Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Did "The 15 Limited Controls My Mind Thread" get you to shell over your $$$?
The lens wasn't even on my radar until its thread controlled my mind... and bank account. 3134.83%
I kinda maybe wanted it beforehand, but once I saw the thread my fate was sealed. 2325.84%
The thread helped, but I had a lot of other reasons and interest in the 15 beforehand. 2224.72%
Pfft. That thread made NO contribution to the tragic hemorrhaging of my bank account! 1314.61%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I had mine for long enough to start raving about it on another site, and someone told me to check out the "controls my mind" thread on this site. Not sure who had it first. Doesn't matter.
Most everyone who gets the DA 15mm Limited is awed by it right away, and once they get to know it and all its creative possibilities, they become raving fans. I thought I was tired of raving about it, but here I go again. It turly is a special piece of glass.

04-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wanted one as soon as it was announced, but the price was higher than I expected for an f4 lens. I thought it should be cheaper than the 14mm 2.8. Then there were a couple of lukewarm reviews. All the raves in both forums convinced me to go ahead after my initial disappointment.

Edit. I must add, the quality of the 16-45 kept my interest for the 15mm in check for a long time.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-15-2011 at 07:01 PM.
04-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I bought mine just before Jay
Okay, Marc, jay may be evil, but you are the very personification of the LBA demon! Satisfied, now? :P
04-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Ha. I bought mine just before Jay. Read his initial post starting the thread to see if there's any significance to that...
Ultimately it's Sabatella's fault. He and another guy ("Xhantos"? I think.)

Marc had a simple shot of a couple kissing in the snow, and that represented to me exactly what I wanted a WA kit for - impromptu shots of opportunity, environmental captures with (sometimes) a central subject tying it together. For that application the lens had to be as small as possible, because the zooms I had were allowing me to make excuses to leave them at home. (Later I realized that shot was partially staged as part of a wedding series, but it really didn't look very staged - a testament to the photog.)

Xhantos (sp) had posted a series of mean street shots on dpreview that just were masterfully composed, and at the same time obviously unstaged street. One was a shot of a bird coasting overhead, right above the shooter, in the canyon of the buildings. It was one of those shots you just couldn't plan for and came as the result of simply having the cam on you.

There were a few others also who were showing off that contrast/sharpness, and although I tried to make do with a 16-45 stopgap, I succumbed to the voice from the whirlwind and gave in to the mind control.

04-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Xhantos (sp) had posted a series of mean street shots on dpreview that just were masterfully composed, and at the same time obviously unstaged street. One was a shot of a bird coasting overhead, right above the shooter, in the canyon of the buildings. It was one of those shots you just couldn't plan for and came as the result of simply having the cam on you.
That series played a role in my decision to buy, as well. While the 'Controls Our Mind' thread and title is catchy, I find its contributions to be more composition and post processing, than a lens quality demo.

Motivation-wise, I was planning a trip to Italy and wanted a convenient and stealthy WA. Early 15 reviews were a bit inconsistent, but I figured they were the result of user inexperience. Other 'Limited' lenses proved to be good and the street price seemed worth the risk (under $350), so I took the leap.... no complaints, or regrets... great lens.

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-16-2011 at 08:18 AM.
04-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #21
MSD

The DA 15 has been behind the curtains in my mind for a while now, part of my idealistic views of my kit to be.
I'm afraid that my 'friends' here at Pentax Forums have given it the food it needs to break out of the rational 'see to this later' part of my mind and storm the 'well I have this amount of saved money' section, with a ruthless and consistent onslaught using the mystical powers of LBA attack.
Plus, you know, there's the IQ, size, FOV, flare resistance, and of course the... ...
Looks like I have to head back to the battlefront! It's gaining ground on me!
04-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I was looking at either the DA15 or DA21 when spotted the thread's twin over at DPR subtly titled "I must insist you buy the DA15 ltd". That thread is long gone since the post limit is(was?) 150.

Decision made as I figured i could always crop to a 21mm if i wanted to (i havent wanted to).

Either way I blame Jay.

04-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I have been mulling for some time over the idea of assembling a light weight prime only kit. This lens completes that kit:

K-x body

DA 15/4 LTD
FA 35/2
FA 50/1.4
DA 70/2.4 LTD
VL 180/4

I hesitated mostly because the DA 15 was f4. But it was that or my much larger Sigma 14/2.8. The Sigma is now moved to the heavyweights section with my * zooms and primes.
04-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #24
Forum Member

Voted. I can pretty much say it was due to that thread. My initial plan was to get the DA21, although the reason for that was mostly because it was the 3 DA pancakes that were on my radar at first since they were the reason I moved to Pentax in the first place, and I wasn't yet fully aware of the DA15 and the other Limiteds at that time.

The DA15 is now my most used lens, and I consider it to be one of the best and definitely one of the most fun lenses I have ever used. (Previously used Nikon for half a decade, used some Canon and some m43rds as well).

For my style of shooting, wide angle is almost always where I'm guaranteed to have fun - but the DA15 just kicks it up a notch because of its size.

I know for some people, size and weight don't matter, but for someone like me who shoots a lot in crowded urban environments, the size of the DA15 just makes it a pleasure to use. Try weaving in and out of crowded streets and sidewalks with a large lens - it ain't fun.
04-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I was already interested... but that thread most definitely sealed my fate and I probably bought it long before I might otherwise have done.
04-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Ultimately it's Sabatella's fault. He and another guy ("Xhantos"? I think.)
Nope...doesnt matter.... your fault anyway... end of story... this will be your legacy...

Edit: on a side note... DA 15 or not, you are an great photographer.
04-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

This lens retails for nearly US$900 in Oz.
04-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
This lens retails for nearly US$900 in Oz.
That's a serious pinch. I got mine at B&H recently for $499 US when the Canadian Dollar was worth a bit more than the US buck. I figured I'd never see a more favourable situation and that's what tipped me. From DPR, the launch price in April 2009 was $649.95 USD which I considered too high, even with a normal street price discount.
04-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting read but my desire for an ultra wide prime led me to the samyang 14mm F2.8
04-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

15mm is awesome...