thread" get you to shell over your $$$?
The lens wasn't even on my radar until its thread controlled my mind... and bank account. 3134.83%
I kinda maybe wanted it beforehand, but once I saw the thread my fate was sealed. 2325.84%
The thread helped, but I had a lot of other reasons and interest in the 15 beforehand. 2224.72%
Pfft. That thread made NO contribution to the tragic hemorrhaging of my bank account! 1314.61%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #76
Veteran Member

LBA and Jay

04-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spicy cho Quote
Domke F5XB.
Thanks, that looked remarkably similar to a 10 year old Optex Andy Jr that I already had, so I am using that instead.
05-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #78
Forum Member

Jay's thread not only interested me in the da15 but with wide-angle photography in general. Up until I bought mine, I had only used my tak28 and was less than impressed.(partly because of the crop factor) I find myself going on many more photo walks because of this lens' ability to make ordinary scenes look so stunning. I even take it on some portrait shoots for the wacky perspective it provides. Its size enables me to include it in my, very small, camera bag and because it's there, I use it! The best lenses are the ones you use often.

Ps.
Jhd,
This may not be a thread for you my friend.
05-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #79

QuoteQuote:
"And it demonstrates that pentax actually gets what APS-C is all about - small size that provides high quality in a robust form factor."
This. QFT.

05-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #80
Veteran Member

None of the above poll options lead me to purchase the DA 15 mm.
When I saw the DA Ltd's, I immediately recognized what I tend to call the 'Wetzlar Style' of these litlte primes. As a fierce Leica shooter in the past, I felt sad to have to let go shooting Leica. At the time when I switched to Digital, the Leica M8 wasn't there yet .
I bought the DA* 16-50 mm but was rather disappointed by its IQ, and, I have to admit, I do not like zoom lenses at all, don't ask me why.
As I had, along with the M5, an 'intense love affaire' with the LX, the choise for Pentax's DSLRs was evident, so, when these Ltd's came out, I was the happiest man in the world.
Leica is still the best, yet unaffordable, and the standard in 35 mm photography, but compared to this, Pentax is worth the price and prize.
Do believe me, these Ltd's are good!
05-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #81
Pentaxian

I have now owned this little beauty for a month and I have to say it has met all my expectations. I jumped into the Single in May challenge so I have been using it daily for all kinds of stuff. I really don't think it's going to be off the camera much.
05-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Hey, I tried the lens and I didn't think it was anything special. Set your camera up on a tripod and take the same shot with the DA16-45. If the DA15 is worth twice the price, there should be some hard evidence to justify the dollars...

Again I dare say most people jumped onto the DA15 bandwagon because they like how it distorts the sun. When you glance at the sun, do you see it emitting 14 pointy spikes? I’d rather not see so much misrepresentation of reality. And there's no way around that artificial manufactured look with the DA15.
I must agree that all of the posted examples of sunburst/starburst photos have gotten tiresome, and I am mystified that so many people find them interesting or artistic. Also, I am quite pleased by the performance of my DA*16-50 at the wide end, even though it has major distortion and a tendency for flare and CA wide open.

Nevertheless, I have just placed an order for the DA15, mainly to fill out a prime lens kit consisting of the DA15, FA31, FA43 and FA77. Depending on the circumstances and my mood, I may at times use either the zoom or the primes. It will be nice to have both options.

And yes, Jsherman's thread did get my attention. I am madly in love with the FA Limiteds, so I am very curious to see my own reaction to a DA Limited.

Rob

05-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are several comparisons of the 15mm vs 16-45 and 16-50 in this thread. Now I've been able to check out my own 15mm vs my very good copy of the 16-45. My first DA 15 went back due to back focus. The replacement has perfect AF and was used for the comparison. My lenses appear to agree with the Photozone results for each. Vignetting is equal, the 16-45 is a little sharper across the frame. Flare, CA and distortion favour the Limited. There is a minor difference in contrast but I don't count that for much, because it can be changed with a button. The 15mm is slightly wider but the 16-45 goes from extra wide to mild telephoto. I expect I could tell the lenses apart given side by side photographs of the same scene. I'm not sure I could tell which was used given a single photo. Maybe if the sun was in the frame. One advantage in bright sun though is that the 16-45 takes a CPL and the DA15 doesn't. At least not my thin 49mm B&W.

I bought the 15mm mostly for its size. It fits perfectly in my prime kit and complements my 18-135mm WR (my 18-135 is much better than the one PZ tested). So far I don't feel the magic others see in the DA 15. Maybe it's because I've had the 16-45 for so long, and other than size they aren't that different. Shooting with primes is a different experience though, and the compact size is a treat, as expected. I'm happpy to have it, but it does not control my mind.
05-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 15 thread played a pretty substantial role. I deliberated between the 21, 15, and 12-24 (could only afford one). I knew it would not be my most-used lens, so I cut the 12-24 out of the mix. The decision to go with the 15 was simply that I could crop to 20mm, but could not go the other way around. The sharpness of the 15 images from that threat just blew my mind. I still find it hard to use really well, but it's a great addition to my kit.

I've been doing what matt does (almost)... taking my 15 and 50 out for a spin on a regular basis. They are *very* different focal lengths but they can handle a great deal of subject matter in a very compact package. That was the goal of buying a 15mm prime... to quote Bush... mission accomplished!

Now I'm more of the opinion that I still need something in the 21-28mm range, but I'm happily using the kit for that right now... it's great in that focal range. On the other hand, the kit can't do 15mm (and sucks at 18mm IMHO).