Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Did "The 15 Limited Controls My Mind Thread" get you to shell over your $$$?
The lens wasn't even on my radar until its thread controlled my mind... and bank account. 3134.83%
I kinda maybe wanted it beforehand, but once I saw the thread my fate was sealed. 2325.84%
The thread helped, but I had a lot of other reasons and interest in the 15 beforehand. 2224.72%
Pfft. That thread made NO contribution to the tragic hemorrhaging of my bank account! 1314.61%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #31
Forum Member

I'm quite close to pulling the trigger on a DA 15 purchase it meets my requirements, fairly wide, tiny size and the pictures in the thread have made me lust after it even more, I'm just not sure whether I want the 21mm to go with my 40mm first.

04-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Marc had a simple shot of a couple kissing in the snow, and that represented to me exactly what I wanted a WA kit for - impromptu shots of opportunity, environmental captures with (sometimes) a central subject tying it together. For that application the lens had to be as small as possible, because the zooms I had were allowing me to make excuses to leave them at home. (Later I realized that shot was partially staged as part of a wedding series, but it really didn't look very staged - a testament to the photog.)
Thanks! For the record, here it is:

The shot itself wasn't exactly staged - we were just walking back to our cars after the "ceremony" (a paper signing at the courthouse). But they certainly knew I was shooting. and we did take our time about it to create more photo ops. It does seem representative, though, of the sort of opportunistic shot that having a small wide angle lens is great for.

I probably saw the same other series as you, but I don't remember it so vividly. I know I had been marginally interested in the lens at first but was afraid it would be *too* wide, then I had the chance the try one briefly and loved the FOV and the overall feel of the lens. I was still was having trouble deciding between it and the DA21 or even Zenitar 16, though. But shortly after the Photozone review went up and put a lot of people off the lens initially, several people starting posted great things from and about it. Unfortunately, I remember no specifics about the images I saw.

Anyhow, I figure, I might have posted a shot or two that inspired one or two people a bit. Whereas you've got hundreds of shots that have inspired - well, *many* more people. If that's evil so be it :-)
04-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have wanted a wide angle (non fisheye) and was considering the DA12-24 or Sigma 10-20. The DA15 thread along with some DA15 shots in the various Single in.... monthly challenges turned me to wanting the DA 15. I ordered one Friday. Size and weight were also factor. I hike a lot all year around and I'm not getting any younger.
04-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #34
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was so blown away by the DA40 that I had to try another limited lens. That is what led me to purchase the DA15, but unfortunately the DA15 did not (and still doesn't) impress me... so out the door it went. No regrets.

Judging by all the sunburst shots people post with that lens (which look so contrived) that is the main reason for its immense popularity.

04-17-2011, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

Keep practicing, JHD, you'll get there some day.
04-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Judging by all the sunburst shots people post with that lens (which look so contrived) that is the main reason for its immense popularity.
I went through a little phase like this too... I figured the lens was an overpriced gimmick, etc., then I realized that I just wasn't very good with the focal length. It was my fault :P. I'm still not very good, but I'm getting better, and realizing more and more how special this little lens is. It's so absurdly sharp, and so vivid. The perspective it gives allows for some pretty dramatic work. I just need to catch up with it.

But yeah, if the lens does not blow you away right away... give it some time. It's hard to learn to think in 15mm if you aren't used to it.

Great show, btw, Marc.
04-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The biggie with an ultrawide, I find, is finding enough interesting content to fill inside that vast field of view. For that reason landscapes don't really work for me with ultrawides, theres not just enough points of interest. Lines are another thing to watch out for, with an ultrawide I find I have to be very conscious of the lines in the composition and where to place them. Where I position the camera, makes a big difference, even in matters of inches. I suppose these are all basic rules of composition, but an ultrawide is an ultrahard taskmaster of the art of composition.

Still trying, but I feel like I'm getting somwhere finally.

04-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #38

Easy - favourite lens on my C*nons and my OM film cams was a Zuiko 21mm f3.5.

Was as close as I could get to the size and quality. (IQ of the DA15 is equal; NOTHING matches the form factor of Zuiko OM glass - compact perfection).
04-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #39

re: above post

oh, also - 15mm = approx 22.5 FOV = Zuiok 21.

04-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Look what the Easter Bunny brought me!

Happy Easter holidays everyone!
04-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I was so blown away by the DA40 that I had to try another limited lens. That is what led me to purchase the DA15, but unfortunately the DA15 did not (and still doesn't) impress me... so out the door it went. No regrets.

This reminds me of those "Debbie Downer" sketches on Saturday Night Live.
04-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
04-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I realize you must all be sick of sunbursts by now, but its my very first! Never attempted one before. This lens makes it so easy! All I had to do was point and shoot in P mode.
04-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #44
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Hey, I tried the lens and I didn't think it was anything special. Set your camera up on a tripod and take the same shot with the DA16-45. If the DA15 is worth twice the price, there should be some hard evidence to justify the dollars...

Again I dare say most people jumped onto the DA15 bandwagon because they like how it distorts the sun. When you glance at the sun, do you see it emitting 14 pointy spikes? I’d rather not see so much misrepresentation of reality. And there's no way around that artificial manufactured look with the DA15.
04-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Hey, I tried the lens and I didn't think it was anything special. Set your camera up on a tripod and take the same shot with the DA16-45. If the DA15 is worth twice the price, there should be some hard evidence to justify the dollars...

Again I dare say most people jumped onto the DA15 bandwagon because they like how it distorts the sun. When you glance at the sun, do you see it emitting 14 pointy spikes? I’d rather not see so much misrepresentation of reality. And there's no way around that artificial manufactured look with the DA15.
Sunbursts/starbursts are not why I bought it. I wanted a lens with good IQ for all kinds of things. I've had it for a few months now and only did my first (and probably last) starburst a week or two back, just to see if I could. I wanted small and light. I got that. I'm happy.